Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ARD follow a computer outside of local network

ARD follow a computer outside of local network
slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2008, 05:26 PM

I have a MBP and an iMac with ARD 3.2 on them. I want to be able to connect to the internet anywhere with my MBP and have ARD find my iMac and connect to it. My iMac is connected to the internet through the following devices:
Router (also DSL box) > Network Switch > iMac ethernet

How do I setup ARD so that the two computers and find each other when they're not on the local network? If I go to whatismyip.com, all of my computers show the same IP, so the internal hardware is distributing it between machines. How do select a machine out of the single IP?

Thanks

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 06:26 AM

You have to set up a static IP for the iMac and switch on port forwarding for the ARD ports in the router to pass ARD requests through to the iMac.

Then go to no-ip.com and set up a dynamic dns domain and run the client on the iMac to keep the domain updated.

Alternately, .Mac's (MobileMe's) Back-to-my-Mac feature should do this as well, under 10.5, and you wouldn't need to buy/pirate ARD to use it (though you'd probably still have to set up port forwarding in the router).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2008, 07:41 AM

DynDNS.org is an alternative to no-ip.com.

You could also try HamachIX, and see if ARD works through the created VPN.
Always have a DynDNS.org service run in the background though.

-t

slpdLoad  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 06:37 PM

Thank you for the replies, I just need a couple more kicks in the right direction.

I got an account setup at DynDNS.com, and made a hostname of [slpdLoad].dyndns.org, and had it point to my IP address.
I downloaded the updater client to my iMac.
I setup port-forwarding of 3283, 5988, and 5900 on my router to go to the local IP address of my machine that I set manually.

Now what do I do in ARD on the laptop to find the iMac? The only ways I know to add computers is through the scanner and by address. If I enter [slpdLoad].dyndns.org as the address, it puts that as my DNS name and finds my IP address, but that's it. It doesn't really go through and connect to the iMac.

What am I missing? Thanks

Edit: Hmm, I did a scan on my DNS name setup by DynDNS, and it finds something that seems to be my identifier by my ISP Verizon. Does this mean the router isn't forwarding the ports properly?

(As a little rant, why can't the Apple Remote Desktop client figure all of this out and keep track in the background? All I should have to do is open a few ports that it tells me to and be done with it.)
( Last edited by slpdLoad; Jun 24, 2008 at 07:16 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2008, 09:46 PM

ARD is quite finicky when it comes to ports.

I'm not sure why 5988 is needed, I have only 5900 and 3283 open.
However, I have UDP and TCP open for 3283.

To be honest, I haven't used ARD from outside in a long time, I always only use VNC with Screen Sharing or SSL.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules