Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > APC's Power Chute Software for Battery Backup System

APC's Power Chute Software for Battery Backup System
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 10:22 PM

Aloha,

I recently purchased an inexpensive APC Battery Backup 500 VA (300 watts) system from Amazon. It comes with an application called "Power Chute Personal Edition v 1.3.2" that is supposed to automatically shut my G4 PM down once the backup battery juice has been used up.

The help file says that Power Chute doesn't close any applications or save any data, it just performs an "emergency shut down" of the Mac. Is there any point in installing Power Chute? If the power goes off without Power Chute doesn't my Mac do about the same thing on its own, shut down without closing any applications or saving any data?

Any advice is appreciated!
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Benton
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2005, 02:35 AM

An alarm alerts you when UPS is engaged. Allowing YOU sufficient time to save work before quiting applications.

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2005, 04:34 AM

The read me files says the following about the Power Chute software:

"
• Shutdown : The OS shutdown performed by this application is an emergency shutdown. No applications are closed and no application data is saved. On restart some applications may report a warning. This is expected behavior."

That says that Power Chute does the shut down for you if you install it. My question is what is the difference between a Power Çhute shut down and a non Power Chute shut down if neither one saves data or closes applications?

Thanks.
Maui Moving Info and Social Commentary:
www.MauiMovingSource.org

Great Maui Boat Trips:
www.Kaulana-of-Maui.com

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 02:10 PM

The PowerChute shutdown is still equivalent to shutting down yourself (when you shut down, any running apps are closed by the OS). If the power went out and you didn't have PowerChute, it would be like yanking the plug, which is considerably worse for your Mac.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 02:10 PM

The PowerChute shutdown is still equivalent to shutting down yourself (when you shut down, any running apps are closed by the OS). If the power went out and you didn't have PowerChute, it would be like yanking the plug, which is considerably worse for your Mac.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules