Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Plaxo - Really useful!

Plaxo - Really useful!
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 10:25 PM

Wary of signing up to Yet-Another-Web-Service-I-Will-Never-Use, I have skipped out on Plaxo for now. But when we recently started using Google calendars at work - being in a mixed PC and Mac environment, I was looking into getting it synced with iCal for the Mac users using Spanning Sync.

After reading the not-so-positive reviews of it, and seeing several mention Plaxo as a solution I decided to look into it. Basically what it does is create a persistent calendar/address book online that is synced across all your services (Mac, Gmail, Gcal, Outlook etc.). The thing is - it works really really well, better than iSync even. The Mac client is integrated directly into address book and mail, syncing the updates live (as opposed to iSyncs scheduled or manual syncs). It also integrated directly in Mail as well.

Their (new?) web interface is pretty slick too, taking a page from Facebook. It aims to consolidate your online life as well (Flickr, Facebook, MySpace etc. etc.) and seems to do a fairly decent job of it. LinkedIn and Xing aims to be the "facebook" of the professional world, but I just don't really see it happening. This might actually have a shot at it though. The price is right (free!) and the services they provide are lifesavers.

OK, enough of this gushing spam-like post. Anyone have any experiences with Plaxo?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 11:08 PM

I've used it for a while, but haven't paid attention to it's recent changes.

Gotta revisit it as I'm in the process of redeveloping my "contacts access" strategy.

-t

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2008, 11:57 PM

Yep I agree it's a very nice, useful service. I use it to sync my Outlook address book and calendar at the office to my Mac desktop, notebook and iPhone. It is fully automatic so I don't have to even think about it anymore (sometimes I almost forget that it exists).

zro
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 12:41 AM

I've always been a little wary of sending my contacts to some corporation I really know nothing about and have no reason to trust.

Though I do consider it from time to time.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 12:59 AM

CalDav ftw.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

pooka
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 01:35 AM

Yeah, I've been curious myself. Why are all these web services so anxious to get a hold of my address book?

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Yeah, I've been curious myself. Why are all these web services so anxious to get a hold of my address book?
I can't answer that but I can say that not a single person in my address book, nor myself (being in other people's address books who are also signed up for plaxo), have reported any spam or e-invasions of any kind as a result.

Not exactly scientific but..... I don't really see the harm.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 03:38 AM

I was wary of Plaxo when it launched, but it seems to have developed a good reputation.

The "new" web interface (Pulse) is akin to something that I've always wanted, something that aggregates all my online life. It seems to do a fairly decent job of it too, creating a feed of all my online activities (youtube videos, facebook posts, last.fm etc. etc.).

I'm so impressed in fact I am currently routing my domain to my plaxo profile: Erik Kambestad Veland's Public Profile - Powered by Plaxo

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2008, 07:15 AM

Sounds like a type of toothpaste.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 08:34 AM

or a heartburn medicine.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 09:21 AM

So, hold on. Plaxo lets you sync a Google Calendar account with iCal? That sounds very interesting.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 10:00 AM

Unless they've just updated it, it's only a one way sync with the Google services right now. I basically use it as a way to keep my Google address book (I use hosted Google mail for work) with my Mac AddressBook so that I have access to everything from my iPhone. Since my main concern is having the info on my iPhone it works well enough, but it is a bit annoying that it doesn't go both ways.

zro
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 10:26 AM

Wait minute... You can't sync contacts between Address Book and an iPhone? That's ridiculous. Tell me this isn't so.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Wait minute... You can't sync contacts between Address Book and an iPhone? That's ridiculous. Tell me this isn't so.
You can. You can't, however, sync your Google Mail address book with your iPhone. That's why I use Plaxo to sync it with my Address Book.

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Sorry, to clarify what I meant: I use Plaxo so sync my contact list in Outlook, at work, to Address Book on my Mac(s) at home. I then sync my iPhone the normal way which gets me up to date everywhere.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2008, 12:39 PM

I've Plaxified my Address Book and Calendars. I am running my duties on three computers, two phones and numerous guest locations if I travel and don't want to take my laptop with me. Plaxo + google.com/ig allows me to be almost up to date with contacts and calendars. Coupled with proximity bluetooth syncing for the phones, it's brilliant for "type it once anywhere, have it stored automatically everywhere you need".

And if I would have to crawl back into Windows cave, I'd be able to have my contacts and calendars synced just as well. But that's a minor point.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules