Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Disapointed in Mx900

Disapointed in Mx900
Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 07:20 AM

I picked up the mx900 and well I was disappointed. It worked - but barely. I could not reprogram the buttons, it tracked very slow and was a imprecise. I've used a wireless mouseman and that has been a lot better.

Has anyone gotten better usage out of it and its my unit. Before I bought it I asked if this would work on OSX and they (compusa) said yes.

Mike

jedimstr
May 9, 2004, 09:31 AM

ack.. duplicate

jedimstr
May 9, 2004, 09:31 AM

I use the MX900 with two addon system Preferences:
  • MouseZoom - adjusts your mouse tracking
  • GamePad Companion - lets you adjust the mouse buttons to whatever you like

I usually use GamPad Companion to assign the left thumb buttons to delete and shift-delete (single press) so that it'll work as forward and back buttons in Safari... the scroll buttons i leave alone since they already work... then I assign the button with the window label for Expose in the Expose Sys Preference.

Others have suggested USBOverdrive, but that doesn't assign buttons for the MX900.

You can find MouseZoom and GamePad Companion on MacUpdate or VersionTracker.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 06:24 PM

I returned the mx900 and got a 700. Thirty dollars cheaper and it works out of the box as it should, no muss no fuss.

I disapointed in logitech though not for adding support for the 900

Mike

jedimstr
May 9, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
I returned the mx900 and got a 700. Thirty dollars cheaper and it works out of the box as it should, no muss no fuss.

I disapointed in logitech though not for adding support for the 900

Mike
It may not be "supported" but with two downloadable sys preferences I mentioned above, it works like a charm... using the built-in blue tooth and no need to have some fat wireless dock everywhere I go.... but then again, I'm using it with a PowerBook. I only use the big dock when I need to recharge... and bring the mx900 everywhere I go.

I also have the mx700 hooked up to one of my PC's.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 9, 2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by jedimstr:
It may not be "supported" but with two downloadable sys preferences I mentioned above, it works like a charm... using the built-in blue tooth and no need to have some fat wireless dock everywhere I go.... but then again, I'm using it with a PowerBook. I only use the big dock when I need to recharge... and bring the mx900 everywhere I go.

I also have the mx700 hooked up to one of my PC's.
i also use the mx900 very often with my powerbook. i dunno why 2 extra programs is the world to some people, although i do like USB overdrive much more than game companion because of its customizable apps.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Dimitri
May 10, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
i also use the mx900 very often with my powerbook. i dunno why 2 extra programs is the world to some people, although i do like USB overdrive much more than game companion because of its customizable apps.
Not the world to me, but I personally tried both and the MX700 tracked better than the BT version, of course that may not be the mouse's fault, since I also tried the BT apple mouse which was even worse. Probably the garbage Dlink BT adapter's fault.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 01:20 PM

Well since I chimed with this post let me add my $.02.
Its not that 2 programs are the world to me. I couldn't get the mouse to work out of the box. Why should I pay more money for something that doesn't work. I saved thirty dollars and got the mouse to work.

As for the tracking, I really did not like how slow the mouse was. I turned it way up and it still tracked slow and then it was less precise then my prior mice and now as I use the MX700 this also. The mx700 works and tracks perfectly.

Mike

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 11, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Well since I chimed with this post let me add my $.02.
Its not that 2 programs are the world to me. I couldn't get the mouse to work out of the box. Why should I pay more money for something that doesn't work. I saved thirty dollars and got the mouse to work.

As for the tracking, I really did not like how slow the mouse was. I turned it way up and it still tracked slow and then it was less precise then my prior mice and now as I use the MX700 this also. The mx700 works and tracks perfectly.

Mike
well if you already have a dongle coming out, i can't seem to find a reason for someting more expensive that doesnt even work. you made the right choice.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

shadowofleaves
May 12, 2004, 12:01 AM

im using the mx900 on my powerbook

anything i can do to improve the tracking, its not bad at all but ocassionally lags
i have mouse zoom, and usb overdrive and gamepad companion

thanks

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2004, 10:04 PM

i also returned the mx900 within a day, after wanting it for so long.

i got the Kensington StudioMouse wireless instead. although i won't be able to take it with me because it's not bluetooth, it tracks better, and comes with the wonderful Mouse Works software which lets me do the things i want with the mouse. it has many of the same features as USB Overdrive, which did not work with the mx900:

-chording : left and right buttons together opens a web page that i use constantly
-double-click : assigned to middle button

i will just take a corded mouse with me when i travel, which wound up is still smaller than the mx900, which is a honker.

i couldn't get GamePad to work with the mx900, and that would have been another $20, bringing the total for that mouse to $100! too much for a mouse that doesn't do what i want. the StudioMouse wireless was $55. i can afford to buy another bluetooth mouse for the road.

oh, and the best news for those who like this mouse: bluetooth is coming to more Kensington mice soon!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 02:29 AM

any recommendation for a small travel bluetooth mouse to go with my pbook 12?

Forum Links
Forum Rules