Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sleep Problems

Sleep Problems
jdrumstik
Jan 29, 2007, 11:17 AM

So my MBP Rev A (10.4.8 and boot rom MBP11.0055.B08)

Anyways, my MBP has problems sleeping. Often times I will close it before I go to sleep and the sleep light dims in and out like normal. Then I open and nothing happens. the screen refuses to light back on. I have given the Apple Key a few taps and swung the mouse around and I cannot get it to wake up. Any one have any ideas?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 01:33 PM

Does it wake up at all? Does clicking the mouse button, hitting return, or clicking an external mouse do anything? Or do you have to completely restart?

jdrumstik  (op)
Jan 29, 2007, 04:59 PM

The screen simply isn't coming active, the computer is actually still on; i got it to make some noises one time when it didn't like me clicking or something.

BTW, nothing like this ever happens on my WinXP Partition.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 11:52 PM

Well one thing to try is opening Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permission and Verify Disk. This could clear up little errors like what you're getting.

jdrumstik  (op)
Jan 30, 2007, 02:15 PM

Good suggestion, I didn't even know about that being a long time M$ guy. It fixed a few permissions, but I still get the problem.

Like I said the screen simply won't light up, I can turn caps lock on and off. And this morning I fixed it by pressing the power button and then pressing enter.

Anyone else know?

bloodline
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2007, 09:50 AM

Avoid coffee in the afternoon/evening and don't eat before you go to bed

I'm really sorry, I couldn't resist!!!
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

jtice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2007, 11:15 AM

I'm having what i assume to be the same problem. mine is set to require the password when waking from sleep. sometimes, not all the time, after i type the pw the input screen disappears (as expected) but the screen stays dark. when i push any key, like i would do to wake it up, does not bring up the input again. at this point the machine is awake but the screen is inactive. i've had to manually shut down using the power button and restart.

this does not usually happen with routine sleep-wake cycles. this morning i had to do it after a battery calibration cycle overnight and also had super duper still active after a network backup the night before.
Now that everyone knows it's just a matter of waiting for 1.20.09.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2007, 12:21 PM

that is happened to me a couple of times... I just assumed it was because I opened it to quickly after I closed it... all I had to do to fix it was close the lid until th light started to pulsate and then open it again.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 08:31 PM

After searching endlessly for a solution to a similar problem I think I finally figured it out. My Powerbook would go to sleep normal, then within .5 - 1 hour the sleep light would go off and not come back on. If I opened the lid, no screen. It was still active as I could adjust the sound etc., just no video. I would be forced to power off and restart. After trying a number of things I finally started watching the console logs. It seems the Blue tooth controller was waking my Powerbook while sleeping. After 2-3 times of this happening, the sleep light would just shut off. I turned off blue tooth and it sleeps and awakes fine. Hope this helps someone else.

jdrumstik  (op)
Feb 12, 2007, 11:09 AM

Seems to have fixed the problem for me; turning off the bluetooth, but what a hassel. Now if only Apple Would write an Update for it, Perhaps someone who is very smart could write a script to run when the computer first goes to sleep to disable bluetooth.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2007, 12:48 PM

Go into the Bluetooth settings and shut off "Allow Bluetooth to wake this computer". I did that instead of disabling it and it sleep perfectly.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by CobraNT View Post
Go into the Bluetooth settings and shut off "Allow Bluetooth to wake this computer". I did that instead of disabling it and it sleep perfectly.
exactly, the program has already been written... personally I have it set to wake, that way my mouse and keyboard will wake the computer and I havn't had an issue.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Forum Links
Forum Rules