Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do you motivate yourself?

How do you motivate yourself?
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 08:02 PM

I have a serious problem: I can't get myself into studying, even when I know I will fail in an upcoming test (I'm 24 and in school again, gaining my university-entrance diploma). I hate myself over it, and I see that I could solve my problem if I would study. BUT I CAN'T! Why? I really need my Abitur (as it's called in Germany), but I lack skills in maths and physics, so without learning - no Abitur (probably). However. I'm lucky enough that I don't have to do anything for my other courses, so what's the friggin' deal with me? I know it's my fault and I know that I cannot blame anyone/anything else and I know that I am the one who has do work hard on himself, but what hints can you give me that helped/help you to motivate yourself during university/school/work? I would really appreciate any help.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 08:04 PM

Do you have problems with getting yourself to sit down and study, or when you study, do you have problems concentrating?

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 08:05 PM

I give myself little rewards, like after studying or doing an assignemnt I can look at pron. Or I can buy a new t-shirt online if I get a project done early. Stuff like that works for me.

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 08:12 PM

Kevin: Both, unforunately. But it's harder to sit down than to stay on it.
hickey: I think I don't have that much self discipline.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 08:29 PM

andreas it may be self discipline and it may not.

How old are you? How long has this been going on?

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 08:35 PM

I'm 24 and it was always like that, but it becomes stronger recently. Funny thing is, I never had/don't have that problem at work. Only when I have to work/learn alone…

suganutz2
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2006, 08:56 PM

I tend to have a drink, but only to calm my nerves down a bit. I know that there are better solutions out there, but when I have the time, I'll surely get to them. But procrastination in general is a fear of doing something and failing, which is why you keep putting it off, because you don't want to fail. I'm sure motivation and procrastination are somehow tied together. Good luck!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2006, 09:03 PM

If you're having problems concentrating once you've started, turn the music off. Yep, that's right, no background music at all. Stick yourself some ear plugs in to lower ambient noise too.

If you're having problems getting started, just tell yourself "five minutes", because that's about as long as "procrastinator's block" lasts. Once past that five minutes you're home.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2006, 09:04 PM

I always had that problem. I still do, in fact...hence why I'm on here arguing with you morons about Iraq rather than doing the 4 essays I have due in the next three weeks.

I found that I got motivation after figuring out exactly why I was in school. I went into engineering, hated it and dropped out to work for a while, and then came back for a science degree in biology. However, it was only in third year that I really started to do well and be able to concentrate. I started getting a lot more interested in the courses I was taking, and also decided through a bunch of factors that I wanted to try and get into law school, to study environmental law.

One thing that motivated me was telling people that was my goal. I hate failing. I'm proud. I said it, and now I've got to do it, come hell or whatever.

greg

Now Playing: Kyuss – II (Space Cadet)
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 09:12 PM

Set up carrots. Tell yourself you'll do X if you finish Y first. Like you'll go grab a snack after you finish another page in your paper.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2006, 09:38 PM

The fact that you aren't doing well tells me you aren't interested in that field of study.

There's nothing wrong with that. You're wasting your time and you know it.

Ask yourself what you *would* be interested in learning more about - and do it. Lots of folks just aren't cut out for the whole 'structured learning' environment. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, either. Learning is cheap or free. If paying to learn isn't working out, then set out on your own. You can do anything you want in life - IF you *want* to. So figure out what it is that you'd like to do, and chart a direct course toward that goal.

Skip the 'structured learning' altogether and find other ways to learn. Remember, the goal is never a diploma or a degree. The goal is to improve your worth to society and to yourself - monetary or otherwise. Sure, some jobs will require a formal education and a degree - and that's fine...if that's the job you're interested in having. Though it doesn't look that way to me.

Success comes *only* from having a sincere interest in the field of endeavour you've chosen. Mediocrity and failure can be obtained from any source - based mostly on how disinterested you are. Don't spend years of your life pursuing a goal that won't make you happy when you achieve it. Money is not a 'goal', by the way. I could tire you with my rants about money having nothing to do with happiness, but I'm pretty sure everyone has heard it already. Money is a innocent byproduct of a job well done. A job well done is a job done out of a sincere love for the task. And even if you don't get rich doing what you love, you'll still be happy. And being happy is damn near the only reason to live. Well, that and redheads wearing skirts.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2006, 09:51 PM

For me it's when I am interested in something that I feel motivated. Like others have mentioned having a reward helps. Some things are just important and must be done.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
I have a serious problem: I can't get myself into studying, even when I know I will fail in an upcoming test (I'm 24 and in school again, gaining my university-entrance diploma). I hate myself over it, and I see that I could solve my problem if I would study. BUT I CAN'T! Why? I really need my Abitur (as it's called in Germany), but I lack skills in maths and physics, so without learning - no Abitur (probably). However. I'm lucky enough that I don't have to do anything for my other courses, so what's the friggin' deal with me? I know it's my fault and I know that I cannot blame anyone/anything else and I know that I am the one who has do work hard on himself, but what hints can you give me that helped/help you to motivate yourself during university/school/work? I would really appreciate any help.
I'm not a shrink, so take everything I say here with a grain of salt. Only a doctor can accurately diagnose a mood disorder. But I have had similar difficulties. It lasted from university until recently, when I finally admitted that I needed help.

I was depressed. I was inactive, and had lost interest in everything.

You said things here I went thru. Difficultly "getting started" a task, like studying. Asking "what's wrong with me."

There's nothing wrong with you. No one expects a man with a broken leg to run a marathon. You can't get motivated if you are depressed.

You said: "I hate myself over it, and I see that I could solve my problem if I would study." I said very similar words once, but in regards to my work. You're linking your ability to study with your self-esteem. When I read that, I said "oh boy." Out loud.

You also said: "Funny thing is, I never had/don't have that problem at work. Only when I have to work/learn alone." Boy, I know exactly what you mean. I used to be a real whiz at work, but had problems with my own goals. I also found that "physical labour" was easy, but mental labour became harder and harder. But soon, my physical motivation began to drop too.

Once my difficulties in "getting started" and "stay motivated" moved from personal goals into the workplace, I was screwed. My problem was now everybody's problem.

Depression is all-comsuming. Once it finishes destroying your personal goals, it will move on to your other goals.

A few people here have stated you need to "find things you are interested in." But when depression starts, it initally affects the things you don't find interesting. But it will move into the realm of your interests. At one point, I was buying books and movies and CDs but not using them. I couldn't even "get started" on my beloved hobbies. I felt dead inside.

Go to: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/healthinform...essionmenu.cfm. Lots of information about depression.

I am not saying you are depressed. But when you start saying things like "I hate myself," that's a warning sign. Talk to your family doctor or the school counselor. They know what to do next.

Talk to a doctor. Talk to family. Maybe you aren't depressed. Some people just need a constant push to get motivated. A study group could help. A course in personal organization could help. Maybe just stay off the web for a while.

Other warning signs:

1. Replacing real activities with passive activities. Lots of depressed people do nothing but watch tv and surf the web. They've lost interest in playing sports or playing guitar or whatever.
2. Self-isolation. If you seem to prefer spending most of your time alone but find yourself telling little white lies to others about it, that's a warning sign.
3. Increased substance abuse. If you find yourself drinking more, especially alone, that's a big warning sign.
4. Irregularities in eating, sleeping, self-maintanance. Look around you. Is your laundry done? Are the dishes done? Paid your phone bill? Took a shower?

Ok. Enough from me. I hope things improve for you.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2006, 12:07 AM

I definitely suffer from the same ailment from time to time. Fortunately, deadline USUALLY kick me into gear. I have done more work at the last min than I care to admit. Was true in school and it's true in my work. Home life too. I have to take out the trash and I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to do it- I'll be rushing around like mad when I could have easily done it this evening.

So I don't think I can offer anything but camaraderie.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2006, 12:31 AM

I thought I'd better correct something I said.

"Depression is all-comsuming. Once it finishes destroying your personal goals, it will move on to your other goals."

Maybe. Sometimes depression just goes away. But don't wait for it to. Better to seek advice now.

Good luck.

Dr.Michael
Mar 20, 2006, 07:10 AM

I think it is crucial to find the right books.

Physics and math books can be unbelievably boring (I know well - I am a physicist). When I was out of school/university I also studied a little more background stuff and read the introducing chapters instead of only the formal things. This is more about the people who did the research instead of formulas without any relation to real life. Once you understand the historical background and why it was useful to understand certain things it is much more fun to learn the rest.

Another important thing is to understand why things are useful for YOU. It is boring to learn atomic models, wavefunctions and so on. But as soon as you understand that you can use this stuff to understand why the sky is blue, how polar lights work, why salt burnt in a candle results in orange light etc. it becomes more interesting. Or why it is so complicated to build a fusion reactor.

Recently I worked in the kitchen of my girlfriend (completely misaligned walls) and had to plan how to put in the furniture. It helped a lot to be able to draw and calculate angles, even pythagoras was necessary. You can of course go the dumb way: just buy something take a saw and sweat until you got it right. But it is a nice excercise to go smart ways. And in this case it definitely saved money!

This means you have to spend much more time on your problems. But try to find the fun ways instead of moaning about formulas.

.... and switch off your internet connection. It is a too easy distraction.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 20, 2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
I was depressed. I was inactive, and had lost interest in everything.

You said things here I went thru. Difficultly "getting started" a task, like studying. Asking "what's wrong with me."

There's nothing wrong with you. No one expects a man with a broken leg to run a marathon. You can't get motivated if you are depressed.
This explains alot actually. Esp your actions in the PL. (And no that wasn't a personal attack. Things are a bit more clearer)

And he might not be depressed. Not all motivational problems stem from depression. Just like not all attention problems stem from ADD.

I wouldn't make someone paranoid about being depressed, unless you know for sure that they are.

Super Mario
Mar 20, 2006, 08:23 AM

First imagine yourself in the future with a bad job, not enough money for going out, paying rent etc

Now imagine yourself in the future with a good job, a Porsche, lots of women and a nice house.

That should be good inspiration.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:18 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 20, 2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
First imagine yourself in the future with a bad job, not enough money for going out, paying rent etc

Now imagine yourself in the future with a good job, a Porsche, lots of women and a nice house.

That should be good inspiration.
That is if you are motivated by material things. Not everyone is.

Super Mario
Mar 20, 2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
That is if you are motivated by material things. Not everyone is.
Can you name a non material thing that will get you a job, feed you, feed your family, put a roof over your head, create jobs for people, benefit the economy, all of which contributes to personal happiness and peace? Everything is material even Jesus and happiness.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 20, 2006, 09:02 AM

Can you name a non material thing that will get you a job, feed you, feed your family, put a roof over your head, create jobs for people, benefit the economy, all of which contributes to personal happiness and peace? Everything is material even Jesus and happiness.
Huh? Happiness isn't material. Either is Jesus.

There is nothing wrong with having wants and desires. I just said not everyone is motivated by those things. So such a motivation wont work on them. That is all.

They are motivated by OTHER things.

Super Mario
Mar 20, 2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Huh? Happiness isn't material. Either is Jesus.
Yes they are. All the forms of non material prosperity you can think of are transformations in your hormonal states Let's see how happy you can be when your stomach is rumbling, you got no money and no woman to love or shag Cut the bull and be practical. The guy wants motivation to pass his exams and you want him to believe in the phantom zone

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 20, 2006, 09:23 AM

Yes they are. All the forms of non material prosperity you can think of are transformations in your hormonal states
This shows your lack of understanding how the big guy works. That's ok though. I wont fault you for it
Let's see how happy you can be when your stomach is rumbling, you got no money and no woman to love or shag
I am not talking about basic necessities and love. I am talking about MATERIAL things. Do you see your mate as an material object? I surely hope not.
Cut the bull and be practical. The guy wants motivation to pass his exams and you want him to believe in the phantom zone
Uh no. You were the one that brought up Jesus not I. I have no need to in this thread.

AGAIN, I was simply stating not everyone is motivated by materialism.

Why you have a problem with this is beyond me. You seem to have taken offense to it.

*shrug*

Super Mario
Mar 20, 2006, 09:29 AM

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2006, 06:01 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I really have to imagine myself in the near future - I NEED MY ABITUR! And I won't get it if I don't study, so I have to pull myself together and get it going. I will try the Rewards-Method™, sports, food, friends and pron seem to be good for me…

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 09:54 PM

If you need a physics book that's interesting to read, then try this; "Physics for Poets" by Robert March
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080...Fencoding=UTF8
( Last edited by gbhgbh; Mar 20, 2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Link did not show up as a link)

Sealobo
Mar 20, 2006, 11:03 PM

Motivation is a demand-pull psycological sensation. If you know exactly what you want and want it bad enough, you will be motivated to get things done.

If you don't have something that you really want or to accomplish, so be it and take your time. Or if you know something you actually want but failed to get your lazy ass to get something done then you deserve to be in despair.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Mar 20, 2006, 11:23 PM

I'm in the same boat sometimes too. I think I may need a change of scenery.

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 04:09 AM

You need to man up.

Pull yourself together, quit whining, get to work!

Dr.Michael
Mar 21, 2006, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4I
will try the Rewards-Method™, sports, food, friends and pron seem to be good for me…
I don't think this is smart.
Rewards means you will sit and suffer until you have finished some goal. In the end the goals will become smaller and smaller and you will develop strategies to justify the reward with less work. And what if you don't achieve your results because you did not plan well - no rewards - never? This is too much. Everybody needs rewards even and especially after a bad day. So the strategy reward for good work means no reward for bad work and this punishes you twice.

You should try to find out whats interesting for you (and maybe read some popular books or magazines - they are great if you want to understand big pictures).

Whatever method you choose, combine it with some general strategies of project management. Make a plan for the term, for the month, for the week and for every day. Define your milestones for every interval, write them down and TRACK your results. Initially the plans will not be realistic. So a lot of rearrangement will be necessary. Thats not a problem as long as you achieve the final goal.

And of course - but thats a common knowledge - don't work alone. Find someone in your class who is a slight bit smarter than you and work together. This will give you the necessary kick in the ass more than anything else.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Mar 21, 2006 at 05:45 AM. )

talisker
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 06:02 AM

My self discipline is pretty terrible when it comes to studying, working on my own etc, but what I found works best is going somewhere specific to study / work, whether it be a library or whatever. It simply removes the distractions and makes it a much bigger step to stop studying / working and do something else. Also, if you have to use a computer, use one without an internet connection. If it's a laptop, disconnect it at take it somewhere else. If it has a wireless card, take it out.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2006, 06:18 AM

You need an authoritive figure to be by your side.

Here's what you can try:

1) Go to library (no laptop, no computer lab, no ipod, pay your 5 hrs of parking)
2) Remind yourself you will kick urself if ur grades are bad
3) If studying at home, have someone lock you out of the internet (worked wonders for me)
4) Join the military
5) Don't study in bed
6) Sell your online game account (this was the kicker for me, went from Cs to As)

But if you're like some people, you might need to learn a lesson, such as:

1) You are on academic probation (chance of being booted)
2) Your gf dumps you
3) All your friends make $$ while you're still in school struggling (making u feel like ****)
4) Your friends' new cars and toys (making you feel ike **** again)

Dr.Michael
Mar 21, 2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by talisker
My self discipline is pretty terrible when it comes to studying, working on my own etc, but what I found works best is going somewhere specific to study / work, whether it be a library or whatever.
Also, if you have to use a computer, use one without an internet connection. If it's a laptop, disconnect it at take it somewhere else. If it has a wireless card, take it out.
Exactly my experience

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 07:55 AM

Working in a library w/o internet connections works well for me (in fact i wrote together my whole thesis in an institutes library, very quiet and contemplative atmosphere).

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 08:06 AM

Tried school many times. Had same problem. Finally realized that I had no interest in what I was doing. I thought I did, but the reality was that I didn't.

Seb G
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2006, 08:08 AM

For maths and physics, don't learn by reading books, do exercises, exercises and more exercises (there should be plenty in your books, otherwise ask the teacher). Make arrangements to talk over the solutions with eihter a fellow student or the teacher, this gives you a deadline and forces you to really do it (it would be too embarrassing to admit that you haven't done it).

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 21, 2006, 08:32 AM

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2006, 08:50 AM

This seems to be a hot topic, what with Dr. Michael's thread.

I wish I knew the answer.

When I was at Uni I didn't struggle with motivation as much (I do now!) I was quite motivated by grades (rewards) and wanted to do well. Looking back the factors that helped me were:

- Rewards

You need a reward for a task. It doesn't have to be materialistic, but being able to see how well you've done and have others see how well you've done really helps. Someone, be it the state, parents or yourself is paying for you to go through Uni, you should want to show them how well you are doing.

- Teamwork

A lot of our work was group based. We were fortunate that we were a close knit group that got on well. We all motivated each other and always pulled each other up instead of dragging each other down. I.e. We would stick around until we had all finished our tasks and then go to the pub together, rather than those who finished first disappearing off making it more and more tempting for those left behing to just throw in the towel and go to the pub as well.

You don't necessarily need a team based project for this. Try and find a student on your course in the same boat as you and agree that you'll both go and study until X time and then go for a drink afterwards, etc. You are far less likely to slack off if someone is depending on you, sat next to you, waiting for you to go to the pub, etc.

In fact, Teamwork is a big one. Why not meet with your course mates and decide to help each other? With a boring subject you could agree to split it up, learn it and then present it back to each other. Lessens the load a bit, makes it more fun and you get use to presenting in front of each other. There's probably lots of ways you can help each other through.

- Visible Deadline

Uni was nicely split into smallish chucks with achievable deadlines, etc. When each was done you knew you had marks in the bank, etc. The mix of projects, etc probably helped keep it interesting as well. But the over-riding thing for me was thinking, there's only X more years left and then it's done and dusted forever. For me, my degree was wildly out of balance with the work/party mix (Too much work) and having an end in sight was a big motivator, as I saw completing my degree as the key to catching up all all the partying I felt I had missed.

- Interest

I like learning, so that helps and is a big motivator for me. Obviously with the stuff I wasn't as interested in the above three factors helped. I tend to find that if I have no idea how to solve a problem, etc I'm far more likely to actually solve it, because it requires me learning how to do it. Once I know how (the process, techniques, etc) to solve something I see little point in actually doing it. The fun has gone for me by then.

Now I've finished Uni and been working for a few years I'm really struggling:

- There are no real rewards.
---Money isn't a great motivator for me. If I do a bad job or a good job I'll earn the same and my wife will still spend more than I make anyway so there's no materialistic spending for me.
---There is no visible way for me to move up the career chain. So I am not motivated by that. It is not obvious what I can do to move forward, so why bother?
- There seems to be no real teamwork, so no one to pull me up when I'm down.
- There is utterly no end in sight. If I work hard for a year, I still have to work hard for 40 more years, so why not slack off? The impact of my work is hard to visualise, people always say everything is urgent, but it rarely is and so urgency stops being a great motivator when you've made sacrifices only for your work not to be used or to just sit in someone's in tray.
- There is very little learning. So far I can't get past a two year limit in jobs. My experience has been that after 2 years in a role I'm done. There's nothing else I want to learn or to learn at all in some cases. And it pretty much seems the management just want you to carry on repeating for 40 more years. So I become bored because I already know how I'm going to solve every task I'm given, so what's the point in actually doing it.

I'm totally stuck as to what to do. Having read How to Do What You Love I'm struck that I don't actually love what I've spent my life (so far) working towards and I need a change of career. Easier said than done though as it seems most employer's don't like the idea of employees not knowing how to do their jobs which is the thing that would make me interested. For you it is not too late and it may really be worth thinking about whether this is what you want to do. You cannot spend life doing something you don't enjoy.

Some practical tips that may help:

As mentioned by others, internet browsing is the champion tool of procrastinators. Some tips on avoidance here:
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/f...tes-146448.php
This looks useful for those on Windows, but doesn't work for me (shame):
http://www.webjillion.com/archives/2...tation-blocker

This technique (10+2)*5 is meant to be good (but doesn't work for me). Posted in Dr. Michaels thread as well:
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/g...ion-130447.php

[Edited a few times]
( Last edited by ism; Mar 21, 2006 at 09:38 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules