Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > On again, off again

On again, off again
voyageur
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 09:58 PM

One of my colleagues has a RevA 17" PowerBook. She brings it back and forth to work many days, and this week when she brought it home it would no longer boot. The caps light would come on and the disk sound like it was booting, but the screen stayed black. She brought it back to work, and it booted fine. Brought it home, it wouldn't boot. Reset the PMU, repaired permissions, ran fsck, but still sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesn't. When it does boot, it runs fine. She upgraded to the new 10.2.8 a few days before this started; no other changes made since it was purchased 6 months ago.

Anyone know what would cause an intermittent boot problem?

voyageur  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 05:28 PM

*bump*
There are so many smart people reading these boards SOME ONE must have a clue...

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 05:33 PM

More information.

What does she plug in in each place before booting?

Why reboot? (Not as dumb a question as it sounds --- if you just sleep, you can bring it home and see if the logs give you any info.)

Any VPN or anything going on at work? Wireless? Ethernet?

How's the battery?
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

voyageur  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 06:55 PM

Thanks for responding.

All she plugs in is the power supply and the ethernet connector. It has Airport, but she isn't using it. No VPN, or anything special. The battery seems fine. Why reboot? Just to transport it safely, I guess. I didn't think of the logs...that's a good idea.

The only thing I can think of is that something is loose somewhere--perhaps in the video board? And that's why it sometimes works. I guess in that case she should just send it back to Apple for repair.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 01:20 AM

As an Apple Certified Portable Technician, my gut says logic board. We see this a lot, where the machine just goes crazy. Sometimes it boots fine. Sometimes it will crash and then not boot again for a while. If you can get into OF, it might bring it back temporarily. I'd bring it in for repair.

Oh, and if you don't have AppleCare, it's definitely a worthwhile investment.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

voyageur  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 08:54 AM

Thanks. We did finally send it in for repair (have AppleCare ) and they replaced the video card. It's been a month and it's working fine now. To Apple's credit the turn-around was very fast (3 days).
Unlike the replacement video card for our G5, for which we've been waiting 3 weeks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules