Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > OUYA - Open, hackable, android - Kickerstarter

OUYA - Open, hackable, android - Kickerstarter
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jul 11, 2012, 03:59 AM

OUYA - A New Kind of Video Game Console
Kickstarter Page

Engadget - Preview

Not sure of my feelings surrounding this project and its possibilities yet, for some reason I hadn't heard of this project till yesterday as it started to absolutely go insane on Kickstarter. (up to 2.5 Million on a goal of $950k in less than two days)

The possibilities seem great but what development will actually be done, how long will the "free" last until every game is micro transaction or subscription based?

Well NN'... Discuss.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2012, 05:16 AM

This product will flop so hard, ordinary flops will feel pity for it.

A Linux gaming console? Maybe, if Steam was built in.
A Linux, ARM gaming console? You've just cut the feet from the product.
A Linux, ARM, Android gaming console? You've ruined all potential now.

P
Jul 11, 2012, 07:51 AM

It will flop, but not for that reason. To make a console work against entrenched competition, you have to buy exclusives, and there is no money for that in the $2.5 million.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2012, 12:10 PM

I'm not convinced it will flop. There is a genuine excitement for it, and it's venturing into territories that Microsoft and Nintendo seem completely unwilling to explore, and Sony only with Dust 514.

Free-to-play's momentum is building. I've pledged a few dollars to reserve my user name. I'm interested.

And yes, I know -- I'm interested in every console.

Malcolm Owen
Jul 19, 2012, 03:11 PM

Apparently they have managed to get their first "Exclusive" game, a prequel to still-in-development Human Element. Robert Bowling (of Call of Duty fame, has the Twitter handle @fourzerotwo) tweeted that his company Robotoki would put episodes on the console, before the full Human Element release scheduled for 2015...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2012, 03:18 PM

Problems, the hardware price is unrealistic, I would bet it will be 3 times the cost, the controller has a lot of patents on it, Nintendo and Sony and Microsoft could hold them up from that. By the time its out next year but I really think it will be 2014 everything will be different.

The track record on kickstarter for hardware projects like this is not very good.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules