Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Battery Dying??? Startup problems

Battery Dying??? Startup problems
Unclej78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 05:02 PM

I have a Beige G3 MT, no upgrades, minimum OS 9.2.2 software. I ordered this off of ebay about 2 months ago. Did a fresh install of the software on the harddrive.

It won't let me do just a restart. I've been fighting this for weeks. It is stable and doesn't need to restarted often.

This is what happens. If I do a restart it stops after running the system check. The mouse appears and runs for second then it disappears and then nothing else. If it starts up correctly the process is the mouse appears and then it examins the extensions (ethernet, etc) then everythings fine.

OK, the only way I figured out how to start it up w/o crashing it to pull the plug and wait a few minutes then it starts up just fine.

Could this be a battery problem? The time isn't lost and zapping pram doesn't seem to help in the process.

Could it be a harddrive problem? I don't have any problems once its started up and running.

Any ideas or question?
( Last edited by Unclej78; Sep 9, 2003 at 06:24 PM. )

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 10:26 AM

Try zapping the PRAM. Restart and hold Command+Option+P+R until you hear 3 chimes.

Unclej78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2003, 03:55 PM

One of the first things I tried.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Unclej78:
One of the first things I tried.
So you did. I guess I missed that in your first post.

<-- me

Ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by Unclej78:
I have a Beige G3 MT, no upgrades, minimum OS 9.2.2 software. I ordered this off of ebay about 2 months ago. Did a fresh install of the software on the harddrive.

It won't let me do just a restart. I've been fighting this for weeks. It is stable and doesn't need to restarted often.

This is what happens. If I do a restart it stops after running the system check. The mouse appears and runs for second then it disappears and then nothing else. If it starts up correctly the process is the mouse appears and then it examins the extensions (ethernet, etc) then everythings fine.

OK, the only way I figured out how to start it up w/o crashing it to pull the plug and wait a few minutes then it starts up just fine.

Could this be a battery problem? The time isn't lost and zapping pram doesn't seem to help in the process.

Could it be a harddrive problem? I don't have any problems once its started up and running.

Any ideas or question?
----------------------------
It sounds like an "extension" conflict somewhere. I could be wrong, of course, but perhaps after you replace the battery you should try turning each extension off and restarting the computer. It takes forever to accomplish that task, since you will have to turn each extension off, then ON if it isn't the culprit, until you find the right one.

What has always worked for me is reinitializing the HD, then performing a clean install of Mac OS 9.x. For the rest of the software, I always leave any anti-virus installation for last. Before I install any software (after OS 9.x), I go to the Extensions Manager and select "Mac OS 9.x.. All), and restart the computer and proceed with the software installation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules