Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White MacBook Vs...low-end Unibody MacBook????

White MacBook Vs...low-end Unibody MacBook????
masugu
Senior User
Dec 25, 2008, 03:10 PM

Planning to buy one for my sister. A non-techie with kids...

I've done a side by side on the specs...It appears that there is not a ton of hardware differences. 2.0 CPU Vs. 2.1 GHz (white plastic) and the graphics chipset / form factor. Looks like a bottom of the line unibody MB is $300 more than a White plastic MB with 2 gigs of RAM.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks! It's been a while since I have been on these boards.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2008, 04:00 PM

No Firewire on the unibody.

No multi-touch trackpad w/ gestures on the plastic.

Faster system bus on the unibody.

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2008, 04:11 PM

Personally I think the unibody is more durable and it is more compact. What I suggest is you visit a store or even a Best Buy to get hands on with the unibody to see if you can.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Personally I think the unibody is more durable and it is more compact. What I suggest is you visit a store or even a Best Buy to get hands on with the unibody to see if you can.
having compared them before purchasing (a 2.4g unibody macbook); new one is lighter, thinner.
brighter screen (but more reflective). trackpad is great (once u get used to it).

the whitebook is a good buy, but i'm happy with my choice of the newer macbook.

either way, it's a mac, it runs os x. (maybe i'm not much help here..? )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2008, 06:05 PM

Yup...I have an original rev 1 Core Duo BlacBook.

Have played with the unibody extensively at the Apple store...Won't get one for myself until SSDs come down / they change the architecture a bit more. I just lost track on what was done to the old white MacBook feature-wise...

It may still be a better deal - but not by as much as I would have liked to see. Now that I think of it, the White could get trashed just as quickly with Kids around.

Thanks folks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2008, 06:24 PM

It's a tough call. The unibody has much better graphics performance but lacks Firewire. I wouldn't buy either unless I needed a 13" display laptop, and I won't buy or recommend a unibody MB unless and until FW returns.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2008, 06:32 PM

Hmm. Interesting Big Mac.

Good points. It is a tough call...Not sure the $300 difference is worth trading up for...but I HATE being penny-wise / pound foolish.

I know my Sis won't be doing any gaming - other than casual gaming - or anything really graphics intensive. Mostly iPhoto / some iTunes. Don't think she uses Firewire.

The HP / Vista Business combo I got her a while back is acting up. Thinking the whitebook may have a few years left in it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I won't buy or recommend a Mac unless and until PPC returns.
Adjusted for credibility.

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2008, 10:12 PM

I would say Unibody Macbook. For what your sister needs a Unibody Macbook will do just fine. She can use her camera via usb ports if she has one. Games will do great via the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M chips. Call of Duty first version works great and her kids can use games on it with no problems. There are some hi-end users that need Firewire for the products that they use. I myself paid a little extra and brought the 13" 2.4 GHz and up the ram to 4 GB. But thats just me.
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Dec 26, 2008, 02:24 AM

Rat....

More good points. However, I am looking at a WhiteBook config with 2 gig of RAM for $1074 Vs. a low-end unibody for $1299. The latter has 40 gig more of HD space. So I guess I am really trying to decide if spending $225 more gets me more than say buying MS Office... Ack. Might as well get the Unibody.

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2008, 02:51 AM

I had to go look at the Mothership website. I would say yes on your 2 gig of ram on the Whitebook config. I went with the Unibody Macbook
2.4GHz
13" 2.4 GHz
* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 4GB DDR3 Memory ( extra cost from 2GB)
* 250GB hard drive
* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Some say the Unibody macbook screen has glare if there are lights behind your desk. I did have a light right behind my desk but I moved it. You know the saying that which ever one you get you will wish you got the other. So far I love my new Macbook! The only problem I have is the wireless Micropoop USB mouse I brought from Best buy. I have to pull out the adapter out and plug it back in every once in awhile because it acts as if it has a weak connection to the mouse. I get a new Mac about every 4 to 5 years and this was the first one I ever brought from the Mothership. Thats why I got it souped up a little. I came over from a ibook 900 using 10.4.11. I enjoy all the new bells and whistles that 10.5 has.

Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2008, 04:44 PM

The phrase "non-techie with kids" makes me jump right to white MacBook. It's cheaper, does the same stuff, and is still a nice piece of design.

Koralatov
Senior User
Dec 26, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
The phrase "non-techie with kids" makes me jump right to white MacBook. It's cheaper, does the same stuff, and is still a nice piece of design.
I couldn’t agree more. Go for the white one; for her, I doubt the improvements made to the Unibody would be of much benefit.

WhoIsBillyTapWaters
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by masugu View Post
Planning to buy one for my sister. A non-techie with kids...

I've done a side by side on the specs...It appears that there is not a ton of hardware differences. 2.0 CPU Vs. 2.1 GHz (white plastic) and the graphics chipset / form factor. Looks like a bottom of the line unibody MB is $300 more than a White plastic MB with 2 gigs of RAM.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks! It's been a while since I have been on these boards.
''

Hey man, I have the White MacBook, and it is the best Mac ever.. of course it's my first mac, but, my cousin has the Aluminum MacBook Pro and it really sucks.. even he said, he brought his back to get a White MacBook.

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2008, 11:30 PM

White Macbook will do fine for a non-techie with kids as would a unibody Macbook. Buy the cheapest and if she needs more ram or apps the she can buy them. To each their own! I myself love the new Unibody Macbook.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2008, 09:07 AM

I'll buck the trend and say that given the superior GPU, a sturdier enclosure. The unibody MB makes a better buy. While your sister maybe a non-techie are her kids? I'm sure her kids will want to play games on it at some point and the white MB may not be up to the task because of its anemic GPU
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules