Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > what's the delay like for custom mac pros?

what's the delay like for custom mac pros?
mr. burns
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 02:17 AM

hi, i just ordered a mac pro [woot] on thursday and apple said it should ship within a couple business days, even though it's custom configured with 2GB of ram, 2 super drives and an ATI x1900XT. is this accurate or should i expect to wait longer because of the holidays? my current machine is a dual 500Mhz G4 machine and i ordered it back when it first came out. it kept getting delayed and didn't show up at my door for another month and a half. just hoping the same thing doesn't happen this time around.

not all who wander are lost.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2006, 02:49 AM

I placed my order on Oct. 10th, for the config in my sig. It arrived Oct. 18th.
Linkinus is king.

derekn
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 03:27 AM

I had to wait a month for mine... I ordered when they first came out though.

I think your time from order submitting to it shipping will be 3 or 4 days at most, Apple seems to have the supply issues under control. When it gets to you is all dependent on what shipping you choose and how far you are from Fullerton, CA. There's no chance of a repeat of the G4 intro though, that was due to a rush announcement and an unexpected bug that forced Apple to drop the 500Mhz G4.

dankar
Dec 16, 2006, 10:59 AM

Here in Singapore, supplies are from a Apple factory located here, but the configuration I have placed an order for, takes 3 weeks. Ordered on the 30th November, was told it should arrive before or after Christmas. Apparently, the factory here follows the American Holiday Calender.

Specs:
3GHZ, 4GB (1x4), 750GB x 2 HD, ATI1900XT, Airport Extreme and etc.

mr. burns  (op)
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by derekn View Post
I had to wait a month for mine... I ordered when they first came out though.

I think your time from order submitting to it shipping will be 3 or 4 days at most, Apple seems to have the supply issues under control. When it gets to you is all dependent on what shipping you choose and how far you are from Fullerton, CA. There's no chance of a repeat of the G4 intro though, that was due to a rush announcement and an unexpected bug that forced Apple to drop the 500Mhz G4.
a bug huh? strange. this machine has been flawless all 6.5 years i've had it.

aladavlis
Banned
Dec 16, 2006, 02:47 PM

Hello,
I am having trouble with my Internet explorer.It is doing some very odd things.Sometimes it will completely close the page i am visiting for no reason or it will be very slow loading pages and when i say slow i mean very very very slow for eg i tried to google something and after 10 minutes of the page trying to load i gave up.I thought that it was perhaps the topic i was searching so i tried putting in random things to see if that made any difference but it didn't.Another problem i had was when i was on a forum and clicked on a link and nothing happened i tried to open a new tab and that wouldn't work either and it would let me access any options that are in my tools menu.i had to restart my computer.Just to let you know i have high speed Internet connection.Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me with this problem.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by aladavlis View Post
Hello,
I am having trouble with my Internet explorer.It is doing some very odd things.Sometimes it will completely close the page i am visiting for no reason or it will be very slow loading pages and when i say slow i mean very very very slow for eg i tried to google something and after 10 minutes of the page trying to load i gave up.I thought that it was perhaps the topic i was searching so i tried putting in random things to see if that made any difference but it didn't.Another problem i had was when i was on a forum and clicked on a link and nothing happened i tried to open a new tab and that wouldn't work either and it would let me access any options that are in my tools menu.i had to restart my computer.Just to let you know i have high speed Internet connection.Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me with this problem.

Welcome aladavlis.
First of all IE for the Mac platform has been abandoned for years. Even when it was supported by MS for the Mac platform it was a SLOW browser. I assume your coming from the Windows world so please, use Apples browser Safari which is much much faster and is specifically made for PPC chips and Intel. IE was only made for PPC so a modern Mac Pro it is emulated (slow) and is sensitive to crashing (because it is emulated)
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

derekn
Senior User
Dec 16, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
a bug huh? strange. this machine has been flawless all 6.5 years i've had it.
Well no the bug was fixed. When Apple put out the PowerMac G4, they announced it with speeds of 400, 450 and 500Mhz and said they'd be shipping within a month or so. Then Motorola found the bug in the 500Mhz chip that prevented it from running at that speed. So Apple had to rearrange the whole lineup and change it to 350, 400 and 450Mhz (at the same price points which pissed off the early buyers). I believe your G4 was the first G4 that was announced with a 500Mhz chip and actually did ship with the 500Mhz chip.

They are extremely solid machines though, the MacPro is a very worthy replacement.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2006, 10:32 PM

I ordered mine a few months ago and received it in 3 days. I was extremely pleasantly surprised, especially since this is the first Mac I have ever owned. At this point I don't think I could ever go back to a PC. Even XP on it is multiple times faster than my Dual 3.2GHz PIV PC.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

thomastwo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2006, 05:53 PM

I ordered the same system as you on the same day so hopefully the delay isn't too bad. This is my first Mac - I'm a fresh convert from the PC side - and I can't wait.

dankar
Dec 18, 2006, 10:58 PM

Got news, it is coming in by Friday. Hopefully there will be no delay...

mr. burns  (op)
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 11:01 PM

well, it came today
that was fast. i guess living in california made it extra fast.

thomastwo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 12:22 AM

well, it came today
lol mine hasn't even shipped yet! But I'm about 4500 kms northeast of you so I expected a longer wait. Congrats

derekn
Senior User
Dec 19, 2006, 01:46 AM

well, it came today
Hey congrats! Most of the custom orders were shipping out of Fullerton, but since you're in Chico, they may have shipped it out of the Elk Grove facility. That is really good shipping time with all the holiday shipping going on too.

How do you like it so far?

mr. burns  (op)
Senior User
Dec 20, 2006, 03:03 AM

it still came from fullerton, i just had overnight shipping

machine is great. beautiful is the best word that comes to mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules