Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3G talk vs Edge Talk times

3G talk vs Edge Talk times
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 08:09 PM

Something I have been confused with since the 3G was announced.

The chart says with 3G off the talk is 10 hours vs 3G on the Talk is 5 hours.

Does this mean that if you have the phone on and using typical data + Talk it reduces the talk time by 50% or is it if you just turn on the phone and ONLY talk you also only get 5 hours of talk on 3G?

If the talk time is cut in half just by using 3G is it because it uses a higher bit rate the the audio quality is better? Does the iPhone switch into a totally different radio mode with other bonus' such as signal strength?

I think it is crazy that 3G takes up that much juice and it proves that it was smart apple left it out of 1.0.

If this is the case I think I will just leave 3G off typically as I don't need it more than edge for my email and google mapping. I'd only turn on 3G if I was going to do some serious web surfing or youtubing. If it doesn't even offer better audio quality I can't see myself giving up that much battery power.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2008, 09:32 PM

3G does offer better audio quality, though I'm not sure exactly why. It could just be that the 3G standards require a better level of support from phones, so certain minimums can be bumped up to increase quality. In any case, yes, voice will be using the 3G radio and this is where the extra power consumption comes in. Turning off 3G doesn't just artificially cap bandwidth or something, it forces the phone to use edge and the associated radio.

From the tech specs:
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Those are the two radios in the unit, though I'll let someone answer how much actual hardware is involved in putting both in.
<This space under renovation>

Cold Warrior
Jul 10, 2008, 09:43 PM

3G (3GSM) uses a higher-quality vocoder, which gives you the better voice quality.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 09:53 PM

My God if even a year ago the 3G power consumption was much worse i'd hate to think of what the talk time would have been.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I think it is crazy that 3G takes up that much juice and it proves that it was smart apple left it out of 1.0.
Not really. If the battery life argument was the real reason, we wouldn't have 3G now either.

better audio quality
Supposed to be much better, probably both due to the encoding method as mentioned, and maybe the hardware too.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Not really. If the battery life argument was the real reason, we wouldn't have 3G now either.
You haven't been keeping up with the news. About 7 months ago they came out with a combined 3G chip that used waaaay less energy then the previous generations. In the east 3G wasn't selling that well because the battery life on 3G phones was 1.5-2 hours.

Steve also said that the power drain is too high and it would take about a year before it was efficient enough.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
You haven't been keeping up with the news. About 7 months ago they came out with a combined 3G chip that used waaaay less energy then the previous generations. In the east 3G wasn't selling that well because the battery life on 3G phones was 1.5-2 hours.

Steve also said that the power drain is too high and it would take about a year before it was efficient enough.
Yeah the chipset was a bit late, but we didn't get such an iPhone for Xmas either. Also, the 1.5- 2 hours claim is false.

3G wasn't selling that well here cuz the phones suck and the data rates were astronomically high. In Asia, 3G sold very well, but their data (and voice) rates are much better.

Basically I think it's a combination of technology improvements, OS improvements, and just as importantly, marketing. They knew they could sell a whole bunch of EDGE phones, esp. in North America, and then resell the 3G version to a lot of the same people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules