Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS Chooser at startup

OS Chooser at startup
GoofyFBI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 09:04 AM

Hi,

A friend of mine brought his new TiBook at home this week-end (just to impress me, I presume !) and, among things, demonstrated the "OS Chooser" during OS X startup -- when the "Option" key is pressed...

I'm now wondering why my B&W G3 doesn't offer this great feature (same OS X version) ? Have I done a bad installation of the OS, or is it just firmware-based and not available to us, poor G3 owners???

Even if I don't need that much swapping from OS X to OS 9.x (though), I think this would be way less painful than, currently: 1) starting OS X; 2) launching System Prefs; 3) Selecting the new startup partition; 4) Waiting for the focus (even if Mac OS X is pre-emptively multitasked...) !

Thanks any answer,

Jool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 09:49 AM

That only works with newer macs, like iMacs and G4's.

/jool

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2002, 09:49 AM

One of my buddies has a beige G3 and when he starts up in 9 and presses the option down, it restarts in X, but I think it only works this way round. I would try other keys like 9 or N.
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

GoofyFBI  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 10:36 AM

That only works with newer macs, like iMacs and G4's.
Damned! That's bad news...

One of my buddies has a beige G3 and when he starts up in 9 and presses the option down, it restarts in X
Yep, thanks to a control panel, I used this before.
I just hoped an OS X update brings us this feature via software, not hardware...

Thanks to all of you.

v0id7
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 12:05 PM

I'm pretty sure you also have to have the 2 OS's on different partitions for this to work also.
_______void_______

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2002, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by GoofyFBI:
<STRONG>
Yep, thanks to a control panel, I used this before.
I just hoped an OS X update brings us this feature via software, not hardware...

Thanks to all of you.</STRONG>
well, an OSX update wouldnt really help as the screen you refer to lets you choose which OS to boot into, therefore if you can see the screen OSX (by definition) isnt booted yet and so it cant provide this feature!

sarcasm aside, its all down to the firmware in 'new world' machines, of which the B&W G3 was a member, and yes, it's to do with having more than one partition, if you have more than one then holding down option will let you select between them. Dont know how you specify which system folder on a single partition to use though, could be that you cant.

Perhaps a firmware upgrade would help you?

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 03:10 PM

this used to work on my pismo with version X but since X,1 it hasn't. no idea why.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2002, 08:10 PM

On older machines you should be able to set up something similar with an OF script or yaboot, but only if you've got a strong stomach

Forum Links
Forum Rules