Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Poll for HD-DVD owners

View Poll Results: What will you do with your HD-DVD disks and players?
Poll Options:
Return my HD-DVD player and unopened disks to the store if I can 2 votes (8.70%)
Sell all of my HD-DVD players and disks and NEVER go blu-ray 0 votes (0%)
Sell all of my HD-DVD players and replace it with BR disks and players in the future 3 votes (13.04%)
Keep all my HD-DVD equipment but consider BR disks and players in the future 12 votes (52.17%)
Continue to buy new HD-DVD disks till Toshiba officially throws in the towel 0 votes (0%)
Too pissed off to want either format now 0 votes (0%)
Sell my HD-DVD players, keep my HD disks and buy a combo player 2 votes (8.70%)
Go out and buy as many HD-DVD players and disks on clearance as I can find 1 votes (4.35%)
Other (please list why) 3 votes (13.04%)
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll
Poll for HD-DVD owners
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 06:48 PM

Since the news is hot off the press it probibly sunk in to a lot of HD owners yet but I am wondering what you will do from this point on now that Warner went exclusive to BR to try to rid the market of HD-DVD.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 06:49 PM

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
One is a poll the other is not.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
One is a poll the other is not.
Wasn't a poll here when I posted.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Wasn't a poll here when I posted.
Blame MacNN or Canada. I can't add a poll after the fact so don't look at me.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:35 PM

other: play both formats on my dual player and wait to see who wins

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 10:14 PM

Why would I get rid of my HD-DVD player?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why would I get rid of my HD-DVD player?
Why don't you tell us why you don't want to rather than answering with a question?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Why don't you tell us why you don't want to rather than answering with a question?
I was asking for a reason that would make me want to get rid of my player. There seem to be no options that say "I love HD-DVD, I'm keeping it." The poll options make it seem like all of the HD-DVDs in the world just blew up and it's no longer a valid option.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I was asking for a reason that would make me want to get rid of my player. There seem to be no options that say "I love HD-DVD, I'm keeping it." The poll options make it seem like all of the HD-DVDs in the world just blew up and it's no longer a valid option.
nope but if it goes up in smoke one day good luck getting a new one other than on ebay. Also sucks having a separate player just for the odd 5 disks in he one might have.

PaperNotes
Jan 5, 2008, 09:35 AM

I hope they get a good exchange program so they can trade in HD-DVD discs for Blu-ray discs. It would help kick Blu-ray sales up another gear and be good public relations towards those poor sods who bought HD-DVD.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 12:20 PM

I have a $99 HD DVD player and Netflix. I'm good to go.

I will return 3 of my unopened movies though, and I will not be buying a single HD DVD from here on.

I have a $99 player, a $30 Transformers, and Planet Earth, which was a gift. I'm not very heavily invested, and I would buy this $99 player again if I had to do it over.

Not a big deal.

I'm glad the war is basically over. I'm going to hold out for a cheaper PS3 or a cheap Blu-raqy standalone.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 12:33 PM

So... can we basically all agree that Blu-ray has won?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
So... can we basically all agree that Blu-ray has won?
Maybe in the US. HD DVD supposedly has the lead in Europe and there are lots of BD movies available in HD DVD that can be ordered online from amazon.uk and other euro sites
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 01:02 PM

I was hoping the Samsung dual player would hit the stores at the rumored price 400 euro/500 and change US, but it kept getting pushed back. When the A2s went on sale and the final price minus the free disks= free, I bought one. The BD UP5000 is now in the stores at the lovely price $999.99 at BB. Once a 2.0 player hits the $199+free disks price I will buy one.
45/47

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 01:19 PM

I also have a $99 HD DVD player that is a better than my crappy old non-upscaling DVD player so there is really no sense in getting rid of it. Especially since I won't be getting a Blu Ray player at until the price goes from "hell no" to at least "maybe".

I only own TWO whole movies in HD DVD so no biggie. They're not gonna stop working or anything.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Maybe in the US. HD DVD supposedly has the lead in Europe and there are lots of BD movies available in HD DVD that can be ordered online from amazon.uk and other euro sites
I thought HD-DVD was doing even worse outside of the US?

But yes. After yesterday there is not a chance in hell for HD-DVD unless other companies defect to HD-DVD but that isn't going to happen now.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 01:37 AM

Keeping my HDDVD player and watch the 400 titles available for rent from Netflix. Should last me more than a year. Not smart for me to buy a $400 Bluray player now. We might have two losing Hidef formats, so why take the risk twice?

Perfectly happy with my HDDVD player and the titles available for it.. I don't see people throwing away their PS2 when PS3 came along.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Keeping my HDDVD player and watch the 400 titles available for rent from Netflix. Should last me more than a year. Not smart for me to buy a $400 Bluray player now. We might have two losing Hidef formats, so why take the risk twice?

Perfectly happy with my HDDVD player and the titles available for it.. I don't see people throwing away their PS2 when PS3 came along.
No, one of the formats will win. For as much as everyone here is foaming at the mouth... many people just like walking into a store and buying/renting a movie. They don't want to download it, they just want to walk over to a player and put the disk in the player and watch the movie.

The major downfall of downloading legal movies is they aren't portable (moving from one house to the next) after their downloaded without a number of additional steps.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 02:00 AM

No, one of the formats will win. For as much as everyone here is foaming at the mouth... many people just like walking into a store and buying/renting a movie. They don't want to download it, they just want to walk over to a player and put the disk in the player and watch the movie.

The major downfall of downloading legal movies is they aren't portable (moving from one house to the next) after their downloaded without a number of additional steps.
Just because there is a better format then the current standard doesn't mean it'll win.

Laserdisc never replaced VHS tapes.
DVD-A never replaced standard CDs.

What makes you think Bluray will definitely replace DVDs?

Most consumers are happy with the Picture Quality of their DVDs. Most consumers don't even have a surround sound setup in the home to watch movies in.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 03:01 AM

Just because there is a better format then the current standard doesn't mean it'll win.

Laserdisc never replaced VHS tapes.
DVD-A never replaced standard CDs.

What makes you think Bluray will definitely replace DVDs?

Most consumers are happy with the Picture Quality of their DVDs. Most consumers don't even have a surround sound setup in the home to watch movies in.
I wish the high-def DVD push had held off for several more years. I'm a perfectly content DVD guy; I really don't believe that DVDs need to be replaced yet.

Just like any other tech lover, I've been attracted to the quality of BluRay and HD-DVD, but I think that this is being pressured on consumers unnecessarily. DVD was a huge step up from VHS tapes; I don't believe the leap from DVD to BluRay is nearly as significant. Yes, it's beautiful, but I'm still not sure most people are ready.

I believe the PS2 era ended too quickly in the gaming world (yes, I know it was an average lifespan), and I wish these companies wouldn't be so motivated by a possible profit that they keep ending good things too quickly. I think it would even be in their best interests in many cases.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 03:05 AM

Most consumers are happy with the Picture Quality of their DVDs.
Most consumers want the best picture they can get on their new HDTVs.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Just like any other tech lover, I've been attracted to the quality of BluRay and HD-DVD, but I think that this is being pressured on consumers unnecessarily. DVD was a huge step up from VHS tapes; I don't believe the leap from DVD to BluRay is nearly as significant. Yes, it's beautiful, but I'm still not sure most people are ready.
VHS tapes coexisted with DVDs at the video library for many years.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 03:08 AM

Most?

And they're also willing to spend $10 more per disc (for now, at least) to begin replacing their libraries?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Most consumers want the best picture they can get on their new HDTVs.
Yes, they might want it, but the question is are they willing to big a lot more than their current DVD setup. If Bluray players and movies cost the same as DVD, I don't see any reason why customers wouldn't make the jump.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 03:18 AM

Most?
Yeah you're right. EVERYBODY wants the best picture they can get on their new HDTVs.

And they're also willing to spend $10 more per disc (for now, at least) to begin replacing their libraries?
DVDs cost more than VHS at the onset. Yes, people are willing to pay.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 04:10 AM

we just got a 1080p 42" tv and let me tell you, watching a DVD piped through s-video blows... it's a non-upscaling player, but still it sucks compared to "renting" a HD movie through on-demand (comcast)...

I hope BR wins though...

Zach

Rumor
Jan 6, 2008, 04:43 AM

I'm perfectly happy with my current tv and xBox as a DVD player.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
we just got a 1080p 42" tv and let me tell you, watching a DVD piped through s-video blows... it's a non-upscaling player, but still it sucks compared to "renting" a HD movie through on-demand (comcast)...

I hope BR wins though...

Zach
When you pipe a DVD image through s-video:
*you get 480i, which is basically 240p in high action video
*two color signals share the same wire, causing color shift in some occasions

Get a TV with component input and your DVD image won't blow anymore.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 10:42 AM

I know one thing for sure, I won't be buying a Sony player. A Samsung, a Sharp, anything but a Sony.
45/47

PaperNotes
Jan 6, 2008, 10:46 AM

I know one thing for sure, I won't be buying a Sony player. A Samsung, a Sharp, anything but a Sony.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
45/47

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
When you pipe a DVD image through s-video:
*you get 480i, which is basically 240p in high action video
*two color signals share the same wire, causing color shift in some occasions

Get a TV with component input and your DVD image won't blow anymore.
My tv has two component inputs, my DVD player only has s-video and RCA outputs, I pretty much need to upgrade DVD players to one with HDMI...

and I have got to say that monoprice.com has some KILLER deals on HDMI cables, I got two 6ft HDMI cables, two Component +audio cables (6ft), a 6ft s-video cable, and a 6ft optical cable for $35 shipped!

6ft HDMI cables
S-video
toslink (optical)
Component cables

they work great!
Zach

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 03:25 PM

Most?

This was my view as well until I started to shop around a bit more. I have about 15 Blu-ray movies. 90% of them I paid $19 or less for... the same price as some of the new DVDs. Most new releases are at most $24.99, if you go to the right places. Best Buy, isn't the best buy for HD movies unless they are having a sale. Start shopping at Fry's or Amazon and the movie prices are about the same as DVDs in store. I've even gotten a few catalog titles for $9 on Blu-ray.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 03:29 PM

most of the HD/BD disk are $19.99 at Fry's
45/47

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 06:58 PM

I'll keep my HD-DVD player but just won't buy any more disks for it. Not a big deal, since I only ever bought one HD-DVD anyway, I just rent the ones I want from Netflix. I have a PS3 as well, so anything I want to buy, which isn't much, I'll just get on Blu-ray.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2008, 07:02 PM

I have noticed that most BR titles are normally only $3-5 more than the DVD which is worth it to me.

PaperNotes
Jan 7, 2008, 11:07 AM

Recordable Blu-ray discs are looking pretty good too now and will keep getting cheaper. Currently 12 euros for a 25GB Blu-ray recordable versus 14 euros for a 15GB recordable HD-DVD.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 12:22 PM

It's really not that hard to download it anymore. The newer Tivos make it really easy. I can rent something on Unbox and it will be available to start watching in less than 15 minutes on my Tivo (you can watch while it is downloading). It's easier than going down to the store and waiting in line. The downloaded rentals aren't full of previews and other crap that can't be skipped because it's all flagged as unskippable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules