Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MIDI rerouting in Garageband 10.1

MIDI rerouting in Garageband 10.1
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 20, 2017, 03:31 PM

I picked up an electronic drum set off of Craigslist yesterday and it has a USB port to allow it to communicate with a computer. It works great except that a couple of the drum pads don't line up in Garageband - the high hat plays as a crash, the crash plays as a tom, the ride doesn't work, the toms are backwards, etc.

I found a possible solution in MIDIPipe. This brilliant explanation goes over exactly how to resolve my problem.

The issue? MIDIPipe is apparently no longer supported in the latest version of GarageBand and OS X. Audio/MIDI setup doesn't recognize it as a valid MIDI source, and neither does Garageband.

Considering that I'm a cheapass and this drum set was stupid cheap and will only ever be used for dicking around, I'm looking for a solution that costs as few dollars as possible. I've seen some people suggest that just buying Logic Pro X will allow me to manually map everything, but that's $200. I'm assuming the guy offering it for $25 on eBay isn't valid.

I suppose some kind of MIDI interface would allow similar reconfiguration?

Worst case I can just drag out the old MDD Powermac G4 and run old Garageband.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2017, 09:38 AM

Well I might be in the clear. The seller threw in an Alesis Trigger IO unit that takes the drum pad inputs and routes them to USB or MIDI. The module itself lets me program each drum to a specific MIDI note. Once I get the hi hat pedal working I'll be fully functional.

Forum Links
Forum Rules