Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Please Help: Trouble Installing 2nd HDD on G4 PM

Please Help: Trouble Installing 2nd HDD on G4 PM
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 10:28 PM

Aloha,

I have a 1.25ghz G4 MDD PowerMac. I'm trying to add a second internal (200GB Seagate Barracuda Ultra Ata 100) hard drive by following the instructions that came with my Mac. Try as I might, removing the drive carrier is proving to be very difficult.

The manual says to "pull the plastic tab on the drive carrier away from the computer's chasis and lift the drive carrier slightly up to access the cables".

I've pulled as hard as I can on the tab and it only moves slightly and doesn't free the drive carrier.

The manual doesn't state it, but it appears by the drawings that the screw on the top of the carrier must be removed. I've tried and tried to loosen the screw (turning counter clockwise/ to the left), but it won't budge. Am I correct that that screw must be removed? Or should I be able to remove the carrier just by pulling the plastic tab out?

Any suggestions as to how I can successfully remove the drive carrier?

Thanks!
( Last edited by Starry Night; May 25, 2005 at 12:38 AM. )
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2005, 10:39 PM

There's a pdf a little ways down this page with pictures:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26259

You need to pull the ATA and power cables out of the drive first to get to the screw. Then, when the screw is out, the drive tray will slide back, then out.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

nickthegreek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2005, 10:40 PM

Yes you must unscrew the screw in the tob tab. Make sure you use a good screwdriver (I think a No. 2 phillips will do) so that you don't strip it The tip should fit snugly with no wiggle and should enter all the way. Preferably a scredriver with a large handle at least to loosen it. then it only takes a slight tug on the plastic tab and you must raise the carrier up as there are 3 pins which fit into slots on the wall of the unit. Good luck.

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by nickthegreek
Yes you must unscrew the screw in the tob tab. Make sure you use a good screwdriver (I think a No. 2 phillips will do) so that you don't strip it The tip should fit snugly with no wiggle and should enter all the way. Preferably a scredriver with a large handle at least to loosen it. then it only takes a slight tug on the plastic tab and you must raise the carrier up as there are 3 pins which fit into slots on the wall of the unit. Good luck.
Thanks for the replies. I've tried with a #1 phillips and that hasn't worked. I'm going to buy a #2 and see how that goes.

Chris V, I think you're talking about a different model, mine is the 2003. I can see the screw without removing the cables, it's on the very top of the carrier. Once removed, assuming I ever get it out, the carrier then slides up and forward to come out instead of sliding back. The drive carrier is attached to the back wall of the computer.
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2005, 06:29 AM

I was able to get it done, thanks for the help.

One thing, this second internal HD has added a new low level hum that wasn't there before. It's nothing loud, just slightly different. I was wondering, is there some way to force an internal HD (not the start up HD, the other one) to go to sleep? I tried unmounting it, but that didn't seem to change things.

I'll probably get used to the new low level hum, but it would be great if I could somehow turn the HD off when I'm not using it.

Thanks.
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 07:03 PM

Someone at the Apple.com boards had knew about the hum I was hearing. They suggested to pull out the carrier, loosen the screws, and then retighten them. The hum is much better now....
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules