Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple without MS

View Poll Results: Will Office be taken off the Mac by 2012
Poll Options:
Yes, and actually this will be the last release! 2 votes (11.76%)
Yes, and there will be one/two More release in 2011/2012 2 votes (11.76%)
No, But it will go off the market by 2014 0 votes (0%)
Maybe and Maybe not. Seems possible. 8 votes (47.06%)
No, and I cannot forsee MS taking it off in the future 5 votes (29.41%)
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll
Apple without MS
ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2008, 08:36 AM

I see a bright future. I think I can make a bold prediction; Office 2011 (or whatever they call it), if they make it, will be the last version of Office for Mac. After that, they will cancel ALL Mac compatibility. It's not worth it. The Mac is not a Microsoft-friendly platform. They will refer you to VMWare Fusion if you want to run Office. Crossover (for 2003 and XP) will also be an option. As well as an outdated Office 2008/2011 copy. But most will go for the obvious; iWork will become popular with people who need an office suite. Very few people use a Mac for extensive office work (other than page layout and online design those who do will either defect to windows full-time, or use Boot Camp/VmWare/Parallels/CrossOver. For those who need other capabilities, Mariner, Papyrus, Nisus, Google, NeoOffice, OOo, and Mellel offer solutions. I predict this based off MS's downsizing of the Mac division, Apple's launching of iWork, and other factors.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 02:14 PM

I think iWork is there for Apple as a backup incase that ever does happen.

Do you have any info of how long MS is contractually obliged to make Office for mac?

I definitely could see that in ~5 years, with Macs getting a much bigger home/student market-share, MS just ceasing development all together no matter how profitable office for mac is, or how many people would be dependent on it. Seems like something they'd do.

But, in ~5 years, iWork could be a true competitor to office, and work SEAMLESSLY with it on windows comps (still too many bugs when transferring docs/keynotes/spreadsheets back and forth).

It will be very interesting, to say the least.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2008, 02:26 PM

AFAIK M$ was only under obligation to produce Office Mac for four or so years after the 1997 agreement. They haven't be contractually obligated for quite some time. If Office on OS X is profitable M$ will continue to produce it, unless M$ really wants to screw over Apple.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If Office on OS X is profitable M$ will continue to produce it, unless M$ really wants to screw over Apple.
That's exactly my line of thought: as of now, they're making a ton off of it ($400 for the standard edition!!!) but in a few years, if Apple becomes a "serious" (in MS's eyes) threat to the home/consumer market, they could be total dicks and stop making it. It really would hurt Apple, unless as I said they really really improve iWork to prepare for that.

Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 05:16 PM

Adding Numbers to iWork was an obvious move to making iWork on par with Office. Apple knows that sooner or later, Office for Mac will be gone.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 05:51 PM

I don't think MS has any plans to leave the Mac.

Incidentally, I tried Office 2008 at the Apple Store today. Very nice.

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 07:47 PM

I reckon by 2012 most apps will be web-based anyway.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 08:00 PM

Microsoft used to brag that they made more money off of every Mac than Apple did. I don't think it costs MS much to make Office, and they make a boatload of money off of it. That said, MS is having no fun in the Zune/Vista era and 2012 is a long way off in computer years.

Cold Warrior
Jan 30, 2008, 08:08 PM

Right now, Office 2008 is probably going to be a nice addition to the bottom line, while they're going to be eating the R&D costs of the Vista debacle for years to come.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2008, 09:31 PM

Ummm ... MS through virtual machine or Bootcamp is still Apple with MS.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 10:15 PM

Yeah but that way they have to buy windows AND office. Seems like a great business plan to me!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 10:34 PM

The saving grace is that Microsoft makes money on Office for the Mac, all the while keeping feature parity to a minimum, thus 'encouraging' Mac business users to migrate to Windows + Win Office.

However, if the open-format document movement continues to gain traction, Microsoft Office may eventually no longer be a necessity for many. We can hope!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2008, 02:52 AM

I think as the Windows platform shrinks, Microsoft will be looking to the Mac more and more as a way to generate revenue.

Office and Windows have been their two big money makers. If (when actually) Windows starts to lose share to Linux and OSX Microsoft will still want to maintain a revenue stream on whatever replaces Windows. Since they already have a good foothold in the Mac market I suspect they will really start to push Mac-Office. They might even create a Linux version .... who knows?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2008, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
The saving grace is that Microsoft makes money on Office for the Mac, all the while keeping feature parity to a minimum, thus 'encouraging' Mac business users to migrate to Windows + Win Office.

However, if the open-format document movement continues to gain traction, Microsoft Office may eventually no longer be a necessity for many. We can hope!
Count on Microsoft to pervert any standard it touches enough that any idea of cross-platform compatibility flies right out the window. This is a large part of how Explorer has managed to keep such a solid foothold in so many places despite sucking so much for so long.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2008, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Microsoft used to brag that they made more money off of every Mac than Apple did. I don't think it costs MS much to make Office, and they make a boatload of money off of it. That said, MS is having no fun in the Zune/Vista era and 2012 is a long way off in computer years.
Record setting quarters for M$ equals no fun? I wish I could have fun like that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Count on Microsoft to pervert any standard it touches enough that any idea of cross-platform compatibility flies right out the window. This is a large part of how Explorer has managed to keep such a solid foothold in so many places despite sucking so much for so long.
Actually, count on any proprietary company to do that (Apple included)

Forum Links
Forum Rules