Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > aol instant messager problems

aol instant messager problems
patrickjketelaar
Mar 5, 2002, 12:23 AM

AIM will grab half the availible processor usage when ever I log in. I sometimes can get on and it displays half my buddy list, the other times it just sits there. This is the newest build, but the older one started doing the same thing today. I can log on through my win95 laptop going through airport, but not on my G4, whats up with that/anyone have any similar problems?

Patrick

g4/400/10.1.3/1 gig/dvd/cdrw(firewire)/airport (software base hack)
Patrick J Ketelaar
Aerospace Engineering student, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 12:28 AM

I have not had any similar problems but I can offer a suggestion. I you don't have to use the official AOL client try Adium, Fire or Proteus. All of these apps do a marvelous job handling AOL IM without all the headaches of the AOL client. You might want to keep a copy of the official client installed though as the 3rd party apps I've mentioned can't do file transer, buddy icons and a few other features.

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by patrickjketelaar:
<STRONG>AIM will grab half the availible processor usage when ever I log in. I sometimes can get on and it displays half my buddy list, the other times it just sits there. This is the newest build, but the older one started doing the same thing today. I can log on through my win95 laptop going through airport, but not on my G4, whats up with that/anyone have any similar problems?

Patrick

g4/400/10.1.3/1 gig/dvd/cdrw(firewire)/airport (software base hack)</STRONG>
I just started having the same problem this evening....I wonder if it is a problem with the system and not the program.

-S

mindwaves
Mar 5, 2002, 02:13 AM

Hmmm....AIM has been showing it's beachball all the time today so I had to force quit it. The 9 version works though.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: mindwaves ]

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 04:20 AM

Could be a server hiccup like the one a couple of weeks ago but, why would it only affect the OSX version? I've been using the 9 version all day today without any trouble.

Weird.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
<STRONG>Hmmm....AIM has been showing it's beachball all the time today so I had to force quit it. The 9 version works though.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: mindwaves ]</STRONG>
Same here. It was working fine yesterday afternoon and after I restarted sometime in the evening all I get is the beachball at the sign-in screen.

I've reinstalled this version, the old version, erased everything that has to do with AIM/AOL and the same thing happens.

Adium works just fine though.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

timster
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 07:43 PM

Yeah, I've been having belabored log-ons, and IM's that take forever to send. Seems like AOL's having a few problems. Im not sure what tho? I remember having a spate of similiar problems a year or two ago, and it took AOL mabye 2-3 weeks to clear it all up.

-tim

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2002, 08:18 PM

Bounce... bounce... bounce...

Ugh. Can't stand it. The AIM client is not for me - at least, not until they offer a preference to get rid of the bouncing Dock icon whenever a new message is received...

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 08:25 PM

AIM was eating CPU like crazy, so I switched to Adium (www.adiumx.com). I couldn't be happier. I suggest you give it a look-see.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
<STRONG>AIM was eating CPU like crazy, so I switched to Adium (www.adiumx.com). I couldn't be happier. I suggest you give it a look-see.</STRONG>
Adium is really fantastic - my only qualm is that the protocol it uses doesn't let me view others' Away messages. In the early days, that wasn't an issue, but now - well, Away messages have become important nuggets of my social life!

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 11:47 PM

It seems to still be working for some users despite 10.1.3, so I don't know what is causing it. I'm starting to think it may be location-based....if IMer is not working for you, could you please post your location?

Please post in the similar thread under the "Internet Software" topic on these boards....I'd like to keep everything in one place. Here's a link to that thread: (click here)

It's a shame that we have to do AOL's troubleshooting for them, but if enough people respond and we get this figured out, I'll send this off to the Mac Beta Team.

Thx.

-S

timster
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 12:05 PM

I don't think its location based. After all, some people are reporting that their OS9 client is fine, and what about all those windows users?

Actually, the last time I experienced problems with AIM, I found that using a newer screenname that I created didnt have any problems. I think its either related to certain groups of screen names, sorted either by where they're stored on the server, OR when they were created (by date).

I created my screen name back in 1997, and so did a friend, and we both are experiencing problems, then when I tried a screen name that I made last year, it works just fine.

Are the people who are experiencing problems using REALLY old screen names like over 3 years old?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 12:37 PM

I always use Adium, but I figured I'd try AOL's client since I too have a name from the earliest days of AIM, maybe '97 or earlier like timster mentioned. Well, it works perfectly fine for me.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

ruttopia
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 04:56 PM

And speaking of AIM, how hard is it to implement this:

:o

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

mindwaves
Mar 7, 2002, 12:31 AM

Fixed in this thread.

patrickjketelaar  (op)
Mar 7, 2002, 01:30 AM

wow, that other thread did it. damn divx codec, all you are is EVIL. EVIL I TELL YOU.

Thank you all for the help. gotta love mac users.

patrick
Patrick J Ketelaar
Aerospace Engineering student, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation

Forum Links
Forum Rules