Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > ibook isight

ibook isight
unisphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 02:42 PM

anyone know how feasible it would be to put a built-in isight from a macbook into an ibook g3 800?
the macbook pro display bezel with isight is available for $130...
sounds like it could be fun, but does the ibook even have the ability to take the isight directly on the board? could i sacrifice one usb port?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2006, 02:58 PM

i'm almost tempted to say yes just to see if you can do it. an interesting project, keep us posted. have no idea if it will work.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2006, 10:45 PM

How does a g3 800 handle a regular isight? Is it even worth it? not a great question for this forum, but I guess it is better to practice on a g3 ibook than a pismo.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 04:56 PM

I already answered this elsewhere, but for the benefit of the locals: The G3 iBooks have no USB 2.0 and no internal USB. The iBook G4 has both. You could wire in a lower quality USB 1.1 camera to the USB port on the logic board. If you are really crafty, you might even be able to keep the port by wiring an internal USB hub.

unisphere  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I already answered this elsewhere, but for the benefit of the locals: The G3 iBooks have no USB 2.0 and no internal USB. The iBook G4 has both. You could wire in a lower quality USB 1.1 camera to the USB port on the logic board. If you are really crafty, you might even be able to keep the port by wiring an internal USB hub.
i'll probably use one of those options, but i'm going to hold off for a little while. this ibook is new o me, and i might as well get some use out of it before i attempt any major operation.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2006, 01:40 AM

I think the g3 800 would handle it just fine. My g3 700 did.
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

unisphere  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by praterkeith View Post
I think the g3 800 would handle it just fine. My g3 700 did.
did you actually do this same type of thing? any suggestions/guide? pictures?

tintin220
Jan 6, 2007, 01:12 AM

It would not work. If you compare iBook/MacBook bezels to those of PBs/MBPs, you'll find the aluminum ones are so much thinner. That is because alu is a much stronger material, and thus the MBPs are able to have a hole drilled in the bezel for the isight.

I doubt the plastic has the strength for that.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2007, 04:31 AM

oh no, i read it wrong. i used an isight with my g3 700, not build it in to it. SORRY!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by unisphere View Post
anyone know how feasible it would be to put a built-in isight from a macbook into an ibook g3 800?
the macbook pro display bezel with isight is available for $130...
sounds like it could be fun, but does the ibook even have the ability to take the isight directly on the board? could i sacrifice one usb port?
this seems like it would be hard

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 05:49 PM

Regarding the iSight/bezel from the MBP. If you have an AASP which will sell you service parts, you would be better off with the iSight from the MacBook. As I recall, its the same (or at least same size) as the one in the MBP. It can be ordered without the bezel for much less money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules