Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook doesn't "see" hard drive

PowerBook doesn't "see" hard drive
lemmyc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 05:40 PM

Hey, everybody! Longtime lurker--first time poster here!.

I just bought a new 15" AlBook and I'm loving it. My problem is with my old 867 MHZ TiBook. I wanted to clear my info off before I gave it to my mom and I erased the hard drive with Disc Utility.

The problem is, when I put in the "Install Panther" disc, when the time comes to choose a disc to install it on, it doesn't "see" the uninitialized hard drive. Nothing shows up!

Should I not have used Disc Utility to erase it? Is there any way of getting it to show up properly so that a sysytem can be installed?

Thanks in advance if you can help!

chadseld
Forum Regular
May 20, 2005, 11:57 PM

Probably. You can partition and initialize the disk with Disk Utility. Boot of the Panther CD and choose Disk Utility from one of the menus (don't remember which).

Alternatively, you can boot and hold down the 'T' key. This puts you into firewire disk target mode. Run a firewire cable between thi TiBook and AlBook. Then you can launch Disk Utility on the AlBook and initialize from there.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Forum Links
Forum Rules