Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 40)
ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2012, 04:03 AM

So, Nintendo are doing their own unboxing videos now...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/07/nintendo-wii-u-unboxed-multiple-users-karaoke-microphone-chat/

Take that, internet

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2012, 06:08 AM

With gloves. Might as well pixelate all the WiiMotes while they're at it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2012, 11:35 AM

"Los Santos is bigger than RDR, GTA IV and San Andreas combined."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2012, 01:46 PM

Put NFS back in. For about 3 mins. Just wasn't as fun as Forza.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2012, 08:59 AM

NFS is way more fun when you've got people to play with.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 07:16 AM

Mother of god.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2012, 09:53 AM

Damn! That looks pretty damn sexy!

In other news, Target leaked out their Black Friday deals. Some things I wanna mention...

4gb Xbox 360 Kinect bundle w/ 2 games is $199
Nintendo 3DS w/ Super Mario Land is $149
PS Vita w/ Lego Batman 2 is $199
1600 MS point card is $10
NFS: Most Wanted is $35

and finally...

250gb PS3 w/ Infamous and Uncharted dual pack for $199

I may actually buy that PS3 bundle. Pretty tempting.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 12:34 PM

Ha, I knew NFS: Most Wanted would drop down in price come Black Friday. I'm glad I waited.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 AM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/1...games-and-dlc/

Nintendo is selling the Wii U in two configurations, with either 8GB or 32GB of built-in storage space. Those figures sound a whole lot better than the 3GB and 25GB, respectively, that the models actually offer to the end user.
n the end, the Basic Wii U model only has 3GB of space left over to store things like downloaded games and save files (the latter of which take up a few megabytes each). That isn't even enough to hold a 3.2GB downloaded copy of NintendoLand, and can just barely hold a 2GB copy of New Super Mario Bros. U. Wii U discs can hold up to 25GB of data, so downloadable versions of some larger retail games are going to be tough to squeeze on to the Deluxe edition's 25GB of available space (and Nintendo has promised that most retail Wii U titles will be offered as downloads the same day they launch in stores).

Of course, the Wii U's built-in storage can be expanded with SD cards and USB hard drives of up to 2TB, which seems like a must for anyone serious about skipping trips to the local Gamestop. Nintendo warns that USB flash drives are not recommended for the system, though, because the read/write cycling speed may negatively affect gameplay performance.
*slow clap*

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2012, 05:42 PM

Any takers for the WiiU? I think im almost completely past the dedicated gaming systems, and its surprising to see Nintendo go for such a high price point.

I'm probably going to be in the market for a second PS3 so if any of you know of any deals comping up, feel free to share....(thanks KC).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2012, 08:59 AM

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the Wii U's storage is an utter embarrassment. My old POS Samsung phone has 12 GB of internal storage for christsakes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2012, 11:25 AM

Well I received an interesting email today, apparently I've been an Xbox Live customer for 10 years now, and have been rewarded with a butt-ugly avatar helmet.

Hooray!

On a serious note. I've never regretting paying for Xbox Live, which has been about 500 dollars over the last decade. Service has been interrupted or down maybe a handful of times and for the most part has just worked flawlessly.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 AM

I think they're giving some of you special edition consoles.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well I received an interesting email today, apparently I've been an Xbox Live customer for 10 years now, and have been rewarded with a butt-ugly avatar helmet.

Hooray!

On a serious note. I've never regretting paying for Xbox Live, which has been about 500 dollars over the last decade.  Service has been interrupted or down maybe a handful of times and for the most part has just worked flawlessly.
Agree. A good service for the price. (I always do ebay for XBL Gold).

---

50% off of a few games on XBL Arcade.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2012, 09:58 PM

Had the Xbox email too. 50% off arcade stuff and Wreckateer for free within the next 48 hours. From what I've seen of Wreckateer, it's a Kinect game I don't have kinect, is it playable with a gamepad (or Smartglass) ?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2012, 10:57 AM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2012, 12:12 PM

Halo theatre +1... or should I say 5GS!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2012, 09:17 AM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/1...ii-u-consoles/

A day-one firmware update is causing headaches for some new Wii U owners, according to reports circulating online. Consoles that lose power while the massive new system software is being downloaded and installed are reportedly being bricked.

L.A. Times reporter Ben Fritz is one of the most prominent people to tweet that his system was rendered useless by an interruption during the roughly 5GB download, which took over an hour to complete in our tests. Other users on Twitter and gaming forums around the Internet are reporting similar issues. While most users are reporting power interruptions as the cause of the bricked consoles, some reports suggest that losing an Internet connection during the download may cause similar problems.

Out of the box, the Wii U isn't useful for much more than playing games. The launch-day update is needed to activate system features ranging from the new Miiverse social network and online eShop to the ability to play older Wii games on the system.
lolololololol

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 20, 2012, 12:30 PM

So apparently the new Hitman game kinda sucks.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2012, 09:02 AM

Oh? I've seen good reviews and solid scores from about 10 different reviews sites. I have all the others and will be picking this one up when I get back into town.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/hitman_absolution/b/xbox360/archive/2012/11/18/hitman-absolution-review-agent-47-returns-at-the-peak-of-his-game.aspx
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/hitman-absolution
http://www.ign.com/games/hitman-absolution/ps3-14348845
http://www.gamespot.com/hitman-absolution/reviews/hitman-absolution-review-6400240/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/11/20/hitman-absolution-review-a-dark-maddening-fantasy-well-executed/
http://kotaku.com/5961499/hitman-absolution-the-kotaku-review
http://www.gamesradar.com/hitman-absolution-review/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20121121/us-game-review-hitman/?utm_hp_ref=homepage&ir=homepage
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/18/hitman-absolution-review/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-18-hitman-absolution-review

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2012, 09:05 AM

It depends on your perspective. It looks like a good game, but not a good Hitman.

The new disguises system work stupidly and the instinct would be alright for noobs but being mandatory just makes it annoying.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2012, 11:06 AM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/1...-xbox-360-ps3/
Nintendo today announced first-week sales of 400,000 Wii U systems in North America, falling short of the mark set by the first Wii, but surpassing early sales of previous high-definition systems.
The original Wii sold over 600,000 units in the Americas in the eight days following its November 2006 launch, which also overlapped with Black Friday. Indeed, the Wii was nearly impossible to find on store shelves for months following launch, selling millions of systems in that time.

According to industry tracker NPD, the Xbox 360 sold 326,000 units in its first two weeks on sale in North America in 2005. The PlayStation 3 sold 197,000 in the last two weeks of November 2006, after launching at prices starting at $500.
Good enough, right?

Some bloke on twitter asked why there weren't more female developers and the resulting landslide created a new twitter trend highlighting the plight of the female developer.

Linking to a NeoGAF thread because they are better than news sites.

What's the story? SEGA has a game coming out called Shining Ark. Whoever is doing their SEO discovered that Youtube is littered with fan videos of Shining Force 3 and Shining The Holy Ark which are muddling its prominence in the results. The solution has been to file endless DMCA takedowns on Youtubers, including prominent once such as TB. Here's where it gets better – TB, as someone who makes money on his channel, has a license from SEGA to post their work, so not only is the notice he was served with irrational, it's also unfounded.

Welcome to the future.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2012, 11:21 AM

What's the story? SEGA has a game coming out called Shining Ark. Whoever is doing their SEO discovered that Youtube is littered with fan videos of Shining Force 3 and Shining The Holy Ark which are muddling its prominence in the results. The solution has been to file endless DMCA takedowns on Youtubers, including prominent once such as TB. Here's where it gets better – TB, as someone who makes money on his channel, has a license from SEGA to post their work, so not only is the notice he was served with irrational, it's also unfounded.

Yeah, that's the problem with alot of big businesses. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. Ie. They didn't bother to go check the license agreements they had before sending out the takedown notices. Sometimes it happens because they outsource things as well... the outsourced company isn't provided the proper info to do their job right.
MacBook Pro

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2012, 10:24 PM

Oh you lucky Canadians, you get the Wii mini all to yourself for now. $99, red controllers, no GameCube compatibility, no internet connection, pop up disc door instead of a slot load.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ed-by-retailer

Yes you did read it right. No internet. So no browser, online gaming or any online stuff with your Mii person.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2012, 12:06 PM

The legend grows...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/former-...failed-6400936

The source also took issue with Free Radical cofounder David Doak and audio director Graeme Norgate's claims this summer that LucasArts effectively sabotaged development of Battlefront III. "There are two sides to every story," the source said.
The situation surrounding Battlefront III may seem complex or convoluted, but according to the source, the game was a failure for three simple reasons. The first, he said, was that Free Radical's sci-fi shooter Haze was late by more than a year, and this took resources away from the first half of Battlefront III's development.

Second, it is the source's belief that Free Radical "underestimated" or "misrepresented" its ability to meet dates and create a compelling product. And third, the situation became even more problematic when Free Radical missed new assigned dates. "This was a huge confidence killer and ultimately their downfall," he said.
"In December 2007, Free Radical still did not have simple AI working in levels," he said. "For much of 2007, Xbox 360 builds simply did not work. Initially, Free Radical claimed it was a US/UK kit difference, but when we asked to FedEx one of their working machines to the US for a build review, they declined."
This was only just the beginning of problems for Free Radical and Battlefront III. In 2007, the source began to suspect that its payments to Free Radical were in fact being used to complete Haze and not Battlefront III. What's more, during this time, Haze became a PlayStation 3 exclusive, which affirmed LucasArts' belief that the studio's engine was not compatible with Xbox 360 at the time.

In August 2007, the source said Free Radical was "struggling" with Haze and Battlefront III and thus began to (as time would prove unsuccessfully) shop around TimeSplitters 4. It was also during this time that the source levied his most serious claims against Free Radical.

"At this point, I felt that Free Radical was akin to a Ponzi scheme where time and budget from the next game was being used to finish the previous, late, title," he said.
I take this as the previous allegations from the other side with a grain of salt, but on the last allegation, I bet he's on target.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2012, 11:55 PM

Wii Mini - It doesn't have an SD card slot either... http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/03/wi...-sd-card-slot/

$99 Canadian looks less of a deal all the time:

Last generation console
No Gamecube
No internet (so no online games, no friends, no WiiWare, no Virtual Console)
No memory card.

So no way to get your existing Mii, game saves or profile onto the console, if you're umm 'upgrading', or off it, if you move onto a full fat Wii or Wii U later on.

For $99, get a second hand Wii.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2012, 09:13 AM

I think it's for parents that don't want their young kids playing online.

But yeah, it presents a big problem if there is no way to move your profile or save games over. Then again, if you didn't create your profile online, you're probably not going to get that profile name online. Someone else likely has it.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2012, 08:04 AM

This one's for you Stogie, my bro...

Atari axes servers for Ghostbusters

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2012, 11:09 AM

Screw Atari/Terminal Velocity. They are forever on my shit list.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2012, 08:52 AM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/1...m-pc-for-2013/

Pointing to a "stronger than expected" response to Steam's living room-focused Big Picture user interface, Newell said that getting the Linux version of Steam out of beta would also be key to developing low-cost, living room-friendly gaming PCs. While he said Valve is developing one such hardware solution itself, Newell sees other PC manufacturers experimenting with setups targeted at the living room gamer as well. "We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," Newell told Kotaku.

Newell added the Steam-based hardware would be aimed to directly compete against next-gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony. Such a move could shake up the game console market. Steam-powered hardware would likely launch with a healthy library of downloadable games at prices often much lower than their console counterparts (especially during the service's frequent sales). It's an open question whether Valve could bring in such hardware at a price competitive with dedicated gaming consoles or with the degree of modular upgradeability that PC gamers have come to expect from their machines.

On that last point, Newell hinted that Valve's hardware would be more console-like than PC-like as far as upgrades. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC," he said. "For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room. The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions and customers can find the ones that work best for them."

P
Dec 11, 2012, 12:49 PM

The interesting part is what OS it will run. The new version of Steam for Linux implies Linux, but that would reduce the number of games supported significantly.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2012, 12:52 PM

I assume Linux because of licensing cost, but I completely forgot about compatibility problems. Is there a possible middleground?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2012, 07:50 PM

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PILTFUYwPAI[/VIDEO]

Not sure if this has been posted (by me or someone else) before, but there you have it. Okami HD for PS3!!!

The team that ported it to the Wii should be ashamed of the job they did. (I do not envy them having to cipher through the original team's code, but they couldn't even get the box art right.). They hadnt even bothered to reencode the cutscenes, so the cutscenes looked like PS2 version with the paper effect, and the game looked like an over saturated high contrast cartoon. I actually purchased the game on the Wii played it for 5 minutes, and handed it over to a friend cause i couldn't return it at the time.

For those who are interested, it was released on disc in Japan, which comes with english subs as well (and it's obviously region free).

And thus completes my wish list for my PS3. Now I'm looking forward to "Last Of Us" and "Last Guardian"(might be hoping for too much with this one).

Cheers!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2012, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The interesting part is what OS it will run. The new version of Steam for Linux implies Linux, but that would reduce the number of games supported significantly.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I assume Linux because of licensing cost, but I completely forgot about compatibility problems. Is there a possible middleground?
Aren't both the Wii and PS3 using Linux based operating systems? Probably with proprietary kernels, but still.

P
Dec 12, 2012, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Aren't both the Wii and PS3 using Linux based operating systems? Probably with proprietary kernels, but still.
HIGHLY unlikely, as that would mean that Sony and Nintendo would have to publish the code for their proprietary kernels under the GPL, and they haven't. What rumors I can find indicate that Sony uses a highly modified FreeBSD kernel (while denying it) and the Wii uses something completely custom.

It wouldn't matter, though: you'd need much more than just the kernel to have compatibility with the PS3 or Wii, and I'm sure Sony and Nintendo would go apeshit if Valve tried to provide that compatibility. What they need to focus on is Windows compatibility, or getting games ported to whatever platform they choose.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2012, 07:22 AM

Coming early next year. Now I'm not so sad about Absolution.

(Awful cover art, however)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2012, 08:05 AM

http://kotaku.com/5967778/this-woman...-loading-times

To show how slow it is, Megumi presses the settings icon and then runs a stop watch. It takes nearly 17 seconds.

And then, she presses back to the Wii U main menu and clocks that loading time, too. That seems to take over 20 seconds.
"Next Gen"

I guess I can't complain about the dashboard anymore.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2012, 11:07 AM

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...sales-in-japan

In less than two years the 3DS has sold more in Japan than the PS3 has in over six years.

According to Media Create (via Nintendo Life), Nintendo's latest portable sold 211,499 units between 3rd December and 9th December, bringing its cumulative total to a whopping 8,799,378. Conversely, the PS3 has only sold 8,716,260 units in Japan.
As negative as that sounds for the PS3, Japan has a strong handheld culture thanks to terrible commutes. I'd give perspective but have no idea what the numbers over here are.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 13, 2012, 11:38 AM

Coming early next year. Now I'm not so sad about Absolution.
(Awful cover art, however)
This has my interest, never played a Hitman game but the general game type does appeal to me. Might keep this on the radar for a pick up, Dakar i know your a fan of the series, any info/advice for jumping into this series? how are the games included in this trilogy?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2012, 11:46 AM

I'm curious whether you know what you're getting yourself into. The relentless planning, staring at the map screen watching guard routes, the having a meticulously worked out plan fall to pieces because some douche bag walked into a room too early.

I liked H2 enough to buy Contracts, which I loved. I didn't care for Blood Money's demo (twice) partly because it had a less than transparent mechanic I couldn't figure out to progress the mission. Still, I thought the HUD looked kiddy. A lot of people rave how good it is. I think there's a divide between those who love Contracts and those that love Blood Money.

Maybe this will give me an excuse to look over youtube for one of the old missions to post.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 13, 2012, 12:14 PM

I'm curious whether you know what you're getting yourself into. The relentless planning, staring at the map screen watching guard routes, the having a meticulously worked out plan fall to pieces because some douche bag walked into a room too early.
I liked H2 enough to buy Contracts, which I loved. I didn't care for Blood Money's demo (twice) partly because it had a less than transparent mechanic I couldn't figure out to progress the mission. Still, I thought the HUD looked kiddy. A lot of people rave how good it is. I think there's a divide between those who love Contracts and those that love Blood Money.
Maybe this will give me an excuse to look over youtube for one of the old missions to post.
That post makes me think i had NO idea what i would be getting myself into... but i'm intrigued. I'm not sure if anyone remembers the original Rainbow Six where you planned with the map prior to the mission, I was addicted to that game and although a different tactic that gametype does interest me.

Looks like more research is required, but a good mission recommendation would help.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2012, 12:15 PM

Rainbow Six isn't a bad comparison, only you'll be planning in real time executing everything in real time.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2012, 08:57 PM

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMP3WdrIJE[/VIDEO]

Ni No Kuni (PS3/3DS)

Some of the best art I have seen a video game; no surprise since Studio Ghibli was heavily involved.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2012, 10:30 PM

Steam Box: whether its their 'turnkey' or a published spec for a build your own or other makers machine - I'm interested. Then I'm not so bothered about getting a Mac mini or lower end MacBook that doesn't have a graphics card.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2012, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Wii Mini - It doesn't have an SD card slot either... http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/03/wi...-sd-card-slot/
$99 Canadian looks less of a deal all the time:
Last generation console
No Gamecube
No internet (so no online games, no friends, no WiiWare, no Virtual Console)
No memory card.
So no way to get your existing Mii, game saves or profile onto the console, if you're umm 'upgrading', or off it, if you move onto a full fat Wii or Wii U later on.
For $99, get a second hand Wii.
I'm still thinking about buying a Wii Mini and Wii Fit for my parents (they are in their 60s).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2012, 12:08 PM

So I got home Friday night and decided I just wanted to chill and watch some NBA. I bought up ESPN, update the the damn thing and try to watch the Celtics game on. Asks me to sign in, which is odd, until i realize it wants my cable, log in. Oh great. WTF, I have ESPN3 through Verizon, people. Navigate around, game is listed as on "Blackout."

I have no idea if it was a local thing, but I suspect I am no longer allowed to watch live NBA from ESPN. Not too terribly surprised, but displeased nonetheless.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2012, 08:17 AM

Hey guyz, how about that WarZ?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2012, 12:05 PM

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 20, 2012, 10:08 AM

Ha. Random teamup, but awesome.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2012, 07:39 PM

Very random, but yesterday on X-Mas day, I had my brother in law over and we had an itch to play some Guitar Hero Metallica. Hadn't played in over a year. Man was I rusty, although it didn't help as each Metallica song averages about 6-7 minutes. My fingers still feel cramped a day later.

EDIT: This is post #2000 in this thread FYI.

Forum Links
Forum Rules