Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > I'm also an Apple employee . . .

I'm also an Apple employee . . .
Tim England
Oct 11, 2000, 03:52 PM

After seeing the response to Sal in the Mac OS X General forum, I definitely see the benefits of the interaction between an Apple employee and the users of this UBB. So, I am here to offer my services as well, to help out as best as possible.

Like Sal, I am here as Tim. I work for Apple, but my comments are my own. I also will not discuss unannounced products or speculate on the direction of Apple. Heck, most of the time, I know just about as much as you do.

I am a Web Producer for the iTools team, part of the Internet Services group. My day to day activities include working with marketing and engineering to make iTools the best it can be. Before working at Apple, I worked for a Graphic Design/Production/Pre-Press company as their IT Manager. Before that, I served as a Certified Apple Technician, where I was a Service Manager. I have been working on Apple products for most of my life, and have a passion for both their hardware and software.

I'm here to help people with questions or concerns about iTools specifically, or Apple in general. I will work hard to answer questions the best I can, and if I can't answer them, I will work to find out who can. And no, I don't know Steve Jobs personal email

With that, let the questions begin.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2000, 04:28 PM

welcome Tim, and thanks... post away, wherever/whenever you can help

Cipher13
Oct 12, 2000, 02:26 AM

Excellent, nice to see another Apple employee on the boards
This is great, more user/developer interaction can only mean good things!
How about getting some of your buddies here as well?
So now we've got Sal from AppleScript, and you from iTools, hopefully more Apple employees open their eyes and see the benefits of this...
Welcome to MacNN

Cipher13

iPaul UK
Senior User
Oct 12, 2000, 07:23 AM

It would be great is someone from the Apple Marketing team came here.. Then we could give them a real slating for thier shoddy work.. No disrespect to you of course Tim

TallGuyGT
Oct 12, 2000, 04:00 PM

Tim, I can't seem to get write access on my iDisk. Any suggestions? I've tried setting access permissions but that didn't work. I can look at the iDisk but I can't store anything on it. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tim England
Oct 12, 2000, 04:17 PM

TallGuyGT said:

Tim, I can't seem to get write access on my iDisk. Any suggestions? I've tried setting access permissions but that didn't work. I can look at the iDisk but I can't store anything on it. Thanks for any help you can provide!
This is a very common question. The iDisk is set up so that a user only has read/write permissions in the folders located on the iDisk, (i.e. Pictures, Movies, Documents, etc), but can't "write" or change the "root" or top level. This is set up this way on purpose to help keep the layout of the iDisk as simple as possible. We recommend to people to put files in the right area (i.e. jpg's in the Pictures, mov's in the Movies) to help them remember what is what.

BobW
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2000, 10:36 PM

If you job is to make iTools the best it can be, why not do something about the mac.com email. It really sucks. Always going down.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2000, 11:10 PM

I say that our next Apple-employee goal should be someone on the Mac OS X team. We could really give them a piece of our minds

Anyway, welcome to the forums Tim. I use my iDisk fairly often, very easy to work with, although the speed could use a bit of improvement.

Convince your Apple friends to join us here and perhaps we could start an "Apple Employee" forum for questions you guys would be good at answering. And people, make Sal a moderator for the AppleScript forum...

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2000, 10:51 AM

Tim,

I re-installed OS9 on my G4 400 with AGP graphics. Then I put the 9.04 upgrade over it. Then I installed the Epson 740 driver. The chooser will not accept it. It says either appletalk is on (it isn't) or another app is tying up port(it isn't.) The UBS icon is not there to selct as port. Just a phone and a printer icon. My USB is fine..it is not a hardware problem with the computer..what the heck is wrong? The printer worked fine on my imac with system 8.6

Richard

Originally posted by Tim England:
After seeing the response to Sal in the Mac OS X General forum, I definitely see the benefits of the interaction between an Apple employee and the users of this UBB. So, I am here to offer my services as well, to help out as best as possible.

Like Sal, I am here as Tim. I work for Apple, but my comments are my own. I also will not discuss unannounced products or speculate on the direction of Apple. Heck, most of the time, I know just about as much as you do.

I am a Web Producer for the iTools team, part of the Internet Services group. My day to day activities include working with marketing and engineering to make iTools the best it can be. Before working at Apple, I worked for a Graphic Design/Production/Pre-Press company as their IT Manager. Before that, I served as a Certified Apple Technician, where I was a Service Manager. I have been working on Apple products for most of my life, and have a passion for both their hardware and software.

I'm here to help people with questions or concerns about iTools specifically, or Apple in general. I will work hard to answer questions the best I can, and if I can't answer them, I will work to find out who can. And no, I don't know Steve Jobs personal email

With that, let the questions begin.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2000, 11:06 AM

disable the Epson USB Series extensions, perhaps... that fix was posted months ago on these fora

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2000, 11:29 AM

Is it a problem with OS 9.04?

Originally posted by wlonh:
disable the Epson USB Series extensions, perhaps... that fix was posted months ago on these fora

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2000, 11:32 AM

indeed 'tis/'twas/seems to be

click this

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-13-2000).]

Tim England
Oct 13, 2000, 11:56 AM

I say that our next Apple-employee goal should be someone on the Mac OS X team. We could really give them a piece of our minds
We have been working really closely with the Mac OS X team for a while now. When Mac OS X Public Beta shipped, iTools was there with full compatability for HomePage, iDisk, iCards, iReview, and email.
One thing I think people don't realize is just how complex a process they are undertaking. They are fully integrating a truely modern user interface with the power and flexability of unix. No other company or developer has even come close to making a consumer level OS of this type. I think people also aren't giving the Interface Designers the credit they deserve. The have a really tough job, in that they have a very high standard to live up to in Mac OS 9. They have to make things as familiar as possible, yet designing elements for the future that we don't even know that we need yet, but when they come, we will take them for granted. I also think this time around they aren't trying to do everything, instead leaving a lot of room for developers to make tools to make the OS work like WE want it to. My style is different than yours, and yours is different from my Mom's. Yet, this OS needs to be flexable for everyone, every type of user. I think they are doing a fantastic job, and deserve our support and admoration, as well as constructive feedback.

Anyway, welcome to the forums Tim. I use my iDisk fairly often, very easy to work with, although the speed could use a bit of improvement.
Speed is always an issue with a product like iDisk. But, if you notice, the speed has dramatically increased since we launched in January, and is even better under Mac OS X Public Beta. Our Systems Engineering staff is really working hard (and doing a great job, I might add) to keep performance up. AFP is a tough protocol to integrate on the internet (it never was really designed for it) because it is so chatty. But, right now, it is the easiest way for people to access their iDisk. We may even have a few tricks up or sleaves shortly, so stay tuned!

Tim England
Oct 13, 2000, 12:00 PM

If you job is to make iTools the best it can be, why not do something about the mac.com email. It really sucks. Always going down.
Some of the problems with mac.com email have been an Apple general problem (i.e. the Quicktime Live! broadcast that set a new streaming record!), and some have been within our team. Our biggest problem so far has been growth! It is a nice problem to have, but our engineers are working hard on solving the problem.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2000, 11:57 PM

Hi Tim. It's great to see another Apple employee post in this forum. I have a quick question about iTools. My question mainly has to deal with HomePage. Will Apple offer a larger and better selection of categories and templates for creating web pages? I really liked the selection of templates for Photo Album and iMovie but I think that the Personal category could use a wider range of templates. There are only 6 templates available and 4 of them are newsletters with just a different season. I was hoping you could add templates that could be used specifically for a Start Page. Where you can give visitors an introduction to your website or yourself.
Other than that, I really enjoy using iTools. I mainly use the Photo Album to share pictures with relatives across the country.

p.s. - You're right. Accessing and transfering files to iDisk today is way faster than it was during it's introduction.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2000, 10:44 AM

Thanks Tim, I use iTools an love it's of use. I have recommended the iMac to several people most of which use iTools. I also appreciate your professioal responses.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2000, 10:58 PM

I REALLY like the UI on the Hompage site. Really spiffy. How did you guss do that?

------------------
CLOWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phaedrus
Oct 16, 2000, 03:03 AM

Hi Tim, thanks for taking the time to interact here. It shows that Apple really does care about consumer feedback when its employees frequent forum discussions. If only we could get some Motorola engineers to come and post here, we would all have lots to say, I'm sure!

------------------

Tim England
Oct 16, 2000, 11:48 AM

Stogieman said:

Will Apple offer a larger and better selection of categories and templates for creating web pages? I really liked the selection of templates for Photo Album and iMovie but I think that the Personal category could use a wider range of templates. There are only 6 templates available and 4 of them are newsletters with just a different season. I was hoping you could add templates that could be used specifically for a Start Page. Where you can give visitors an introduction to your website or yourself.
We are looking to add more templates all the time. We just released a few more, including a really cool Widescreen iMovie template, and are now looking to add new ones every month or so. We also will have season "theme" templates comming soon. And as for a Start Page template, hmmmm.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2000, 10:56 PM

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?!?!?!
Come on, i want to do some super simple video editing with some of my raw iMovie clips. I think that would be cool. You give the EDL and the Apple Servers and Quicktime go over and render and edit it, becuase too many times I have had to sacrafice quality for size of the file.

------------------

MauroCol
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2000, 02:38 PM

Welcome again, Tim, and thanks for your answers and collaboration!

1. I thank the slow transfer of iDisk was because I'm from Colombia, but I have red about 5 minutes for the access... then, my 30 or 45 seconds aren't so bad...

2. However, I think we (all people) would use iDisk more extensively if the speed increases 50, 100 or 200%. What do you think?

3. I have red about iMail problems... [email protected] is my principal account now (I use it with OE 5.0.2) and it's quickly and stable.

4. My two real questions:
a. I connect very easy and quickly with my iDisk, via the Chooser. But I can't connect to other iDisks, because the "guest" option is desactivated... How can I activate it?
b. I have an iMac DV+, IE 5.0, and iTools installer 1.0.3. I have to reinstall frequently. What happen?

Thank you for your help, Tim!

Mauricio Jaramillo M.
Journalist
Best regards from Colombia!

_______
MaurOS X
IT Journalist
http://www.infotech-colombia.com

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2000, 05:49 PM

How about the KeyChain atcually working with the iDisk.I stores it but always asks me for my password

------------------

anonym
Oct 18, 2000, 06:06 PM

Hi Tim

Well, I have a problem and hope you could help me...if not, anyway thanks for reading

ComputerowerBook G3 500 mhz,
Operating System: Swiss-german MAC OS, 9.0.4

Firmware Update: version 2.4 maybe german or multicontry, I don't know anymore

Firewire Update: version 2.4 german

I work with a VST firewire pocket drive and try to have the very latest firmware,firewire,modem and everything updates...to get the best performance of the system but...

For the german macos the is no NEW Firmware, Firewire, Modem updates, only for the English-northamerican os...

So I decided to take the following solution:
I want to install the macos 9.0.4 english north-american version..

1.- Could there generate problems if the powerbook was originaly shiped with swiss-german configuration (example: keyboard, os, ?) if I would make the firmware latest update, firewire apple latest update, modem latest update with the english-northamerican versions

2.- I wanted to get the Software Restore and Software installation CD's in english northamerican languaje. I'm making reference to the CD's that originaly come in the box with the computer (in my case in german) but nobody in Apple Europe and Apple USA stores can tell me further information about. Where to buy them, product number? what would happen if I loose them?
How can I get a replacement?

Well those are the problems, thank you very much in advance
anonym

mkb
Oct 18, 2000, 10:35 PM

I bought OS 9 to get iTools, and have been happy with it. The improvements over time with iTools have been very noticeable, so keep up the good work.

I would love to be able to access my mac.com email from any web browser instead of having to access via my mac, since I am forced to use a PC a work. I would switch to that as my main email server if you could implement that feature. Thanks.

Thunderbird
Senior User
Oct 22, 2000, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by mkb:
I would love to be able to access my mac.com email from any web browser instead of having to access via my mac, since I am forced to use a PC a work. I would switch to that as my main email server if you could implement that feature. Thanks.
I agree. Seems like being able to access Mac.com e-mail with a web browser would drive a lot of traffic to Apple's web site. Why isn't this feature available?

Cory
Oct 23, 2000, 02:54 PM

Tim,

I have a very urgent question regarding iTools. I really love iDisk and I've been using it to host my webpage. However, when replacing files on the iDisk with newer versions, they sometimes do not show up in people's browsers for days. I assume this is due to all of the different servers used to host the iTools homepages across the world, but it's a major problem for me. Sometimes replacing the file on the iDisk twice helps. If my webpage won't update when I need it to, it's a major issue. Is there anything that can be done about this? Your help would be hugely appreciated.

-Cory

VRL
Senior User
Oct 26, 2000, 01:22 PM

Tim,

Thank you for answering our questions!

Odd thing keeps happening. Yesterday, I updated iTools and Communicator. I attempted to log on (hit the Member button) and it won't let me in. Says I need to reinstall. I reinstalled ... didn't help. I reinstalled and started to sign up again, but it didn't work either. Nevertheless, my e-mail seems to be functioning just fine. Any idea whats going on? (I'm using the same computer I used when I signed up the first time; G3 400 with a registered copy of OS 9.0.4.)

BTW, I read and enjoy both threads ... yours and Sal's.

In reference to "anonym" ... I picked up a used Mac (with a Spanish OS installed, Spanish keyboard). Without even thinking about potential problems, I installed an English version of an older Mac OS and it is working fine. (Keyboard is a bit wierd, but I can deal with that.) I don't see a problem with doing this. Should I?

Also, couldn't you just get an English version of the Mac OS from Apple-US?? I'm an American living in Germany, but have had no problem buying computer products in Germany or France. Don't know why it would be difficult for you.

Best wishes to all. Long live APPLE!!!!
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

OsakaBill
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2000, 02:32 AM

I am having problems using Netscape 4.76 to access iTools.

The problem started while using Netscape 4.75. At first, everything was file while using Netscape 4.75. The suddenly, when attempting to access iTools, instead of getting the log-in page, I got the main info page where new members can sign in. I clcicked on the existing members buttong and was told that my browser was either not set up correctly or that iTools was not installed. Odd, considering that before verythng was OK. I double checked and iTools Plug-in 1.02 was installed. Cookies was enabled as was Java and Java Script.

I quit Netscape, relaunched it and tried again. Same thing.

I downloaded the iTools installer and installed iTools again. Still, Netscape would not access the site.

I do not have a problem using Internet Explorer 4.52 or 5.02. Only Netscape. And this is a new problem.

I did make a couple of changes. On my iMacDV+, I placed all of my browser plug-ins into the folder called "Internet Plug-ins" in my System Folder. I then placed aliases of this folder in all my browser folders. On my PowerBook, I placed all of the browser plug-ins into my Netscape Plug-ins folder, then placed aliases in my System Folder and other browser folders.

On my PowerBook or iMac DV+, I cannot access iTools now. On my PowerBook and iMac DV+ I can use Internet Explorer 4.5/5.0 without problem.

Any ideas? (I have trashed my Netscape preferences. Ihave upgraded to Netscape 4.76. These steps have not helped.)

------------------
Resistance Is Futile--Think Different

OsakaBill
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2000, 02:34 AM

When will iTools support other browsers? I prefer to use iCab over Netscape and Internet Explorere, but despite having the iTools plug-in installed, Java and Java script on, and accept cookies on, iCab cannot log into iTools.

------------------

anonym
Oct 30, 2000, 02:52 PM

Hello VRL

Thank you for your answer...

Well I haven't tried to install the macos u.s. version and I won't, I think I will wait for more feedback

The European Apple support hot-line I call, couldn't help me with the matter. I'm really afraid to loose the garanty or to have to send it to the European Repair Facility if something goes wrong.

The problem arraised when I wanted to upgrade the modem firmware and I asked myself, why there is only an update version for english us/english international versions and not for other languajes??? Until now no one has a nice detailed answer.

I couldn't get the English-US version of the Mac OS in Apple Store Europe becouse they don't sell it. They only sell the English-International

I couldn't get the English-US version of the Mac OS in Apple Store USA becouse they are not aloud to ship computer parts outside of the U.S.

Apple Support in the U.S. told me the english-us and english-internationational versions are endeed different

Well, thank you very much for your help, have a nice day, and I wish (hope) LONG LIFE FOR APPLE too

anonym

VRL
Senior User
Oct 31, 2000, 05:37 AM

Hello again,

Perhaps Tim will pass the problem of "anonym" to his colleagues at Apple. Of course, the reason I have no difficulty getting US software is because I am a citizen. Also, products I have purchased in Europe had multiple languages on accompanying CD's - worked out great for me. Anyone know what would happen if one would use an English modem updater with a French or German OS installed? (Now, I'm very curious.)

Follow-up question for Tim ... is there a different way to access iDisk (since I'm having difficulty using Communicator)? Note that I really do not need iDisk; nevertheless it would be nice to have this working.

Final comment ... I like the idea "mkb" mentioned, too!

Regards ...
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

VRL
Senior User
Nov 11, 2000, 06:28 AM

What happened to our Apple employee?
Busy working on improvements to our favorite OS, I hope :-)

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2000, 07:01 PM

I know some people might agree with me and some people might not, but... what about making email at mac.com a web based AND an email client based interface, like Microsoft has done for Hotmail and OE 5.x. For example... say I want to check my email from a friends PC or at school and they don't have Macs, well, I'm pretty much SOL unless they have OS 9 and iTools installed. Although I could go messing around and set up my account options in OE for Windo$e, but who wants to get technical with M$ crap?!?! Other than that, I have had no problems with my email on mac.com and I'm happy to say I love my mac.com!

PS: What about making email for mac.com available to PC users? Just a thought? Please don't flame me people

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham

[This message has been edited by iPond317 (edited 11-11-2000).]
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2000, 12:23 PM

Tim,

I love iTools. I think it is an incredible accomplishment! I only have one things I really NEED out of iTools. I need to be able to check my mac.com e-mail address via a web browser, the way yahoo mail or hotmail allows me to view it and still download it to my client. I know Hotmail uses some proprietary protocol, but Yahoo mail just uses POP3 to do it.

Is the iTools team considering this at all? Right now the only reason why I am using yahoo mail over mac.com mail is the browser access to mail while I am at work.

Please pass this request on to the WebObjects programmers and see what they can come up with!

Thanks and great to see you here!

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

AlbertWu
Nov 23, 2000, 05:37 AM

Mac.com email with web-based access would be an exremely cool idea, but I would really like it if it supported IMAP. Currently, I have to forward to an IMAP service (which is a pain.)

------------------
--
http://students.harker.org/us

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2000, 11:49 PM

I concur with the idea that mac.com should also be web based,
people could check their email when they are away or when they can't
change the settings of an email program.

But mac.com still stays my main email address anyway, very cheap way
to get a lot of presence and advertisement for Apple IMHO.

Ciao

thalia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2000, 08:59 AM

Hello Tim,

I would like very much to use the iDisk to transfer some items from work to home, but our office uses a firewall (SOCKS proxy). Is there anything I can do so that I can use the iDisk?

Thanks!

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2000, 05:22 PM

Appologies for the redundancy, but I too would like to see a Web-based area to access my mac.com account. I currently have to default to Hotmail whenever I'm not at home or work, and that's not a great deal of fun. IMAP access would be extra cool as well, but Web-based would be more useful to more people I'd imagine.

Additionally, I've had intermittent problems connecting to the servers, sometimes for hours at a time. While this is certainly annoying, even more so is that there's no where I can go on Apple's web site to find information on server status -- up/down, estimated time down, etc. I don't want to complain much as this is obviously a free service, but you can see how this can be frustrating.

Forum Links
Forum Rules