Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Major iPhoto bug!

Major iPhoto bug!
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 06:51 AM

I have found that iPhoto '04 absolutely WILL NOT add a photo/jpeg file to the Photo Library is the file is already contained within the iPhoto Library folder (i.e you manually place an image there). That is, it goes through the normal actions of importing the image, but then does not display in the Library at all and the original file remains unaffected.

This goes for both drag-and-dropping the image, or using the Import command. If this is the intended behavior it really shouldn't be.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Mar 7, 2004 at 12:07 AM. )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2004, 01:06 PM

Just curious, why would you want to do that? If you want a duplicate of a photo (perhaps to work on, or something), you can use the menu to create a duplicate. Sorry for being dense.
Mary

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 12:07 AM

Valid response. It is an unlikely situation, though I thought it was a big enough bug to warrant discussion (I should just send off some feedback to Apple I guess ^^ ). It's not about creating duplicates, but say you open a photo in Photoshop, modify it and perform a Save As, placing it in the same directory as the original. There's no way to put this photo into iPhoto then! It's easy to get around, however it needlessly forces a duplicate file to be made (still trivial I know) and it's confusing for novice users (my mother recently encountered this situation, and I wondered why this behavior is there if not a bug).
esdesign

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2004, 03:28 AM

So you're saying that if you save the file on the desktop, for example, then iPhoto will import it. But if you save it to the iPhoto library folder, iPhoto will not import it?

Chris

krove
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 01:35 PM

When you use iPhoto to open a photo in another editor (like Photoshop), all you have to do is save it. The original gets backed up and the new version takes the place of the old one.

Pretty simple.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Apfhex:
I have found that iPhoto '04 absolutely WILL NOT add a photo/jpeg file to the Photo Library is the file is already contained within the iPhoto Library folder (i.e you manually place an image there). That is, it goes through the normal actions of importing the image, but then does not display in the Library at all and the original file remains unaffected.

This goes for both drag-and-dropping the image, or using the Import command. If this is the intended behavior it really shouldn't be.
this is MAJOR iPhoto bug?

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
So you're saying that if you save the file on the desktop, for example, then iPhoto will import it. But if you save it to the iPhoto library folder, iPhoto will not import it?
Yes. It will seem as if it has imported, yet it won't have.

Originally posted by krove:
When you use iPhoto to open a photo in another editor (like Photoshop), all you have to do is save it. The original gets backed up and the new version takes the place of the old one.

Pretty simple.
Really? How does it not just overwrite the same file? Or do you have to do it by specifically picking the "Edit in External Editor" option?

Originally posted by jparisi:
this is MAJOR iPhoto bug?
I wanted to change the title, but...
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules