Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New word from Apple Store

New word from Apple Store
MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 1999, 09:09 AM

Well I was on the phone with apple last night asking about my order (iMac DV SE w/192 megs of ram) which was ordered on the 9th. They said 4 days ago that it would be here by Nov 2nd and that everything would go smoothly (remember 4 days ago) last night, they guy who I spoke with said that there was a problem in production and that dates for iMacs have been moved to the 3rd week of november!!!! Forget that! I ordered now my grape iMac DV from Outpost.com. Now, lets see. At the apple store, I paid about 1700 for a DVSE with 192 megs of ram. I paid 1294 for my regular iMac DV and thatmeans, all the money I save can go into buying my RAM! when the prices come down, I'll save money! Only thing though is that I won't have the extra 3gigs of HD. But I guess firewire has to be useful for something other than my Digital Camcorder right!? Oh yeah, another note, The apple guys said that there is something missing that affects the production of ALL the iMacs not just the SE. (he said "all three lines")

Hope this news was helpful.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

eckonc
Oct 27, 1999, 09:36 AM

Thanks Mike, This is just sad. Its got to be the chips that they are missing, right? Doesn't matter...It just doesn't matter...<banging my head on my Performa 6115CD>

Kim
Oct 29, 1999, 12:49 AM

Well, I was also on the phone yesterday afternoon with the ever inscrutable Apple reps regarding my order of a 350,10/5. Rep holds to the 21 to 28 day order to ship scenario. I felt like punting and ordering from an online mac seller and the rep said I could still cancel my BTO imac... after 4 weeks! This is the same Apple who gave unbelievably fast and courteous service when I ordered a BTO G3 in February. Why do I feel like I'm walking a word maze when I talk to Apple now?

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 1999, 11:43 AM

I too ordered a 350 and on the 20th day it was still being assembled so i called the apple store at 11:30 PM and changed my order to a DV and the thing sent out the next morning with an email that said it would be here on monday. so i don't know what that was all about but i'm not gonna complain. i just hope it comes with OS9 like the rep said it should
WWF rules

crannell
Oct 29, 1999, 12:15 PM

I did cancel my order and ordered from another reseller.

Interesting how they can pre-authorize your credit card the day you place the order, but they can't take the pre-authorization off until it "lapses" (minimum 5 days). So now, thanks to Apple, I have a $1700 pre-authorization counting against my available credit on that card. And they want to go to a direct sales model? Dell is probably praying they will.

------------------
Dr. Wayne Crannell
[email protected]

mtalbart
Oct 29, 1999, 06:34 PM

I think I can top the previous Apple Store horror stories. After ten days, I called to check my order status and they said that it had never been processed because my credit card had a problem. Impossible, I said. Ok, we'll try again, he said. Sure enough it went through just fine, BUT, he said that because they screwed up the first time, my order will now be delayed an additional 10 days, making it at least 30 days from the time of order until I receive my DV SE. I pointed out that this was ridiculous and the order-taker agreed, but said The Apple Store has no provision for correcting mistakes like that and there is no recourse for customers. No wonder Apple wants to wipe out all its reseller

Kim
Oct 29, 1999, 07:15 PM

acidchicken, I tried the route you took. I was informed by Apple rep that ANY imac will take 20 days, including my cancellation of a 350 and reorder of a DV. I think I'll just wait and see as I'm going on 25 days. BTW, Apple rep informed me yesterday that all imacs in production will ship with 8.6! The rep said Apple plans to just make the rebate available instead of shipping OS9. So... has anyone received OS9 with a new imac?

smaffei
Banned
Oct 29, 1999, 07:41 PM

crannell,

I beg to differ about the authroization. You have to explicitly ask for them to remove it. I cancelled an Apple Store order. My credit was still short 3 days later. I called the Apple Store as asked to have the authorization removed. They did it for me that minute and the amount was lifted from my card within an hour.

My advice wait the 5 business days. If the authorization is still there, call again and have them remove it.

Hope this helps.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 1999, 06:33 PM

My davice: cancel and reorder from ClubMac. I'm typing on this on my new SE right now.

-k

eckonc
Oct 30, 1999, 11:03 PM

I have got my iMac DV blueberry finally on Friday around 3PM, 10-29-99, Friday. I ordered it on 10-8-99, took 21 days. The os is 8.6 still. No big deal. I have only good things to say about the iMac. Its worth the wait, I know it seems to be forever.

Onix
Nov 1, 1999, 04:33 PM

I just got off the phone with ClubMac -- they currently have SE's in stock. ordered a new SE and am holding now to cancel my order with the Apple Store. ClubMac rep says it will come with OS 9.0. We'll see Wednesday.

Dragonlance
Nov 1, 1999, 06:32 PM

i think ill do that as well. i called up apple today and the rep said that iMacs will be delayed by a "couple" of weeks. i called them yesterday and the rep told me it would ship this week. i think ive had enough. i love Apple computers, but thed better get their act together now that they have got the publics atention.

------------------
Mac Rules !!! seeya

FjordReject
Nov 1, 1999, 10:51 PM

My order for an imac dv se was placed on 10/15/99 through my campus computer store and it was listed as shipped as of 10/31/99.

Those of you contemplating cancelling your orders might want to wait a bit more.

- Fjord

MemRex
Nov 1, 1999, 11:05 PM

I just got done waiting on the phone with apple for 45 min. I have good news and bad;
The good news is if you make weird noises and ask them to pick up the phone in funny ways, they will most likely do so. That's just from my experience.

Now for the bad news.

Apple is expecting a 20-25 day wait on all iMac 350s. If you're reading this Apple, PLEASE get it together.

Call Apple and see for yourself (1-800-795-1000)
And remember, funny noises get results!

Onix
Nov 3, 1999, 08:02 PM

Good news - I received my DV SE as promised in 2 days. Bad news -- the rep I talked to was mistaken as it arived with OS 8.6. Still, I am very happy with my decision. Recommend ClubMac highly.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 1999, 02:00 AM

Ditto. My roommate just orderd an SE today at Club-Mac, after cancelling his day-old order with the Apple Store. It should arrive tomorrow, while Apple wouldn't be able to make delivery for over 20 days. According to Apple, it would ship with 8.6, while Club-Mac said 9.0 (I think, though I'm not sure to believe that).

To reiterate, go to Club-Mac...they seem to be the only outlet with SE units available (including CompUSA, Apple Store, MacWarehouse, and Outpost.com).

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 1999, 02:34 AM

I recieved my iMac DV yesterday from Apple and it is awesome. I had originally called Apple for a 350 on 10/7. but changed my order on the 28th. they said 20 more days, but it's at my house now 5 days later. Maybe Apple is coming around with their orders. Hope everyone recieves theirs soon. It's worth the wait, believe me.
WWF rules

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 1999, 03:56 AM

Here are some points i thought i should make...

1> Apple still has a lot of the older imacs in the channel, so all the 999 macs might be "delayed" until the channel clears up
2> iMac DV SE is selling like crazy, so they had to ramp up production, thus effecting the 999 imacs.
This missing part, that effects all 3 lines, wouldnt be the chip, and is likely just an excuse.

The above is some fact, some opinion, take it for what it's worth

------------------
-See Yea!

Forum Links
Forum Rules