Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Anyone have a Griffin Firewave?

Anyone have a Griffin Firewave?
slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 01:47 AM

Hi, so I got a Logitech 5300e 5.1 system, and I'm looking to get surround sound from games. I mostly play Halo (which I can't figure out if it uses OpenAL or not) but I'd like to get into UT2004 (which I know supports openAl).

Can anyone give me a brief review of their experience with the Griffin Firewave? I'd use it for movies too, but wanted to know if it would be worth the money to improve my gaming experience.

Unfortunately it seems to be pretty much the only option for an external surround sound card on the Mac.

nhesson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 03:32 PM

please for the love of god, do NOT waste your money on this. The software is horrible and the sound quality sucks.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 04:23 PM

It works fine for me. The only problems I've had with it were due to a bad FireWire cable, which was easily replaced, and with the setup application. It gives you all the options, but doesn't really explain which ones to use if you get an error.

The sound quality issue will depend largely on what speakers you're using.

-r.

nhesson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 05:06 PM

I have the logitech x-540.

The software never remembers my settings so i have to adjust them every time i reboot.

the "pro logic" audio sucks and hardly ever works properly, or makes really weird audio emulation. Any suggetions?

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 05:49 AM

Any more comments?
I'm interested on the firewave as well. I'm not putting high hope on the unit. But as long as it does better job than the internal output of my macpro I'm happy.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Kevlar
Aug 15, 2007, 10:27 AM

Works fine for me in WoW.
Intel iMac 1.8
Logitech Mx 7000
Firewave
Logitech z-5300 5.1

slpdLoad  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the replies. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm still interested.

Kevlar, does WoW recognize it as a multichannel device, or is the Firewave still just upmixing the stereo output from WoW? Thanks.

paulmack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 02:56 PM

I must agree with nhesson on this!
I bought one a few days ago and the nearest I have had to any sound being generated is the test noise generator in the front left - after which the software crashes horifically, most often taking down my system prefs and finder in the process.

I am running OS X 10.4.6 on a 2x2.5 GHz G5 and am using (or trying to use) the Firewave in conjunction with a Logitech Z5450 system (which incidentally works perfectly via optical out from the mac or through my MOTU Ultralite).

I have written to Griffin support so I am hoping for a resolution - so far though it ain't looking (or sounding) good!

Paul.

Kevlar
Aug 29, 2007, 10:23 PM

Nope it works with WoW and UT2004 just fine. The sound is coming out of the correct speakers the way it's supposed to.
Intel iMac 1.8
Logitech Mx 7000
Firewave
Logitech z-5300 5.1

Emrys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 05:43 PM

I have the 5450 as well, and am looking into this. I will most likely be getting an iMac. I really only play WoW. I will of course be playing SC2.

Any more thoughts on this device? I guess I'll just need to try it and see, but these speakers are great, so if the sound quality complaints are based on speaker hardware, then hopefully I'll be alright.

Forum Links
Forum Rules