Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Running OS 9.1 GM

Running OS 9.1 GM (Page 2)
the siren
Dec 10, 2000, 09:27 PM

Unfortunately the current version of 9.1 doesn't work as the classic environment for OS X. I haven't figured out yet why it doesn't work, but thats what the documnetation said.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2000, 01:12 AM

I still think MacOS 7.1 and 8.5.1 are the best MacOSes ever. Now, if there was only a way to get 8.5.1 on my G4. Anyone know Fourth & a litle MacOS ROM hacking?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

tdominey
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2000, 04:58 PM

I for one am running OS 9.1 and it's really, really smooth. Everything feels snappier / quicker, especially the Finder. I did have some quirky Finder problems when I installed 9.1 over 9.0.4, so I went back and did a clean install of 9.1 and moved my old extensions / sys stuff back. Surprisingly, I haven't found an app that conflicts with it yet.

The trash keyboard shortcut is nice, very nice, though it doesn't really work unless you're in the Finder. If you're in an app, the keys don't respond. I have a pro keyboard on a blue and white G3, and I'm happy to report that the 4 infamous keys (vol, mute, disc eject) finally work beautifully. I could never get those developer USB extensions to work.

I think 9.1 will have to be a CD upgrade. As a test, I booted from a 9.0 CD and tried to select my primary HD as my startup disc. Nothing happened. It couldn't "see" my 9.1 sys file. So if you ran into a problem, you'd be stuck without 9.1 on a CD.

---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

Cipher13
Dec 12, 2000, 02:25 AM

You can hold Option at startup, and that will see the 9.1 and 9.0 and whatever else you have.

Cipher13

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2000, 07:54 PM

I have installed 9.1 on my computer and first thing i hafve noticed is that is uses a bit more RAM that 9.04 but that is minor cuz RAM is cheap these days. In my experience so far with 9.1 is that without VM it uses about 15-20 more megs of RAM. Second I have found it MUCH more stable and faster than 9.04 . Also I think at MacWorld SF when Apple releases the Final of 9.1 and/or OS X final or update I'm sure Classic 9.1 will work under OSX. I don't think Apple will Charge for 9.1 because it really isn't a MAJOR update like it was going from 8.6 to 9 or from 7-8.x But either way I would still buy it. One reason is because I can't stand Windows and the second is that in my mind whether or not it happens but I feel that when I buy a version of the Mac OS it is helping to proliferate the Mac and the Mac OS. To Mr Jobs the War with Microsoft maybe over but in the trenches the War is still not and will not be over. We have a more stable OS than Windows and one that is easier to use. When Mac OS X is finally released we will have something special and MUCH more powerful and stable than Windows could ever hope to be.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Phaedrus
Dec 12, 2000, 08:01 PM

Is 9.1 faster because its better optimized for Altivec? Or is the code just optimized for better speed?

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Dec 16, 2000, 08:59 PM

When you guys installed 9.1, did you get any help file errors when installing? I installed over 9.0.4 and wasn't too happy with the new layout it did of my folers. It stuck my utilities, and internet folders all into the applications folder. I wonder what effect It would have it I formated the drive and the did a complete "fresh" install onto the HD. Any thoughts?

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2000, 01:02 PM

Something else that 9.1 fixes that nobody mentioned is the Temporary Items folder. Things behave once again like they did under 8.6, with Temporary Items getting moved to the trash on reboot. About damn time too! I just hope TCP/IP apps in classic will now work under the next release of OS X. I find it kind of silly that Classic apps can't access the Internet over an OS X dialup connection!

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2000, 12:07 PM

Also, FireWire ZIP 250s work out of the box with no Iomega drivers needed!

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2001, 08:50 PM

I think that OS 9.1 relocating the folders that were once in the root of the drive is a minor and personal nuisance. After all, OS 9.1 runs, faster, cleaner and does not crash as much. There are also better color management features under the hood and most of the latest updates and drivers are right out of the box, so to speak.

For all of you who complain about it not being up to par. I would seriously do a clean install of OS 9.1. Better yet, I did a total back up and reformat of my boot drive and I am quite happy. Just, don't make dirty installs and then complain. I also noticed that OS 9.1's installation trashed IE4.5 and replaced it with IE5, tsk, tsk as I use IE4.5 to test pages. Well, I am glad I did a new install after battling with the dirty install!

I really think OS 9.1 GM is very close to a finished product, after all I have been running in the same manner and vigor as OS 9.0.4 and I do have to give OS 9.1 a thumbs up!

Specs: PowerMac G3 400, 26 gig HD, 640 mb of ram, Zip 100, SCSI, and no external third party devices as of yet.

[This message has been edited by zoopsia215 (edited 01-02-2001).]

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2001, 08:53 PM

Cipher is a MacOS genius. I would listen to him

------------------
Ruby
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

Vic2001
Jan 2, 2001, 11:40 PM

Advise if you can help me to find it . I am interested to try OS 9.1. Would appreaciate a lot.

Thanks,
Vic.

[This message has been edited by Vic2001 (edited 01-04-2001).]

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 3, 2001, 02:56 AM

Just curious.....will older PPC's run OS 9.1? Or like OSX will it only be usable on G3's or higher?

Mike

Cipher13
Jan 3, 2001, 03:58 AM

Hehe, thanks Ruby
Vic, OS 9.1 is only available to Apple developers.
If you email me at [email protected] I can tell you more about the seeding program...

Cipher13

Cipher13
Jan 3, 2001, 04:01 AM

It will work on anything that 9.04 worked on.
Doesn't have to be a G3.

Cipher13

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2001, 11:57 AM

Hey Vic2001! I am not sure what you mean by "tru" OS 9.1 site links. By the way you have included that quote I am sure you are wishing to know where to get a copy of it. Geeze! I get the illegal hint, lol.

Well, I would wait until at least Macworld and see if it is released then and please do not solicitate piracy and illegal exchange or aquiring of the such. After all, there were some late minute bug fixes even when in GM stages. Good luck and happy hunting, else where :-P

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2001, 08:57 AM

Well I managed to get OS 9.1, however I didn't install on my G4 since it should be announced in about 5 days.

However, I did install it on another G4 and my Powerbook G3/500. Here is one problem I'm already having.

When I try to connect to my G4 through the base station (via Airport) from my Powerbook kind of locks up. I can't do anything but move the mouse around. I have to restart it, force-quitting doesn't help. I tried connecting tothe Powerbook from my G4 and it too locked up. I guess there's something in OS 9.1 (aside from some bugs) that doesn't allow it to communicate via Airport like it should. Although I haven't read any problems anyone else has had with OS 9.1 and networking through Airport, so it could be just my machine(s).

I do get ocassional freezes and system quits on my the PowerBook with OS 9.1 than I did with 9.0.4.

I'm gonna keep 9.1 on this machines until the REAL 9.1 is available.

------------------
Camali.
--------------------------------
All good girls go to Heaven.

Cipher13
Jan 5, 2001, 06:27 PM

Yeah, there were Open Transport bugs all the way through.
You don't have the final one.

Cipher13

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2001, 11:32 PM

Well, it looks like from what the media says that OS 9.1 is going to be released on Tuesday and will be downloadable. Hopefully they will have ironed out some of the bugs by then. I have been running OS 9.1 GM for weeks and found it very stable, save for the notoriuous memory leeks of Apple OS's.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2001, 11:41 PM

Mac OS 9.1 has just been declared GM and made available to developers.

I don't think what any of you "obtained" 1-2 months prior is actually the GM...
http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=1931

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2001, 12:47 AM

Anyone know if it is available to ADC Student Members? I don't seem to see it on the ADC website...

CyberDave

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2001, 01:02 AM

Not available to students for download... only Select and Premier.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 8, 2001, 01:31 PM

Mac OS 9.1 has just been declared GM and made available to developers.
If that's true then does that mean we won't be seeing it at this weeks expo?

Totally confused here

Mike

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2001, 02:04 PM

If what the some internet sites are saying is that the GM is going to be an update available online. Supposedly a 72mb download. Unless you have a dsl or cable line at home, you'll be OK (depends on how many users are downloading at the same time) or unless you have access to a T1 at work, you should be able to download it in no time.

Depending on traffic I'll probably do it at home where my DSL line is at 76K a second!

------------------
Camali.
--------------------------------
All good girls go to Heaven.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2001, 07:52 PM

Do have a cable providor in your area? I get up to 450k/s with my cable modem. Not always on one single transfer however, but combining 4 100k transfers is always nice.

I hope I'll be able to obtain the GM with the usual 150k/s I get from Apple's servers.

best wishes,
Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules