Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Could someone help with backup strategy advice?

Could someone help with backup strategy advice?
JCT
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 08:48 AM

I have been trying to get input on this question for awhile, but it seems that the issue must be radioactive, since I haven't been able to get advice (even from the Dantz forum).

Here goes:

I'm a relatively new switcher (I actually got pushed over to the Mac side by you guys ) and I decided to finally get *serious* about backing up my new dual G5.

I have purchased Retrospect and I'm working through the manual, but i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to design my backup strategy?

Hardware: Three 400GB Seagate drives, two installed in an external SATA box and the third in a "sled" for rotating off-site. Another external FW drive that I have partitioned to receive my system clones via SuperDuper. My /USERS drive is separate.

SuperDuper is outstanding, but I would like to do scheduled backups via Retrospect and it is not the most straightforward software..

Configuration:

/USERS drive = 250 GB Hitachi (I have my documents and work data here, very crucial)

Drive A = Pure DATA (100 GB digital photos) ..this drive is always installed.

Drive B = Backup

Drive C = Backup

Drives B and C can rotate and are reserved for Backup purposes. They are either/or, when one is in the enclosure the other is off-site.

My goal is to safeguard my data (I do not backup my system or system files using the 3 drives, I use the clones on a separate FW drive ...that stuff is replaceable, my Data is *not*).

I am a bit confused with regards to how I might implement a weekly switch approach. Should I "duplicate" once a week and then swap? This would leave my data exposed during the week. Should I do nightly incrementals? My goal is to have the files backed up from both the Hitachi (Data) and Drive A (Photos) to B and C for safekeeping. One concern I have about the starightforward Backup approach is the dependence on Retrospect's catalog system, I would be devastated if I could not retrieve these files (hence the investment in this setup), but just using Duplicate seems kludgy.

And yes, I am slowly generating a DVD-R backup for one more level of redundancy (for the photos) but that is a work in progress.

I'd greatly appreciate some guidance with this important task.

Thanks in advance,

Jil
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 10:09 AM

VERY interesting topic. I'm interested in the same thing. I do not use Retrospect. I do use BounceBack and it does a pretty good job of backing up my entire internal to an external. Then I use Chronosync to make sure my main documents (it's part of the system "Documents" folder, but holds much important to my work life) folder is the same on my desktop and laptop.

But I don't have a good strategy for off-site, as the original poster is trying to do, and I need one. Plus, my laptop and desktop probably need more coordination.

I'll be interested in the answers.

JCT  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2005, 12:34 PM

I wasn't kidding, this question *is* radioactive. No one seems to have an opinion!

LOL

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 05:39 AM

I have 3 HD's (one FW ext) for my Power Mac. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone a backup copy of my OS to one partition, both internal and external. On other partitions, both internal and external, I have folders for daily, weekly, bi-weekly and monthly backups of my Home folder. I use ChronoSync to keep all the HD's synced.

ChronoSync (check out Macupdate or Version Tracker) is really, really easy to use. I launch the backups manually from containers I've created, but it's very easy to setup automatic scheduled backups. ChronoSync really is great, very accurate, and inexpensive.

There are lots of different ways to organize your backups, that's just how I do it.

Hope that helps......
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by JCT
SuperDuper is outstanding, but I would like to do scheduled backups via Retrospect and it is not the most straightforward software..
Jil
The upcoming version of SuperDuper! (2.0) is going to have the option to do scheduled backups, and even better, is going to be free for registered users of previous versions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules