Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook w/Panther? ...a little pissed

New iBook w/Panther? ...a little pissed
YZThump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 04:14 PM

So I'm a lifelong Windows user and I just bought my first Mac - a 14" iBook w/combo drive off the online Apple store. Just arrived last night and I find out it has Panther installed. I'm a little pissed off. I talked to cust serv and they are sending out a full version of Tiger, but I'm not really happy about having an OS upgrade on a brand new machine. Coming from the Windows world, upgrades mean things take up much more space, run slower, and never quite work as well as a fresh install. Will this be the case with my Tiger install?

On a brighter note, they inadvertantly sent me a free copy of MS Office.

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2005, 04:29 PM

Many people report that their computer seems much faster upon installing Tiger. This is even on older revisions of the ibook. Since you just got it, i recommend you do a erase and install for Tiger so you get maximum hard drive space and no possible application errors that some have reported with archive and install and simple upgrade (or whatever it's called).

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 04:48 PM

my ibook had panther installed too when it arrived. however, in the bottomof the box was a Tiger install DVD. like nbn said... do a erase and install of tiger so you start with a clean machine.

YZThump  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 05:17 PM

I forgot to mention, it looked like the ibook came from China as I was watching the FedEx delivery route. Is that where they all ship from? Seems strange. I know a bunch of the parts are from China, but I thought they were assembled here (US.)

So, anyone have instructions for doing an erase? Is that like formatting the hd?

thanks

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 05:49 PM

yea, all the new ones come from china

to do the erase..

pop in ur tiger dvd, let it start setting up

as soon as you see any options or customize buttons (I cant remember exactly what it says as I did the install 2 weeks ago), but u'll be given an option to do an upgarde, or "erase and install"... u want the erase and isntall. it basically formats ur drive, and then installs tiger.

YZThump  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 06:10 PM

thx mpancha

ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2005, 06:54 PM

Let's be clear-the iBook is produced in Taiwan, not China. It's a very important difference.

I bet that there are a large number of iBooks out there that already had Panther installed and are just sitting there ready for shipment. If Apple was smart (and nice to us ) they'd sell those with Panther at a discount and get even more market penetration. Just a thought, Mr. Jobs...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SkaGoat
May 14, 2005, 07:44 PM

Let's be clear-the iBook is produced in Taiwan, not China. It's a very important difference.

actually, mine shipped from China, not Taiwan.... SHANGHAI CN to be exact.

and they are assembled in China, just read the bottom of your ibook.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 08:11 PM

ditto what SkaGoat said... mine shipped out of Shanghai, CN. Dont know if it was assembled there, but that's where it shipped from.

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
May 14, 2005, 08:41 PM

I upgraded mine to Tiger from Panther and found it slow so I backed up and did a clean install. Much better!

itguy05
Forum Regular
May 14, 2005, 11:00 PM

It's not like the Windows world. My wife's iBook has had 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4, all upgraded. It is still running as reliably and as fast as the day we got it 3 years ago.

My iMac had 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 on it all upgrades before the HD went belly up. No issues there either.

I got a new PB @ the Tiger launch. Came home and upgraded it with the DVD it came with before starting things. It runs lightning fast!

OSX is not as bad as Windows (where MS really doesn't even support an upgrade) when it comes to an upgrade. MOst times they work as advertised.

Just be advised that if you do a format/reinstall you'll have to install all the apps that came with the machine (iLife, etc) off the restore DVD's - adds to the length by a considerable amount.

If it were me, I'd just upgrade and be done with it. If things don't seem right, then format/reinstall.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 11:14 PM

itguy05 >>I agree. But whenever there's any problems after an upgrade, the first question I'm always asked is "did you do a clean install, or an upgrade". Seeing as how YZthump was installing Tiger on a brand new machine, wouldn't hurt to do a clean install to start off with.

YZthump, how did the Tiger install go?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

YZThump  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 11:12 AM

I haven't gotten the disk yet from Apple. I'll definitely let you know. Thanks for all the help.

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
May 15, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SkaGoat
actually, mine shipped from China, not Taiwan.... SHANGHAI CN to be exact.

and they are assembled in China, just read the bottom of your ibook.
? mine says assembled in taiwan ?
(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2005, 04:13 PM

Mine says "assembled in Taiwan." Watching its progress on FedEx I saw it leave Taipei, go through Alaska and finally get to Texas-all in just a couple of days. In fact, it was delivered before Apple's system said it would ship!

I wonder when they moved to Shanghai?

Also, Shanghai is a commercial zone that has been annexed by Beijing-it's not like the computers are being assembled by prison/slave labor. At least no yet. This worries me...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SkaGoat
May 15, 2005, 05:37 PM

Mine's a BTO 12" that I ordered in March, and it was assembled in China

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2005, 06:11 PM

All there products will say designed and developed in California. NOT assembled there. They never claim to assemble them there but they are designed and developed in America.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

ChasingApple
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 03:22 PM

Careful with that erase and restore option, if you want OS 9 classic support still do the upgrade the OS option, Tiger will NOT install classic
iMac G4 / Macbook

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
Careful with that erase and restore option, if you want OS 9 classic support still do the upgrade the OS option, Tiger will NOT install classic
I did a clean install of Tiger on my PowerMac 1.8GHz. I installed Classic from the original disks that came with the system.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 10:48 PM

Here's an article that goes over installs (clean, archive & installs, etc)

http://www.robservatory.com/archives...rades/#more-19
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

ChasingApple
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
I did a clean install of Tiger on my PowerMac 1.8GHz. I installed Classic from the original disks that came with the system.
Cool, just didnt want an oops to happen
iMac G4 / Macbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules