Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iSight Update Address FireWire Issues?

iSight Update Address FireWire Issues?
iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 04:20 PM

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in but... has anyone installed the iSight update and noticed any improvements to FireWire under 10.3.2? i.e. jumping mouse, stuttering audio and slow data transfers

Apple recommends users of iPods and other external devices to install the update. I just wanted to see if anyone had luck with curing the FW problems!
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 04:41 PM

I installed the update; however, never had any FW problems before the update, so I can't test that...sorry...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 05:02 PM

I'd think it would only be of benefit when you also have an iSight connected. The updater only installs the firmware updater and an iSight kext.
Vandelay Industries

iPond317  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 06:34 PM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93705

For best performance in Mac OS X, install iSight Updater 1.0.2 if you also use iPod mini, or more than one FireWire drive, including an iPod.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 09:07 PM

some people had problems if using the isight and moving data to hard drives at the same time. I never did both at the same time so I don't know.

"If it's broke, you choke."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 01:19 AM

Yes, I read Apple's advice as use an iSight and also use iPods or FireWire drives, then install this update. It seems very unlikely that it helps when not using an iSight since the iSight kext wouldn't be loaded. That's all the installer changes besides the iSight's firmware. It doesn't modify any of the other FireWire kexts.
Vandelay Industries

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2004, 02:54 PM

a few months ago, after immediately after plugging my iSight in, with an iPod in the other FW port, the FW ports on my logic board died.

Forum Links
Forum Rules