Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro having diffuculty reading HD

Mac Pro having diffuculty reading HD
mkerr64
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 04:01 PM

Hey there

i just purchased a new 250gb WD harddrive however, when ever i restart and error allways pops up saying that it could not be read and i have to format over and over. so far it has roughly been 5 times.

and at times it randomly turns off eventhough the icon is still on the desktop....
How can i fix this Problem?

Thanks
R.I.P Steve Jobs

derekn
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 05:00 PM

Does Disk Utility say anything when you do a verify or repair disk on it? I'm thinking the drive may be defective, but it could be some issue with the MacPro too.

As for the turning off while the icon is still on the desktop, do you have the checkbox in Energy Saver that says "Put Hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"? When the disk isn't in use, the system will put it to sleep, so if you'd like them on continously, just uncheck that.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 05:13 PM

when the drive is in and you go to disk utilites it displays the info however, there is no icon on the desktop- thats when i have to erase it.
and still that error pops up when restarting

is there a way to check whether the Mac Pro or the drive has the problem?

and yes the harddrive box was checked that would explain it
R.I.P Steve Jobs

derekn
Senior User
Nov 14, 2006, 04:19 PM

Hmm... if you have a spare SATA (or you can move the boot drive) drive, try putting that into the bay the WD is in and see if the problem repeats with that drive. If it does, then there is some issue with the ports and/or SATA controller. If it doesn't, then it's the drive.

From what you've typed so far though, it really sounds like some sort of a drive problem.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Nov 15, 2006, 12:39 AM

ok thanks ill try that hopefully it will work
R.I.P Steve Jobs

blustorm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2006, 09:24 PM

I have a similar problem. Tiger osx ran great except I began just having cd-rw burn out. I put another in the old g4 tower and kept going. I noticed file attempts by apple.com trying to download a file zzz with various numbers on it. I had the root password taken out of my large apple one gig mirror door which I have taken off line because it has a super drive I do not want to lose. I began programming two or three hard drives at a time and using them in the old 450 so I would not lose data on a crash as it did that one in awhile. The first time a cd burner went out it simply would not recognize the hard drive, but I could always get the entire install pic, you know readme file xtools and whatever. Lately I do not get this, only it goes straight to the language portion and starts installing and all the drives have a two gig addition that will not erase.

Now the clincher is that it no longer keeps the install. It will program, restart and then back to square one install. This is using several hard drives also. Although I did try some linux on some of them and used them on the dell. As of now the install disk when run I get unable to verify or repair as no packets are read on it!!!!! This is the same with my other install disk, as I have two of them, one for each computer.

Now I did get carried away when my root was changed and with an attempt to load a file not requested. I can live with alot but not root password change an unknown files coming my way. I logged on a drive as sayanara apple. That is shortly before things went south. Now this could be a hacker or maybe the another dvd reader went bad. I suppose there may be some hardware quirk causing it not to read the dvd, I don't know. But if I am having a hacker make my install disks disappear this is getting expensive. . Anyone ever encountered anything similar?

Forum Links
Forum Rules