Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Yes, I know you weren't expecting me to quit that app.

Yes, I know you weren't expecting me to quit that app.
slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 11:03 PM

Dear Mac OS X,

While this is not a common occurrence, I feel like our relationship is mature enough that I can tell you I hate your little messages informing me when an application has "unexpectedly quit". It's painfully obvious when the program I'm working on suddenly disappears off the screen. I know what happened and it's OK. What's worse, I can almost always manually relaunch the program faster than you can display that message. I *always* click "ignore" and get back to my workflow. Why can't you just give me the option to not see this message anymore?

Also, when I (rarely) have to Force-Quit and application, please do not inform me of my actions with that same dang message. I know I force quit it. I'm sorry I startled you, and that you weren't expecting me to do so, but I was fully aware of it.

Thanks,
-slpdLoad

P.S. Seriously, does anyone know of a system-level service I can disable to stop this dialog box from popping up? I've never once had a use for it.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 25, 2007, 11:58 PM

It gets to me more when I Quit an application myself. If it doesn't shut down cleanly, the dialog comes up.

"The application SoAndSo has quit unexpectedly ..."
- no, you dummy. I expected it to quit when I issued the Quit command. Theory credits issued, now go back to your room. Thank you.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
I've never once had a use for it.
You could use it for sending Apple the crash reports. That might increase the stability of whatever you are using right now in future releases.

If you have the developer tools installed you can use the "CrashReporterPrefs" utility to set Crash Reporter to "Server" which will not show those dialogs.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
If you have the developer tools installed you can use the "CrashReporterPrefs" utility to set Crash Reporter to "Server" which will not show those dialogs.
It's what I did. I always install dev tools. I use it as an over-glorified res-edit in a way.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 05:35 AM

If you don't want to install the multi-GB dev tools, you can just open the Terminal and enter this command:
[codex]defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType none[/codex]
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 06:53 AM

Mac Pilot, and the myriad of programs like it, all have the option to turn these dialogs off. One of the first things I do after a fresh install

slpdLoad  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 05:31 PM

Excellent, thanks guys. I ran the terminal command.

Forum Links
Forum Rules