Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook commercial - airplane

New iBook commercial - airplane
patrickjketelaar
May 16, 2001, 09:09 PM

Has anyone seen this yet? It was on West Wing tonight. Has to be the best commercial. Apple's commercials have been better and better since ditching Jeff Goldblum. Are they still with Chiat/Day? Who else thinks the iBook commercial is good?
Patrick J Ketelaar
Aerospace Engineering student, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation

macusrX
May 16, 2001, 09:43 PM

little info... ads started on monday, there are 2 ads, the olane and universe. both are good. nice to see apple showing real use of product in ads.... (even though he does not need all that on a plane i think!)

they can be found online www.apple.com/hardware/ads

and yes i believe they are still with chiat/day

Skaught24
May 17, 2001, 06:30 PM

Man, I thought that airplane commercial was great!
"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 07:30 PM

I think the airplane commercial is great. I howled when the guy showed the clip of his girlfriend munching a carrot and the woman sitting next to him frowned ever so slightly and shook her head "no."

The only thing I'd have added is a card that said "Starting at $1,299." They give the impression that this is a super-powerful, flexible machine, and for all the audience knows it costs $2,500. The point of the iBook is that it's a great VALUE.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

SpeedRacer
Senior User
May 18, 2001, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by patrickjketelaar:
Has anyone seen this yet? It was on West Wing tonight. Has to be the best commercial. Apple's commercials have been better and better since ditching Jeff Goldblum. Are they still with Chiat/Day? Who else thinks the iBook commercial is good?
Correction: JB was still in as of the Titanium PB commercials.

The big change at Apple has been the departure of Steve Wilhite (former head marketing houncho previously from the same position at VW). All i can say is good riddance to the spinning iMacs - the recent commercials coming out of Cupertino have been 100% better (they actually have a point!)

Speed

leo steenbeeke
May 18, 2001, 06:37 PM

I don't think it's great, I only get the message that anyone as annoying as this guy is taking my tray without asking first!

lim4
May 19, 2001, 12:52 AM

I find that commercial repulsive too. Nothing worse than someone who invades your space. On a real airplane, he'd be quickly stuffed into an overhead luggage compartment by a number of passengers that were rudely woken up with the "who let the dogs out" song.

BobbyG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 02:38 PM

if some little weenie-dick Gen-Y appropriated my tray table to do his precious digital thang, he'd have to confront some truly cinematic 'air rage' to regain possession of his peenchay MP3 player.

Skaught24
May 19, 2001, 03:08 PM

Yah, and I'm also sure that you also find Star Trek repulsive because there are no such things as faster than light ships.....

Come on, it's just a commercial. Laugh at it and forget it...Don't try to psychoanalize the situation.

Peace out
"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

Janger
Forum Regular
May 19, 2001, 03:10 PM

Right. Hell, while watching the spot I thought "How come this little punk has a new iBook? He's rude and dumb... 'that's a movie I'm working on, hehe'..." Oh boy, he really is the person I think of when hearing "make your own whatever" - a lamer who thinks he's cool.
But if they all buy Macs... I didn't say anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules