Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > utterly showing my ignorance - I'm so sorry.

utterly showing my ignorance - I'm so sorry.
inigopete
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 06:17 PM

I've been given a powerbook needing work. I've been working on it and put the bits back together.
Having never used Macs before, (recent convert from PC) I've had a bit of a search for how to reset all the things I need to reset (although if someone could summarise them in one simple post I'd appreciate it) - zapping PRAM, etc. Anyway, people have mentioned pressing the command and option keys together - sorry to sound like an idiot, but I know the command key is the one left of the space bar with the apple and four-blob symbol on it; but which is the "option" key? Is it the same as the function key (bottom right, has "fn" on it)?
Sorry this is such a newbie post.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2004, 06:34 PM

The Option key is also the Alt key. On the Pro Keyboard, it is the one next to the Command key. Not sure about the PowerBooks though.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 06:37 PM

between the ctrl and command on the left hand side is the option/alt key on a powerbook.

apple support has some very helpful docs about resetting everything for your powerbook.

inigopete  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 07:11 PM

thanks!
sorry to be a newbie.
moderators, please delete this post if it's just clogging up the board now.

: P

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 07:36 PM

don't sweat it, there are *much* worse posts than this one

gbarill
Mar 30, 2004, 03:12 AM

no kidding!

besides, nothing wrong with being a newbie, everyone was at some point, and hey, how else do you learn if not by asking?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by inigopete:
I've been given a powerbook needing work. I've been working on it and put the bits back together.
Having never used Macs before, (recent convert from PC) I've had a bit of a search for how to reset all the things I need to reset (although if someone could summarise them in one simple post I'd appreciate it) - zapping PRAM, etc. Anyway, people have mentioned pressing the command and option keys together - sorry to sound like an idiot, but I know the command key is the one left of the space bar with the apple and four-blob symbol on it; but which is the "option" key? Is it the same as the function key (bottom right, has "fn" on it)?
Sorry this is such a newbie post.
No need to apologise, helping out is what this place is about!

Forum Links
Forum Rules