Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Diskwarrior 3.03

Diskwarrior 3.03
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 11:50 PM

How is it and how is it with Panther? Has anyone tried the free update that you use to create a new CD? Does that work fine or is it better to just pay the $20 for a new CD?

Thanks.
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 18, 2005, 12:28 AM

It works just fine with Panther.

The updater works fine, but remember that it only updates the DiskWarrior application; it does NOT update the Mac OS version on the disc, so it will not create a disc that can boot newer machines. For that, you must wait for Alsoft to make a new disc version and purchase it for $20.

tooki

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 12:29 AM

Jeez, you really are the over-cautious type, aren't you?!

The CD updater works fine, as long as your Mac is able to boot from the old one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 12:45 AM

Part of it's caution, part of it is only having limited knowledge and not fully understanding things. The only way to learn is to ask questions!

I read through Alsoft's website and was a bit confused. I've never downloaded something, combined it with a CD that I have, and then made a new CD.

I have DW 3.0 that will boot my Mac in jaguar. I know that 3.0 doesn't work for Panther and they instructed me to get 3.03. Alsoft says this:

" ...your current DiskWarrior 3 CD will start up your Mac, and you have access to a CD burner, download and use the free DiskWarrior 3.0.3 CD Update. In order to use the DiskWarrior 3.0.3 CD Update, you will need your original DiskWarrior 3.0 or 3.0.1 CD, a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X 10.2.1 or later equipped with a CD burner, a blank CD-R disc, 650 MB of free disk space, and an administrator name and password."

This is confusing to me. Yes, my 3.0 version will boot my Mac in jaguar. Does that mean that if I download the updater that I will be able to create and burn a new CD that will boot my Mac in Panther? Or does it mean that I will need to hang onto a version of Jag in order to be able to run DW to fix stuff on the Panther partition?

Thoroughness is a virtue
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 01:07 AM

confusing and lame, I agree.

They should just distribute a new ISO and be done with it.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Starry Night
" ...your current DiskWarrior 3 CD will start up your Mac, and you have access to a CD burner, download and use the free DiskWarrior 3.0.3 CD Update. In order to use the DiskWarrior 3.0.3 CD Update, you will need your original DiskWarrior 3.0 or 3.0.1 CD, a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X 10.2.1 or later equipped with a CD burner, a blank CD-R disc, 650 MB of free disk space, and an administrator name and password."

This is confusing to me. Yes, my 3.0 version will boot my Mac in jaguar. Does that mean that if I download the updater that I will be able to create and burn a new CD that will boot my Mac in Panther? Or does it mean that I will need to hang onto a version of Jag in order to be able to run DW to fix stuff on the Panther partition?
Uh, what's confusing about that? The new CD will be pretty much exactly the same as the old one, but with a newer copy of DiskWarrior on it. The OS is the same - hence, your Mac has to be able to boot from the old DiskWarrior CD, or it won't be able to boot from the new one.

You obviously don't need a copy of Jaguar. It says you need Mac OS X 10.2.1 ***or later***. This is probably because DiskWarrior itself requires Mac OS X 10.2.1 or later. In Panther or Tiger, it'll work fine, as long as your machine can boot from the existing DW CD that you have. This is because it takes the existing OS from your original DW CD, which is kind of why you have to insert the original CD to make the new one.

Originally Posted by Kristoff
confusing and lame, I agree.

They should just distribute a new ISO and be done with it.
Uh huh. Because these guys have just unlimited bandwidth and their servers certainly wouldn't be hammered by countless users downloading a 650 MB image all at once.

Seriously, all you have to do is:

1. Download the update

2. Run the update

3. Insert your original DiskWarrior CD

4. Insert a blank CD-R when prompted

What could be easier than that?
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 18, 2005 at 02:01 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS

What could be easier than that?
Word, all you have to do is left click a few times and type a thing or two.

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 04:48 AM

I'm sure it's all very clear to **people who know what they're talking about**, but to people like me it's still not entirely clear

Am I correct in saying the following: If I download the update, follow the directions and create the new DW cd, I will have a bootable copy of DW that will work with Panther or Tiger? That my newly created CD will be just as functional as if I spent $80 on a brand new copy of the latest DW?

Btw, teaching a subject about which one knows a great deal to someone who knows not so much is not always easy. Explaining something in a way that the teacher can understand is very different than learning to convey the teaching in a way that the student can understand. Bridging the gap between "extensive knowledge" and "limited knowledge" requires more than just stating the extensive knowledge. It requires being able to find language that connects the two, and in doing so, raises the knowledge level of the student.

Or something like that, grasshopper
( Last edited by Starry Night; May 18, 2005 at 04:55 AM. )
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 04:53 AM

Better to check the site.

But in short: Depending on the version of DW you have and which Mac, you may be able to download the update and burn a new DW disc. Otherwise you have to order a new disc and pay the shipping for it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Starry Night
I'm sure it's all very clear to **people who know what they're talking about**, but to people like me it's still not entirely clear

Am I correct in saying the following: If I download the update, follow the directions and create the new DW cd, I will have a bootable copy of DW that will work with Panther or Tiger? That my newly created CD will be just as functional as if I spent $80 on a brand new copy of the latest DW?

Btw, teaching a subject about which one knows a great deal to someone who knows not so much is not always easy. Explaining something in a way that the teacher can understand is very different than learning to convey the teaching in a way that the student can understand. Bridging the gap between "extensive knowledge" and "limited knowledge" requires more than just stating the extensive knowledge. It requires being able to find language that connects the two, and in doing so, raises the knowledge level of the student.

Or something like that, grasshopper
Okay...

1. The update will get you a bootable DiskWarrior 3.0.3 CD.

2. DiskWarrior 3.0.3 is obviously compatible with disks running Panther and/or Tiger, since that's the whole point of the 3.0.3 update.

3. As I said, the CD you end up with is basically identical to your old DiskWarrior CD, but with a later version of DiskWarrior on it (3.0.3). Therefore, if your Mac was able to boot from the old DiskWarrior CD, it'll boot from the new one.

4. Presumably, your Mac is able to boot from your old DiskWarrior CD, since you've been using it. Therefore, the new CD should Just Work.

5. Even if you get a brand-new Mac that can't boot into Jaguar (the operating system on your original DiskWarrior CD), you could buy a new CD for $12.95, not $80.

6. No worries.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 02:41 PM

Wouldn't you still need your original CD if, say, v 3.0.4 were to come out and you had to download that updater? According to the language used in the updater it asks for the "original" CD.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Wouldn't you still need your original CD if, say, v 3.0.4 were to come out and you had to download that updater? According to the language used in the updater it asks for the "original" CD.
Yes, you do still need the retail disk. I tried one of my DW updated CD's burned with the 3.02 updater, and the 3,03 updater wouldn't recognize it.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Uh huh. Because these guys have just unlimited bandwidth and their servers certainly wouldn't be hammered by countless users downloading a 650 MB image all at once.
I'm sure Apple probably wouldn't be happy with them posting an (albeit cut-down bare-bones) copy of OS X as an ISO for anyone to download. It took a lot of negotiations for Alsoft to even be allowed to ship a bootable CD, AFAIK.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
I'm sure Apple probably wouldn't be happy with them posting an (albeit cut-down bare-bones) copy of OS X as an ISO for anyone to download. It took a lot of negotiations for Alsoft to even be allowed to ship a bootable CD, AFAIK.
Yeah, I'm also sure that Alsoft wouldn't be happy with themselves posting a copy of DiskWarrior as an ISO for anyone to download. Presumably, you'd have to show some kind of proof of your existing license to get to the download page. It'd still be a massive waste of bandwidth, though.

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 10:33 PM

Thanks Everyone, I think I get it now!
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules