Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Nonsensical Roger Ebert vs. Numbskull Twitterers

Nonsensical Roger Ebert vs. Numbskull Twitterers
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 03:35 PM

My first time in this thread in a while...

Roger Ebert vs. Tea Party Supporters on Twitter

Movie critic and cancer survivor Roger Ebert has run afoul of some proclaimed Tea Party supporters and things turned ugly.

Gawker.com has some of the tweets which document the skirmish. It all started after Ebert took to Twitter last week to comment on a story about five teens who were sent home from their high school after wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo.

“Kids who wear American Flag t-shirts on 5 May should have to share a lunchroom table with those who wear a hammer and sickle on 4 July,” Ebert tweeted from his @ebertchicago account.

Gawker reports that what followed were some pretty harsh responses from those who took offense. Tweets like “I mean honestly. How many pieces need to fall off @ebertchicago before he gets the hint to shut the (expletive) up” and “You know, @ebertchicago, I’m not as expert on flag etiquette as you. Tell me, which do I fly when you die of cancer?”
Clearly the biggest idiots in this story are the people making fun of Ebert's battle with cancer; those guys were jerks and deserve a nice swift punch to their own jaws.

But can anyone actually agree that comparing wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo (in America) to wearing communist-themed t-shirts on the Fourth of July is a reasonable analogy?

This isn't really related, but weren't the students Mexican-Americans?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2010, 03:38 PM

Ugh. I don't think anyone in this story is guiltless. Both sides seem to be too damn sensitive.

Osedax
Forum Regular
May 10, 2010, 03:54 PM

I have a few problems with this.

1. Ebert was clearly picking a fight - he'd have to be a complete moron to not realize what he said would cause a significant backlash.

2. The counter quotes provided in that article, all 3 of them, are of the same garbage. First, I highly doubt all the responses he received were like this. Second, there's no way of knowing if those posts were by Tea Party members at all.

I think the article is an egregious example of bias reporting.

My opinion - Ebert says to find ugly you have to look at a mind, not a face. Well, I look at how he intentionally tried to pick that fight and my conclusion - Ebert is ugly. Not saying the others aren't, but he surely is as well.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
But can anyone actually agree that comparing wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo (in America) to wearing communist-themed t-shirts on the Fourth of July is a reasonable analogy?
I assume the people wearing those shirts would be living in the non-existent soviet union, if so then what's wrong with the analogy?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2010, 04:27 PM

I don't understand why anyone would feel rebellious wearing an American flag shirt on a Mexican holiday that celebrates victory over France, but whatever. I don't even think Cinco de Mayo is a huge deal anywhere... it certainly isn't looked upon with as much fanfare as their independence day(s). So I think that anyone trying to make a statement against Cinco de Mayo or illegal immigration by wearing shirts with American flags on May 5th is a relatively useless, and pointless, gesture.

What it comes down to is that Ebert says some incredibly stupid things. And people on Twitter replied with equally stupid things.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 04:39 PM

One town in Mexico celebrates Cinco de Mayo, where they successfully fought against French colonials. What the hell does waring an American flag motif have anything to do with Cinco de Mayo?

Also, at least one of the students that wore the American flag clothes was Mexican-American. He knows more about Cinco de Mayo than the retards that walked out during class.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2010, 04:47 PM

The 5 kids who all just "happened" to be sitting at a table together wearing American flag shirts and bandanas on Cinco de Mayo of all days were the ones who were looking to start trouble IMO. And trouble they found. In any event ....

Were bandanas of any color or kind banned in the school? Yes.

Is "patriotic" clothing banned in the school? No.

So should the kids have been sent home to change shirts after they removed their bandanas? Not really.

Given the fact that it was very reasonable to conclude that the kids were intentionally trying to start trouble with the Mexican-American students with their behavior ... is it understandable that the principal sent them home anyway in order to prevent a confrontation? Indeed.

Did Roger Ebert have a point? Partially. He's correct in his assessment that the kids were instigating. However, his analogy was a little off.

Were the Tea Partiers who responded and mocked his cancer completely out of line? Without question.

The thing is ... Cinco de Mayo is technically a celebration of the Mexican Army's defeat of a much larger and better equipped French Army at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. During that time, the French were actively supporting the Confederacy during the U.S. Civil War in order to destabilize the the United States. The Mexican defeat of French forces prevented Napoleon III from re-supplying the Confederate rebels ... which contributed significantly to the eventual victory of the U.S. government over the Confederacy. This is one of the main reasons why Cinco de Mayo is celebrated more in the U.S. than it is in Mexico where it is essentially a regional holiday in Mexican state of Puebla. Having said that, in the U.S. Cinco de Mayo is also a celebration of Mexican-American culture. Much like Juneteenth for African-Americans. Or the Chinese New Year for Chinese-Americans. Or St. Patrick's Day for Irish-Americans. Etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this is the reason why these kids decided to stage their little "protest". So the irony in all this is that the "American flag" that these kids were wearing in order to be provocative still exists in a large part because of the events that Cinco de Mayo celebrates. But of course, something tells me that these kids and the Tea Partiers who responded with so much vitriol to Roger Ebert are quite unaware of this history.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; May 10, 2010 at 04:55 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Given the fact that it was very reasonable to conclude that the kids were intentionally trying to start trouble with the Mexican-American students with their behavior ... is it understandable that the principal sent them home anyway in order to prevent a confrontation? Indeed.
NO !

Let's first dissect your term "Mexican-American".

If those offended kids were Mexican, I suggest they go back to their country if they can't stand the sight of the flag of their host country.

If their were Americans with Mexican descend, I would hope they have no issues with the flag representing their own nationality. If they do, I suggest they move back to the land of their ancestors.

F*ck the political correctness. Anyone should be free to wear an American flag T-Shirt ANY DAY in America.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
NO !

If those offended kids were Mexican, I suggest they go back to their country if they can't stand the sight of the flag of their host country.

If their were Americans with Mexican descend, I would hope they have no issues with the flag representing their own nationality. If they do, I suggest they move back to the land of their ancestors.

F*ck the political correctness. Anyone should be free to wear an American flag T-Shirt ANY DAY in America.

-t

I guess I don't disagree with you, but I have to wonder whether attitudes like this are part of why Americans are generally so insular and why there has been such a cultural decline over the years when it can be difficult to celebrate and recognize other cultures due to backlash of various sorts.

Wearing any flag any day in America should be cool.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I guess I don't disagree with you, but I have to wonder whether attitudes like this are part of why Americans are generally so insular and why there has been such a cultural decline over the years when it can be difficult to celebrate and recognize other cultures due to backlash of various sorts.
Let's turn it around:

Why I feel threatened if I (an American) was living in Mexico, and somebody wore a Cinco de Mayo T-Shirt on 4th of July ?

Don't think so.

So, bottom line: those "Mexican-Americans" need to chill out.

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2010, 05:32 PM

NO !

-t
The issue isn't wearing an American flag t-shirt. The issue is the intent behind wearing an American flag t-shirt in that particular situation. Clearly their intent was to be provocative. The fact that they were wearing an American flag on their t-shirts does not give them a pass for being a*sholes.

If a group of kids rolled up wearing Mexican flag t-shirts during a 4th of July celebration would you take offense? If a group of black kids rolled up wearing red, black, & green Black American flag t-shirts during a St. Patrick's Day celebration ... would that be cool? Certainly Mexican-American or African-American kids have the right to show pride in their heritage. But doing so in a manner that is disrespectful to other people just isn't necessary IMO.

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 05:37 PM

Let's turn it around:

Why I feel threatened if I (an American) was living in Mexico, and somebody wore a Cinco de Mayo T-Shirt on 4th of July ?

Don't think so.

So, bottom line: those "Mexican-Americans" need to chill out.

-t

Why turn it around? Why are Americans often pussies about their own culture and history?

Somebody wearing a Cinco shirt anywhere in America at anytime does not threaten you or anybody else. America is great, but it is completely bizarre to me that so many people feel so insecure about this so much that they are threatened by a stupid t-shirt, or we have to get into asinine accusations that question patriotism over such trivial and empty symbolism such as wearing the wrong t-shirt, flag pin, or whatever. Patriotism is not something that should be used as a political weapon or wedge. It is possible to be very patriotic of your country while simultaneously fond of another (such as your home country).

I think that you would be hard pressed to find Americans that *weren't* patriotic at some level, why we feel the need to try to measure this and use our silly methodology as some sort of litmus test is beyond me. It's the same sort of thing as the points I was making about our Democracy. If it is so great (and it is), why do people go positively apeshit over such relatively minor political changes? Its greatness cannot make it simultaneously fragile enough to warrant such drama. Similarly, the idea that a stupid t-shirt celebrating another country threatens us somehow is just plain ridiculous.

Moreover, this whole "if you don't like it, get outta here" attitude is, like I said, surely partly to blame for this cultural decline we are in. It harbors this idea that America is the best at everything, and therefore no other culture has anything to offer us. How many people do you know who don't travel at all outside of this country, and when they do they basically try to temporarily their lifestyle somewhere else rather than truly experiencing something new?

How can we feel so self righteous about our ways, yet be so incredibly self conscious and feel threatened (your words) by a stupid t-shirt?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 05:44 PM

I completely don't get what you are rambling about.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 05:50 PM

In high school we had kids wearing Soviet flag t-shirts all the time, other shirt examples were: Mao, Ayn Rand, Marx, Malcom X, US flags, Confederate flags, Canadian flags, etc.. I had 3 Rand shirts that I wore on a regular basis, the only tension was when I met one of the Mao or Marx people in the hall, they'd give me the Soviet-style salute and I'd give them the finger. For some reason we were able to co-exist back then, I guess people have thinner skin nowadays.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 06:11 PM

-t

What part is unclear?

Maybe you can explain how a t-shirt poses a threat of some sort?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 06:14 PM

What part is unclear?

Maybe you can explain how a t-shirt poses a threat of some sort?
I can't, because I never said it would.

And I don't get why I get a sermon on "pussies about their own culture and history".

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2010, 06:17 PM

-t

Let me give you a concrete example of what besson3c is talking about ....

Years ago during the early 90s Malcolm X had a huge resurgence in the American psyche in large part due to the seminal biographical film by director Spike Lee. Young African-Americans would wear t-shirts and baseball caps with an "X" logo on it. For some it was statement of solidarity with the cause and legacy of Malcolm X. For some it was the mathematical representation of the "unknown" African name that slavery stripped from African-American people. For some it was a general statement of being "conscious" of the African-American struggle in America. For some it was simply a fashion statement ... the "in" thing to do at the time. And for many it a combination of some or all of these things. You would even see young white Americans rocking Malcolm X gear as well because he had transitioned into being a "pop culture" icon ... much like Che Guevara.

Now I remember this one day during that time I saw this older white man rocking a t-shirt with a Confederate flag on it. And the caption said ... "You wear your X and I'll wear mine."

I recall my immediate reaction was to start laughing ... because I thought it was actually quite clever. But at the same time, I found the entire thing to be pretty pathetic as I saw them more and more. It seems to me that if those who wore those shirts were so secure in their ways or culture, they wouldn't have felt threatened enough by the t-shirts that young African-Americans were wearing at the time (which weren't directed towards them at all) to go to such lengths to "send a message" their way.

And that's the issue with this particular situation. As I said earlier, you didn't have 5 kids who just "happened" to be wearing t-shirts with American flags on them sitting at the same table on Cinco de Mayo. They did this to "send a message". And the sentiment behind that "message" was pretty much the same as the people who wore those Confederate flag shirts I mentioned above. So again, the issue isn't wearing an American flag t-shirt. The issue is the intent behind doing so in that particular situation. Clearly it was to be provocative. Which is fine. But they certainly shouldn't sit up and play the victim and try to act like they are being persecuted for simply being "patriotic".

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; May 10, 2010 at 06:33 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 06:37 PM

I can't, because I never said it would.
What does htis imply to you?

To me it implies that you would feel threatened by a Mexican living here wearing a Cinco shirt on the 4th of July.

And I don't get why I get a sermon on "pussies about their own culture and history".
It was directed at anybody that feels constantly threatened by other cultures doing things in this country, or by the idea that our Democracy and/or way of life is on the brink of collapse.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
If a group of kids rolled up wearing Mexican flag t-shirts during a 4th of July celebration would you take offense?
Nope.

If a group of black kids rolled up wearing red, black, & green Black American flag t-shirts during a St. Patrick's Day celebration ... would that be cool?
Yep.

Hell, I've seen skinheads sporting swastikas during Yom Kippur. It's best to just ignore them, no need to feed them the attention they crave.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 07:34 PM

To me it implies that you would feel threatened by a Mexican living here wearing a Cinco shirt on the 4th of July..
Ha, LOL, this should have read "Would I feel threatened", not "Why..."

So, nothing to feel threatened about, it's just a friggin T-Shirt.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; May 11, 2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spleling)

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2010, 11:41 PM

Wow. A spectacular example of how far P.C. stupidity has gone, and the lack of education behind most of it. Not to mention logic.

There MIGHT be some point in a flag somehow being 'anti-Cinco de Mayo' if it were say, the French flag. But the US flag? Only in the mind of race-baiting nitwits and those who's brains are completely lost to P.C. nonsense do you somehow arrive at displaying the US flag (IN THE US!) being 'anti-Cinco de Mayo'. I mean, does anyone among team 'lets pretend EVERYTHING offends us' ever bother to crack a history book (A REAL ONE) before spouting?

Ebert's original 'comparison' is beyond stupid. It'd be something like going to Thailand, seeing people of Vietnamese decent there celebrating victory over the French in the 1950's, and getting pissed at the Thais for flying their own flag in their own country and making stupid 'nazi' or soviet comparisons over it.

I'm convinced- political correctness gone haywire is an actual DISEASE that robs people of common sense, and convinces people to get their blood pressure up over utterly STUPID SHIT, despite all facts, despite history, despite logic, despite everything but ignorance-driven emotion.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 10:11 AM

The kids who wear American Flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo are trolls.

Then again, I never understood why we celebrate Cinco de Mayo at school in the US.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Only in the mind of race-baiting nitwits and those who's brains are completely lost to P.C. nonsense do you somehow arrive at displaying the US flag (IN THE US!) being 'anti-Cinco de Mayo'. I mean, does anyone among team 'lets pretend EVERYTHING offends us' ever bother to crack a history book (A REAL ONE) before spouting?

Ebert's original 'comparison' is beyond stupid.
Soooo... you don't mind if people get their panties in a twist over wearing commie t-shirts on the 4th of July? We didn't win our independence from commies, so what are you some kind of PC-nitwit who never cracked a history book before spouting?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 11:31 AM

This is all totally stupid, but I will say that if I looked latino, I would probably feel afraid of personal bodily harm in many areas of the USA if on July 4th I decked myself out in Mexican gear instead.

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Soooo... you don't mind if people get their panties in a twist over wearing commie t-shirts on the 4th of July? We didn't win our independence from commies, so what are you some kind of PC-nitwit who never cracked a history book before spouting?
And right on time to prove my point about how P.C. is a disease that robs people of common sense. You can't even make a proper analogy.

Would I care if someone in a communist country wears a communist t-shirt in their own country on the 4th of July? No. Why would I? Why would anyone? Unless your brain has been warped by P.C. stupidity.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 01:12 PM

Would I care if someone in a communist country wears a communist t-shirt in their own country on the 4th of July? No. Why would I? Why would anyone?
Then what's wrong with Ebert's analogy?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2010, 01:20 PM

And right on time to prove my point about how P.C. is a disease that robs people of common sense. You can't even make a proper analogy.

Would I care if someone in a communist country wears a communist t-shirt in their own country on the 4th of July? No. Why would I? Why would anyone? Unless your brain has been warped by P.C. stupidity.

Would you care if somebody wore a communist t-shirt here in America on the 4th of July?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 11, 2010, 01:21 PM

IN CONTEXT to reality, the AZ immigration law had just been passed and in response the illegals and maybe not so illegal mexican student population wants to show disrespect for our laws and support for their illegal buddies by wearing the shirts. So those who decided to show support for the US are singled out in typical liberal jackass style we have come to expect from the knee-jerk-response of union school admins and teachers.

Railroader
Banned
May 11, 2010, 01:42 PM

Let's all be a little honest here, there was probably far more going on here than simply kids wearing American flag t-shirts. And to assume that either side is innocent in all of this would be asinine.

I can't think of a single situation where someone wearing their own country's flag in their own country would be truly offensive.

However, I can think of two situations off the top of my head where other flags on t-shirts in the USA would be offensive. A Japanese flag at Pearl Harbor on December 7th. A Confederate flag during a mostly black occasion, such as a high school graduation.

On the other hand, I don't think people wearing a British flag in the 4th of July would offend anyone.

Canadian flags are always offensive.
( Last edited by Railroader; May 11, 2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Changed December 14th to December 7th)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
IN CONTEXT to reality, the AZ immigration law had just been passed and in response the illegals and maybe not so illegal mexican student population wants to show disrespect for our laws and support for their illegal buddies by wearing the shirts. So those who decided to show support for the US are singled out in typical liberal jackass style we have come to expect from the knee-jerk-response of union school admins and teachers.
Why are you threatened by people practicing freedom of speech by wearing t-shirts? So what if they wear these shirts? How does expressing opposition to these t-shirts show support for the US? Why does the US need support?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Then again, I never understood why we celebrate Cinco de Mayo at school in the US.
It's an excuse for teachers to drink.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
In high school we had kids wearing Soviet flag t-shirts all the time, other shirt examples were: Mao, Ayn Rand, Marx, Malcom X, US flags, Confederate flags, Canadian flags, etc.. I had 3 Rand shirts that I wore on a regular basis, the only tension was when I met one of the Mao or Marx people in the hall, they'd give me the Soviet-style salute and I'd give them the finger. For some reason we were able to co-exist back then, I guess people have thinner skin nowadays.
Grace: Oh, he's very popular, Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, d*ckheads — they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
Mr. Rooney: That is why I need to show these kids that the example he sets is a first-class ticket to nowhere!
Grace: Oh, Ed, you sounded like Dirty Harry just then.
Mr. Rooney: Really? Thanks, Grace.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Let's all be a little honest here, there was probably far more going on here than simply kids wearing American flag t-shirts.
Exactly. 5 kids all wearing American flag t-shirts sitting at the same table on Cinco de Mayo ... of all days? Coincidence? COMMON SENSE would dictate otherwise. Like I said earlier ...

Originally Posted by OAW
Clearly their intent was to be provocative. The fact that they were wearing an American flag on their t-shirts does not give them a pass for being a*sholes.
Hyteckit was a bit more uh, "diplomatic" when he said ...

Originally Posted by hyteckit
The kids who wear American Flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo are trolls.
OBVIOUSLY these kids were trying to cause trouble. Thus far, NO ONE in here has denied that. Instead, the arguments of those who took issue with how the principal handled the situation essentially boil down to "This is an example of PC run amok." So IMO, the question then becomes .....

Why are these individuals more upset with the principal and Roger Ebert than they are with the kids who clearly used the American flag for the purpose of being disrespectful to other people? One would think they would not appreciate the American flag being used for anything other than "patriotic" purposes. I mean ... I'm just saying.

OAW

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 02:28 PM

I'm outraged.

Not sure why yet, but I am.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 02:30 PM

I'm kind of surprised Ebert uses Twitter. Where does he find the time in between watching movies and yelling at kids to get off his lawn?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I'm kind of surprised Ebert uses Twitter. Where does he find the time in between watching movies and yelling at kids to get off his lawn?
And being fat and having cancer! What a multi-tasker.

(Edit: I'm sure I'll regret this, even though its tongue-in-cheek)

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
And being fat and having cancer! What a multi-tasker.
And hating 3D.

finboy
May 11, 2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
This is all totally stupid, but I will say that if I looked latino, I would probably feel afraid of personal bodily harm in many areas of the USA if on July 4th I decked myself out in Mexican gear instead.

I hope you were just joshin' here. I really really hope you don't run around with such a bigoted view of the US.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2010, 03:32 PM

Geez, what else could a smiley like this--> <--- mean ?

-t

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 03:37 PM

Were the students being provocative? Absolutely.

But haven't a lot of people in this forum defended other people's right to be provocative when it doesn't conflict with their own beliefs? Let's just be consistent. As Americans, we all have the right to be "wrong" as long as we're not harming others in the process, don't we?

(note: "harming others" does not include their feelings)

The 5 kids were clearly trying to make a point, but 200 Hispanic students stormed the streets the following day screaming, "We want respect." All I know is that when I see someone mistreated or slandered, and they respond with quiet dignity and resolve, I gain respect for them. When they respond by pitching a fit, I generally tune them out.

My Aunt Sylvia (100% Mexican heritage) thinks the entire uproar is flat-out stupid. This Irish paleface agrees.

Railroader
Banned
May 11, 2010, 04:10 PM

All I know is that when I see someone mistreated or slandered, and they respond with quiet dignity and resolve, I gain respect for them. When they respond by pitching a fit, I generally tune them out.
ROARING APPLAUSE!!!! This, is how you get the idiots to go away. Idiots being provocative have only won if they successfully provoke. Protesters are silent when no one listens.

My Aunt Sylvia (100% Mexican heritage) thinks the entire uproar is flat-out stupid. This Irish paleface agrees.
This 1/2 Mexican & 1/2 Scottish/Irishman (lol) agrees.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
This 1/2 Mexican & 1/2 Scottish/Irishman (lol) agrees.
Are you my cousin?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 11, 2010, 04:50 PM

Why are you threatened by people practicing freedom of speech by wearing t-shirts? So what if they wear these shirts? How does expressing opposition to these t-shirts show support for the US? Why does the US need support?
I'm not. Why can't you get it that the kids with the mexican flag shirts were protesting the AZ law? All those unread dolts are unable to grasp the fact that AZ mirrored FEDERAL LAW in their state law? Listening to the MSM has left you ignorant of the facts. The threats Why were the kids with the US flag shirts singled out? Were the kids with the mexican flag shirts illegals? Don't they want to be US citizens?

Jonathan-Tanya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2010, 12:28 AM

I think we forget the wearable flag was once a violation of Flag etiquette... Now it absolutely has to be tolerated? Whatever. Bunch of dumb flag lovers...yes I was trolling....haha

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Then what's wrong with Ebert's analogy?
What country do these kids live in? What country's flag is theirs?

Jonathan-Tanya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2010, 12:31 AM

Technically a flag that touches the ground is supposed to be destroyed, out of respect....the problem is, with the flag shirt, is if you fall at recess, you have to burn your shirt...it's simply not practical.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 12:32 AM

Why are you threatened by people practicing freedom of speech by wearing t-shirts?
It's funny how you attempt to turn this around, when the people threatened by someone practicing freedom of speech are the people whining about the US flag t-shirts.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 12:35 AM

Would you care if somebody wore a communist t-shirt here in America on the 4th of July?
No.

That's the thing about America that obviously a lot of people don't understand- you're free here to do whatever you like so long as you're not violating someone else's rights, breaking the law, etc. You can wear whatever the f you want on the 4th of July, just as these kids demonstrated very well what a bunch of scared shitless pussies a lot of libs are when someone demonstrates their own freedom of speech- you know, like wearing the flag of your country IN your country!

Jonathan-Tanya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2010, 12:37 AM

Stupid flaggots... No bites eh....guess I haven't trolled in a while....totally out of practice
( Last edited by Jonathan-Tanya; May 12, 2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: iPad spell change)

Jonathan-Tanya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2010, 12:41 AM

No.

That's the thing about America that obviously a lot of people don't understand- you're free here to do whatever you like so long as you're not violating someone else's rights, breaking the law, etc. You can wear whatever the f you want on the 4th of July, just as these kids demonstrated very well what a bunch of scared shitless pussies a lot of libs are when someone demonstrates their own freedom of speech- you know, like wearing the flag of your country IN your country!
Not true... If you were in a military school, and wore a procommunist shirt...you'd be sent home. Schools are not forums for speech...even a regular public school is quite controlled. It's because these are minors and they do not have all the same rights as adults.... The schools usually just try to keep the peace...common sense stuff

Forum Links
Forum Rules