Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP gets really hot...in target disk mode?

MBP gets really hot...in target disk mode?
slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 11:03 PM

So at the moment I'm copying some music from my MBP to my iMac. I thought I would speed up the process so I shutdown the MBP and started it up in target disk mode and hooked it up to my iMac. It's working great, except within about a minute of being in target disk mode the MBP's fans started running full-tilt and haven't stopped. It's getting really hot, as if it's taking 100% of the CPU and GPU just to act as a harddrive enclosure. I haven't had any heat problems with it so far - it's actually been a lot cooler than my old laptop was in general usage. Anyone else seen this happen?

indigoimac
Senior User
Jun 6, 2008, 11:36 PM

I have noticed this as well on two different gens of the C2D MBP, it is rather disheartening, but I'm not overly concerned... realistically the machine isn't running in that mode for that long, even a full hard drive image is a 1 or 2 hour affair at worst. My other thought is that at least the fans kick up, it would really suck if they didn't.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

slpdLoad  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 11:42 PM

Thanks for responding. At least it's not just mine. I wasn't concerned that the fans were kicking on, because i figured it was just a safety precaution since it might not have some of the sensors actively running in that state so it was better safe than sorry. I really can't see what would be producing that much heat though.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2008, 01:03 AM

Gigabit ethernet would be faster than Firewire... and you could use it at the same time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules