Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Do any current Macs boot into OS 9?

Do any current Macs boot into OS 9?
birdman
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 11:15 AM

I'm using this ancient SuperMac clone from 1997 at work (for graphics work, no less) and it ain't fun. Eventually, some time soon, theoretically, my company will be getting me a new Mac. But with new eMacs having been just released, does Apple still make any machines that will boot into OS 9? Or will we have to be looking to MegaMacs or some other reseller to get one? (As much as I love OS X for my personal use, using an X machine at work would require the company to upgrade all our software, much of which is so old we can't even get upgrade pricing! Plus, then we'd have the issue of different Macs using different versions of software, which, although doable, is still annoying. Also, our overpriced printer/scanner has no X driver and doesn't behave in Classic.)

Thanks,

-birdman

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 01:55 PM

Check store.apple.com and you can configure a PowerMac G4 or an iBook G3 that will still boot into OS 9.
I've got a StarMax 3000/240 (I believe it's from the '97 era) and I can't imagine using it on a daily basis! It was fun to tinker with and such, but it's a pretty old machine!
Good luck with the upgrade situation.

Brad

birdman  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Check store.apple.com and you can configure a PowerMac G4 or an iBook G3 that will still boot into OS 9.
I've got a StarMax 3000/240 (I believe it's from the '97 era) and I can't imagine using it on a daily basis! It was fun to tinker with and such, but it's a pretty old machine!
Good luck with the upgrade situation.

Brad
Ah yes, I forgot the G4 PowerMacs were still available. Thanks!

-birdman

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2003, 10:37 PM

If you can still find one new, try to locate a dual 1.42G PM. When you are ready to move to OSX, you'll have a decent machine for it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Aquafire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 04:22 AM

Thanx for the tip about the dual machine that can boot into OS-9 & OS-X.
I still love the friendly Mac usability of OS-9. Even though I have the OS-X disks, I just can't get used to it as an operating system. Well, for the moment anyway.

Guess I am one of those slow to convert...learners...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
If you can still find one new, try to locate a dual 1.42G PM. When you are ready to move to OSX, you'll have a decent machine for it.
Actually, I goofed. The dual 1.42GHz model is not OS9 bootable. Sorry. The current PM sold at the apple store is the best deal for an OS9 machine EVER.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules