Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Finding good and cheap RAM in Canada.

Finding good and cheap RAM in Canada.
Proteus4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 11:18 AM

I always see links to great places to buy RAM in the States but I wonder where I should go to get a good deal on 2gb's of RAM in Canada.

I am in Toronto BTW.

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 12:23 PM

I would like to ask the same question.

I'm in Montreal and would like to get some RAM for my future macbook.

The best option right now is

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53DR2SPAIR2G/

and it's in the USA.
------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 8, 2006, 03:26 PM

canadacomputers.com

Stores in Toronto.

"Hello, what have we here?

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 11:58 PM

So I finally bought RAM from OWC a month a go. Sorry for not giving feedback earlier, I wanted to have the exact pricing from my credit card receipt. I wanted to have the full story for my Canadian friends.

So I purchased 2x 1Gb that are exactly like this: 2.0GB Matched Pair (1024MB(1GB) x 2) PC53... (53DR2SPAIR2G) at OWC

Price: On August 16th, they were 217.99$(US). With shipping It came to 235.05$(US) My credit card company charged me 269,90$(CDN) after the exachange rate. Plus, I payed 35$(CDN) for taxes and customs. So, let's say I payed 300$(CDN) for the 2x 1Gb RAM. Not bad considering that Apple want's to charge you 563$(CDN)!!!

Shipping: I passed my order after the 5pm shipping deadline for sameday processing on the 16th of August. Anyway ,it shipped on the 17th. On august the 22th, I receive a notice from the post office asking me to come pay for custom's and taxes(GST&PST). So, it took 5 days but that includes the week-end which cannot be counted to be delivered in the Montreal suburbs. Make sure to use US postal service. Why? Because they charge a flat rate of 5$(US) for shipping across the border. If you go with a courrier like Fedex or UPS, they will charge according to the value of the package. And we are talking expensive!!!

Product: The RAM is working perfectly. Knock on wood! It comes with pictured instructions for installation.

So remember, buy cheap RAM in the US from any trusted website but make sure to use the US postal service to save on shipping!
------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

acoustix
Sep 25, 2006, 12:38 AM

dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 07:14 PM

for those looking for cheap RAM, I've had luck with RamSeeker.com.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

expergo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 07:46 PM

i can get sodimm ram for cheap in toronto. $55 for 512mb. pm me if you want.
( Last edited by expergo; Sep 27, 2006 at 10:24 PM. )

CzechMate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 09:04 AM

Hey all:

Recently I upgraded my Macbook and bought RAM from NCIX.com. They're Canadian and I got my order the next day for $9 or something like that.

This is what I got, though it looks like the price went up since I bought it!

bklam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 01:04 AM

holy crap, the price sky rocketed since the last time i checked!!!

For NCIX

trevorbsmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 03:40 PM

man, my post seems to have failed. To repeat: Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more. has the "Apple" version of Corsair's 2GB kit for MacBooks (and others) at roughly the same price, after shipping and tax, as NCIX charges for the non-Apple variant. ~$70 as of today.

This version of the Corsair RAM (VSA2GSDSKIT667D2) usually sells for more than the non-Apple version (VS2GSDSKIT667D2). The two products are LIKELY identical and it's just marketing (i.e. a lie) that the Apple variant is better for your Mac but since it will be ~$70 for either one, I'm ordering the "Mac" version.

shrugs*
Mar 22, 2008, 11:22 PM

I just picked up a 2nd 2GB Mushkin stick for my Macbook from Canada Computers for $39.99.

4GB for $80.. hard to complain.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2008, 11:29 PM

Holy fraking zombie thread

-t

Cold Warrior
Mar 23, 2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Holy fraking zombie thread

-t