Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another Powerbook vs ibook Thread! Oh yeah!

Another Powerbook vs ibook Thread! Oh yeah!
warpedten
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 04:41 PM

So I posted this question over in the powerbook forum, I'll bet you can't guess what they suggested : ).

I want to buy a laptop, and i've narrowed it down to iBook G4 14" (either one of the models) or the lower-end Powerbook G4 15". I'm a college student, and I wanted to be able to use the computer around the house and at school, plus I wouldn't mind traveling with it in the future. I play games sometimes, but not TOO often. I'd also like to use the laptop to convince my friend (who wants a new laptop) to buy a mac.

Money's important, but not TOO important.

And is it better to wait until some refurbished/refreshed models are available? To save money, I mean.

Please, give me advice....
Thanks in advance.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 05:17 PM

what do you want to do with it? do you need an audio in? will you need the extra ram available with the 15"? how about the screen res? why am i still asking questions if you can do a search and get all the questions i just asked there?

if i were you, i would go for the 15" especially if you can afford it. will this be your only computer? i have a 14" as my primary right now, and i kinda wish it were a 15" plus they look cooler and less like a piece of gum.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2004, 05:21 PM

I would also go with the 15". IMO, the build quality of the AlPowerBooks is much better than that of the iBooks. In addition, the 64MBs of video memory will make a noticeable difference in even the current itteration of OS X. I am sure that as the OS progresses, it will become even more useful. 32MBs is simply not enough for a good Quartz Extreme/OS X experience.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

warpedten  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
what do you want to do with it? do you need an audio in? will you need the extra ram available with the 15"? how about the screen res? why am i still asking questions if you can do a search and get all the questions i just asked there?

if i were you, i would go for the 15" especially if you can afford it. will this be your only computer? i have a 14" as my primary right now, and i kinda wish it were a 15" plus they look cooler and less like a piece of gum.
I want to be able to do basic things (web, music, email, etc)...and play some games... do some programming.... maybe some photoshop stuff.

I don't need an audio in.

I'll definately bump up the memory to 768 or so, but I don't see myself needing more than that (I hope).

Higher screen res is good, but wouldn't it also make it harder to read small text? (Like HTML embedded in emails!)

This will be my only computer...

Do you have a 14'' because of the specs, or the price?

Hope that clarifies things...

kdixey
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 05:33 PM

If money is not important than I would go for the the 15" powerbook. It's a better, faster more flexible machine that will likely remain a viable machine for a longer time than the ibook.

The things that would recommend the ibook are

- the ibook is more rough and tumble
- the ibook will probably have better Airport reception
- I believe the ibook (the 14" one) has a longer battery life than the powerbook

Personally, I like the look of the ibook over the powerbook. The powerbook looks a bit conservative IMHO.
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I would also go with the 15". IMO, the build quality of the AlPowerBooks is much better than that of the iBooks. In addition, the 64MBs of video memory will make a noticeable difference in even the current itteration of OS X. I am sure that as the OS progresses, it will become even more useful. 32MBs is simply not enough for a good Quartz Extreme/OS X experience.
for $50 (only on the 1.5 ghz one.. WTF?) you can shift up to 128 mb.

i have a 14" because of the price point (still like $1700) at the time the cheapest pb was $2500. and its an old one too 700mhz g3. still chugging along though.

check the refurbs, i have heard good things about those. or the legacy ones or whatever.

go with the 15" ESPECIALLY if it is your only comp. having a wider screen like that is a godsend. expos� is kinda helping here on my comp, but my safari window takes up the whole screen.

just my $.02

Dimitri
May 9, 2004, 05:37 PM

Higher screen res is good, but wouldn't it also make it harder to read small text? (Like HTML embedded in emails!)
Not if the screen is bigger itself. Plus, it's a widescreen, which is always more useful for real estate. Better video, BT and AE built in, optional backlit keyboard, Gigabit ethernet, faster memory, etc. If money wasn't the primary concern, this would be a no-brainer for me.

Justin216
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 07:15 PM

If you are debating between a PB and iBook, please go with the Powerbook. Not only for the performance differences, but Powerbooks tend to keep value moreso than the iBooks, so later down the road your machine will be worth more than the iBook you are considering.

kdixey
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Justin216:
...but Powerbooks tend to keep value moreso than the iBooks, so later down the road your machine will be worth more than the iBook you are considering.
Is that really true? I have an old 466 clamshell ibook and I have to say they are going for almost the same price used as rev A tibooks which cost a lot more to begin with.
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 12:59 AM

Look VERY carefully in person at the screens on the 15" Powerbooks and 14" powerbooks before you buy...look at angle of view especially.

I understand the 15" Powerbook has a much nicer screen than goes in the 12" powerbook.

(but not sure about the 14" ibook).

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by kdixey:
Is that really true? I have an old 466 clamshell ibook and I have to say they are going for almost the same price used as rev A tibooks which cost a lot more to begin with.
That's because the Clamshell became more popular after it's run was over. Much like the Cube. Something was seen in each machine that 'made them special'. There is nothing special about the recent iBooks, especially not the newer ones with that cheap white plastic.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
There is nothing special about the recent iBooks, especially not the newer ones with that cheap white plastic.
While I admit there's little about their looks that is special, they're no denying that they are definitely fantastic, IMO, in terms of power/value.

Forum Links
Forum Rules