Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Logic board / video card separate?

Logic board / video card separate?
CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2009, 07:55 PM

I have a MBP 17" 2.4. Anyone know if the logic board and video card are separate pieces?

ibook_steve
Jan 14, 2009, 09:03 PM

No. And this is the biggest misconception about a video "card." It is not a card. The only place you'll see an actual card is in a tower machine like the Mac Pros. It is a GPU (graphics processing unit) on the motherboard, soldered down. Too many people (and even tech web sites) call it a "card" when there is no "card" to speak of in Apple laptops. That annoys me to no end.

(\end rant)

In any case, they are not separate.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2009, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Too many people (and even tech web sites) call it a "card" when there is no "card" to speak of in Apple laptops. That annoys me to no end.

(\end rant)
On a related note, what the **** is up with everybody talking about external USB or Firewire audio "cards"?

This is an audio card:

Note the distinct lack of externalness.

Might as well just capitulate and ask about Firewire SoundBlasters or what.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
No. And this is the biggest misconception about a video "card." It is not a card. The only place you'll see an actual card is in a tower machine like the Mac Pros. It is a GPU (graphics processing unit) on the motherboard, soldered down. Too many people (and even tech web sites) call it a "card" when there is no "card" to speak of in Apple laptops.
I'll second this.

Also, for many people 'card' implies exchangeable. And this can be misleading too. Some white iMacs came with their GPU soldered to an MXM card. Actually the physical layout corresponded to MXM, but it never really became clear if Apple stuck to the actual MXM specs or if they just used the same physical card and pin-out. So while these iMacs technically did have a graphics card, the card could not be replaced with another type. You could not buy a PC MXM card and put it in your iMac. Nothing like that. The purpose of using this "card" was that Apple could could offer BTO options w/o having to have different MLB versions and they were able to replace faulty GPUs w/o replacing the entire MLB. That's it. For the customer there was no difference to having a soldered GPU (as on the MBP for instance).

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. The logic board was replaced in my MBP a few weeks ago for a no video issue. When I called Applecare they seemed convinced the video card now needs to be replaced after I continue to have distorted video issues. Pretty sad when Applecare doesn't even know the system board.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2009, 09:50 AM

They say video card and mean GPU. Since on the MBP that's soldered to the MLB they're essentially suggesting the MLB be replaced again. If you now get the impression the person on the phone doesn't really know what he's talking about, rest assured you're not alone.

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2009, 12:52 PM

I am no Mac expert, but I was pretty sure the GPU was on the logic board. The guy I talked to, wasn't sure. I think this MBP is the worst unit I have had from Apple. My 17" Powerbook was great other then the HD failing within days of getting it. My wife's iMac 20" is perfect...no issues. My 30" display, perfect, no issues, but this laptop needs to be smashed on Youtube and sent back to Apple.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
On a related note, what the **** is up with everybody talking about external USB or Firewire audio "cards"?

This is an audio card:

Note the distinct lack of externalness.

Might as well just capitulate and ask about Firewire SoundBlasters or what.
A card in a box is still a card; what alternative do you prefer, "external audio device"?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2009, 06:11 PM

There is NO digital device that isn't by definition "a card (or a collection of cards) in a box".

How about "audio interface"?

My audio interface is three boards, a power supply, and sixteen led meter chains in an aluminum box.

I've never heard anybody call a USB tv tuner a "video card" or a "tv card".

It's just a pet peeve - nothing that's gonna kill anybody.

Forum Links
Forum Rules