Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1st Mac

1st Mac
TheMule
Jun 30, 2006, 12:34 AM

I am looking at buying my first Mac (in August) and I’m leaning towards the Macbook. The programs I will use on it iMove /FCE, a long with the typical apps.

But I am having a little trouble deciding which white model to get.

Is the SuperDrive and faster CPU worth $200 or should I just use the money on Ram and a better HDD?

Also, I will also be buying a Mac Pro next year when I go to Film School. The Macbook will just be used to help me learn on and because I can’t wait a year to get a Mac.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 01:06 AM

Sounds good! The MacBook should be fine for FCE and iMovie, and I'm sure it'll tie you over until you get your Mac pro monster
Linkinus is king.

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 30, 2006, 11:21 AM

I paid the extra $200 because I really wanted the DVD burner. As far as the extra couple of mhz goes, I dont think it really makes much of a difference. If you don't care about the dvd burner it is probably a better investment to put that money into RAM.

You should be very happy with a new MacBook, it is the best computer I have ever owned so far.
27" iMac C2D

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2006, 12:24 PM

I really think the best value MacBook is the cheapest one. However as a freelance editor I get asked to burn DVDs all the time and so just for that convenience I'm getting the mid-range model.

The slightly faster processor is welcome of course, but really I don't think it's going to make all that much difference in the long run. Go for the 1.83 GHz unless you really need the DVD burner.

And definitely get more RAM.

TheMule  (op)
Jul 2, 2006, 09:03 PM

Thank, I think I will get the 1.83 GHz version

Mac Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2006, 10:01 PM

If you really don't use the DVD burner, then i suggest you go with the basic model.

The extra $200 can be spent on more ram, and a bigger hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules