Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook g3 800 issues

ibook g3 800 issues
unisphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 04:33 PM

i bought (cheaply) a used ibook 800 with the notorious gpu issue. ive managed to get it to work using the shim method (http://www.powerbook-fr.com/ibook/br...rticle797.html) butim still having ussuesaround the dc in plug.
sometimes the ibook refuses to recognize the charger, and other times the movement of the plug/dc board appears to cause the lcd/gpu issues to happen.
does this make any sense? are the gpu and the dc board somehow related?

thanks

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2006, 05:06 PM

The DC issues are most likely because of bad solder joints on the DC input board. Moving the connector is probably moving the case etc which causes the GPU issues.

unisphere  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 05:31 PM

so you think that the charger not being recognized is technically a seperate problem from the gpu? and its just the physical movement of the dc board that messes with the gpu?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by unisphere View Post
so you think that the charger not being recognized is technically a seperate problem from the gpu? and its just the physical movement of the dc board that messes with the gpu?
Yeah i'm pretty sure thats what's happening although why the GPU goes funny when you move the DC Input board is a tad odd and the only reason I can think of is that the case is flexing slightly which means the GPU chip isn't pressed as firmly.

If you have a soldering iron, get the DC input board out and heat the contacts up on it to reflow it.

unisphere  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Yeah i'm pretty sure thats what's happening although why the GPU goes funny when you move the DC Input board is a tad odd and the only reason I can think of is that the case is flexing slightly which means the GPU chip isn't pressed as firmly.

If you have a soldering iron, get the DC input board out and heat the contacts up on it to reflow it.
just a follow-up: i re-worked the shim to better apply pressure to the gpu (instead of just using a stack of half business cards, i salvaged part of an old heat sink from a tibook - it even came with thermal paste pre-applied - and added in the little rubber feet) and there doesnt seem to be any relation now to the dc-in board. i also added a little shim by the dc plug so it wouldnt move around quite as much (i dont have a working soldering iron at the moment) and that's helped the plug problem.
long story short, the two problems were actually separate issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules