Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > FrontRow for your MacPro!

FrontRow for your MacPro!
wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2006, 09:35 PM

Hi everyone, head over there: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....hreadID=713029
just want to share the excitement!

credit to JoshD (Edward)!!
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 09:40 PM

hey wei thanks for the link.

let me ask you how is the performance on that macpro 2.66 you have?
i plan on buying a 23" cinema & refurbished macpro tomorrow
just want to know what your view is on it performance wise with photography apps like aperture
photoshop & lightroom

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2006, 09:54 PM

Hi there, I only have photoshop amongst 3 apps you mentioned. Yet to try out the other two.
Well, my jump are from a Dual 2.0GHz PM G5. Based on user experience (not speed test), I felt general improvement on CS, Macromedia suite and video encoding. Not to forget that I started with only 1GB of RAM. Now with extra 1GB, things move even more snappier. If you're heavy user on Aperture, MacPro is the way to go, get extra RAM (no limitation on 3GB like iMac), extra HDD (since RAW files are huge) & FW800 case for portable library

Only complaint is Adobe CS not UB, and illustrator cs2 seems to have bug when you use pathfinder.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 11:00 AM

Cool! Have you tried this yet, wei?
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 01:58 PM

Hasn't this trick been working on the Hackintoshes for almost a year now? I don't see why Apple hasn't unlocked it yet. Most expensive hardware and they wont even allow the user a nifty feature, seems pretty stupid imo.

derekn
Senior User
Nov 7, 2006, 06:09 PM

Well this "hack" equaled a whole of nothing... with both versions too.

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by chefpastry View Post
Cool! Have you tried this yet, wei?
yes it's working for me. well i remember there's thread asking about frontrow on macpro. if any of you already knew it (long ago?), why i don't see anyone pointed that out?

derekn
Senior User
Nov 8, 2006, 05:47 AM

After a couple of new posts on the Apple discussions thread, there were some trends I noticed and tried. And now FrontRow does work on my MacPro.

The first caveat is that you can't have USB Overdrive installed. I'm debating right now if this is acceptable for my everyday use or not.

Second, a mightymouse has to be connected at all times if you want to use FrontRow. I just tried an experiment and unplugged it. Hit Command-Escape, no FrontRow start up, keyboard and Sound settings for FrontRow are gone. I plugged it back in and FrontRow runs again and the options are back as well.

While I do miss FrontRow (Mediacentral, iTheater and Centerstage are nice alternatives but are nowhere near the maturity of FrontRow just yet) I'm not sure if these conditions will work for me or not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules