Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.7.2 is out

10.7.2 is out
Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 01:31 PM

10.7.2 is out. That is all.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 01:50 PM

What about Lion Recovery Update, is it of paramount importance to update it.?

I have to update three Macs and four iOS devices with the only help of a 3G connection which, alas, has a monthly download cap. I understand that while I could download just one instance for each Mac OS X updater that's not the case with the iOS 5 update. Is that so.?

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2011, 01:57 PM

10.7.2 is out... but trying to perform an update right now is futile, at least from my location. It slowed down to a crawl (67 hours left…) and then stopped altogether. Now I can't connect to the update server.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by eggman View Post
10.7.2 is out... but trying to perform an update right now is futile, at least from my location. It slowed down to a crawl (67 hours left…) and then stopped altogether. Now I can't connect to the update server.
Looks good for iCloud...

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
What about Lion Recovery Update, is it of paramount importance to update it.?
Hmmm... Good question. I have it on a USB drive so I guess I should update that too.

---

About Safari 5.1.1 for OS X Lion

Safari 5.1.1 also contains various fixes and improvements to performance, stability, usability, compatibility, accessibility and security, including fixes that:

Improve JavaScript performance up to 13% over Safari 5.1*
Address issues that could cause hangs and excessive memory usage
Improve stability when using Find, dragging tabs, and managing extensions
Improve stability for netflix.com and other websites that use the Silverlight plug-in
Add a Show Downloads item to the View menu
Improve the consistency of the pinch to zoom gesture
Address issues in full screen that affected search suggestions, URL updating, window sizing, and the title bar
Address an issue that could prevent East Asian character input into webpages with Flash content
Address an issue that could cause Safari to open links in windows instead of tabs
Improve PDF handling
Address an issue that could affect cookie and data deletion
Address an issue that could cause History items to appear incorrectly
Correct the text in application download alerts
Improve compatibility with webpages with Flash video embedded from vimeo.com and other websites
Improve printing from Safari
Address an issue that could prevent the Google Safe Browsing Service from updating

That's good, as at times Safari has been using over 1.5 GB RAM for me and causing beachballs.

---

About the OS X Lion v10.7.2 Update

iCloud on OS X Lion includes the following features:

iCloud stores your email, calendars, contacts, Safari bookmarks, and Safari Reading List, and automatically pushes them to all your devices.
Back to My Mac provides remote access to your Mac from another Mac anywhere on the Internet.
Find My Mac helps find a missing Mac by locating it on a map and allows you to remotely lock the Mac or wipe all its data.

The OS X Lion v10.7.2 Update includes Safari 5.1.1 as well as fixes that:

Allow reordering of desktop spaces and full screen apps in Mission Control.
Enable dragging files between desktop spaces and full screen apps.
Address an issue that may cause the menu bar to not appear in full screen apps.
Improve the compatibility of Google contact syncing in Address Book.
Address an issue that may cause Keynote to become temporarily unresponsive.
Improve VoiceOver compatibility with Launchpad.
Address an issue that may cause a delay in accessing the network after waking from sleep.
Enable booting into Lion Recovery from a locally connected Time Machine backup drive.
Resolve an issue that causes screen zoom to stop working.
Improve Active Directory and LDAP integration.
Resolve an issue with Mail in which you may be unable to send through your MobileMe Mail account.
Resolve an issue with Mail when searching.
Address an issue that could cause iChat to prompt you for an account password which has already been saved.
This update also includes RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras.
Disk Image (.dmg) and installer packages (.pkg) files are no longer included in "safe" file types.

Sweet. I had switched my iMac to never sleep because it always (briefly) lost the wired network connection. I wonder what hardware I need to use Back to my Mac. I have a G4 iMac running Leopard at work. Is it Lion-specific?

---

Apple security updates

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 02:33 PM

Servers are sloooooooowwwwwww.

-t

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 10:46 PM

The servers are OK now. I downloaded the entire 10.7.2 Combo Update, about 860 MB, and it took about an hour, during which I downloaded the 453 MB Recovery Update at the same time.

The first thing that it does upon reboot is to launch the iCloud sign-in. The Mobile Me pref is still there, but it will go dark next summer. Good riddance. I never saw the point of the $$$ Mobile Me.

Now I'm checking out the remote computer/iPhone lock and stuff.

My Yahoo! calendar doesn't seem to be supported by iCloud though. So, all the entries here and on my iPhone don't work with it. I'm gonna transfer them all over to iCloud.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 11:36 PM

100 KB/sec? I'll do this tomorrow.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 11:38 PM

What's really dumb is that for every iOS device that you update, it will download the whole 700MB iOS5 update again.

How effing stupid.

-t

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What's really dumb is that for every iOS device that you update, it will download the whole 700MB iOS5 update again.

How effing stupid.
It's a different file for each different iOS device model. I wonder what would happen if you tried to update three iPhone 4 phones. BTW, it's really difficult to make "iPhone 4" plural now.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2011, 12:19 AM

Plug in iPad/iPhone/iPod and select option and click restore. Search for the file, which is in... ~/Library/iTunes/(iPad,iPhone,iPoad) Software Updates, select it to restore.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 12:19 AM

Find My Mac doesn't seem to work for my iMac. It's turned on in the iCloud prefs.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2011, 04:19 AM

If you update identical iOS devices from the same copy of iTunes, then it will only download the OS once. The files are stored in ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates.

When I say identical, obviously different memory capacities do not matter.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

chibitotoro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2011, 05:39 AM

One of these updates, I'm not sure which one, killed my 3 year-old iMac. Attempting to restart after the install, a progress bar appears under the Apple logo. Less than 10% of the way through, the computer shuts down. I tried 4 or 5 times with the same result. I'm restoring my system from a time machine backup now. Anyone with similar experiences from this update, or any thoughts at all?

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2011, 07:30 AM

downloaded, but can't install. got a check sum error.
i've downloaded several times now, same result.

anyone else?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Find My Mac doesn't seem to work for my iMac. It's turned on in the iCloud prefs.
Same here.

ibook_steve
Oct 13, 2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Plug in iPad/iPhone/iPod and select option and click restore. Search for the file, which is in... ~/Library/iTunes/(iPad,iPhone,iPoad) Software Updates, select it to restore.
I think you mean to hold the option key and click restore.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2011, 03:39 AM

Much needed update! Safari is snappier, less of a memory hog. Overall system responsiveness is also snappier, even on my starved core2duo MBP with 2GB RAM.

The update caused a huge 10GB change/increase in my time machine backup. Not much of a concern really. But it got me wishing for the ability to add notes to your time machine back ups. Would give the ability to indicate when you upgraded or what have you.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2011, 04:27 AM

Safari is more stable too. I've had a tab for about two weeks now that wouldn't load the page it should have, and crashed whenever you tried to look at it or close it. And reopened whenever I relaunched Safari. Happily its now gone.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I solved my particular Find My Mac problem using this approach:
iCloud - Find My Mac - MacRumors Forums

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 03:38 PM

Weird, since the 10.7.2 update, Mail must be resetting itself or something. It's been busily moving thousands of messages back and forth between my Yahoo account. However, I don't see any increase or decrease in message numbers in my folders.

Also, since the 10.7.2 and iOS 5 updates, Image Capture doesn't see my iPhone 4 when I launch the program. I have to launch the program first and then plug in the iPhone. Or if the iPhone is already plugged in, I have to unplug it and plug it in again to make it work.

mikalm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2011, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the tip, Eug, about opening image capture first before connecting the iphone to the computer. However, I found that by itself didn't work. I then ejected the iphone, plugged in again, but this time I had the Iphone turned on to the Camera application with Camera Roll open before I plugged it in. This time Image Capture recognized it as a device and I was able to import pictures. Has anyone else had this experience? Was it just a coincidence? Does the iphone have to be "on" when plugged in? Does it have to open to the camera application?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2011, 11:46 AM

10.7.2 just hosed my friend's system. The update got stuck at the "moving items into place" step for hours upon hours without budging. He rebooted, and OS wouldn't load, even after trying safe mode or a repair using Disk Utility.

Finally he just put the machine into target mode and transferred the data via Firewire to another machine.

I reiterated to him to NEVER UPDATE THE OS WITHOUT A FULL BACKUP.

(He had a backup drive, but hadn't backed up in a few weeks.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules