Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AlBook spots (was: 15" Aluminum returned for that one issue?)

AlBook spots (was: 15" Aluminum returned for that one issue?)
iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 09:10 PM

Since we don't want to mention that issue for fear of having this post deleted, I'm not going to mention the problem, that's already on a sticky above...

I'm wondering when you've

a) sent in your powerbook,

and
b) when it came back (in what time frame)?

thanks.

gif32
Nov 19, 2003, 09:59 PM

This is of great interest to me too. I have the box sitting here ready to go to Applecare, but...

I read about delays on the forum so I asked the tech about LCD supplies before he sent the box, and he said there was no way he would have of knowing (this is after he denied any knowledge of a wide-spread problem)

He told me I have a 45-day window of opportunity to send in the box, so I had him go ahead and send it. When the box came the next day there was a different phone number, so I called them. The first rep put me on hold for a while to "ask the people who would have that information" but she came back and told me they were all in a meeting and I should call back later.

I called back later and the new guy said there was a long delay currently on LCD's (without putting me on hold), and that they're processed first-in, first-out except for "expedited" cases which he said they can't issue too many of. I asked when would be a safe time to send it in, and he just said to wait -- because "now that we have a fix" there may be a rush as soon as people see that the LCD stock is up. I asked him specifically which part was being replaced and he said the whole top case (woohooo- maybe my latch will work reliably when it comes back too). He also said I only have 30 days with the box before the repair request gets deleted from Apple's system.

The second guy sounded young, and maybe just a little eager to share information, but at least I got SOMEONE to talk some sense for a change. I just plan on calling back every week or so to check. I really wish they'd have some sort of system in place for "we'll call you when we have the inventory straightened out" but oh well.

If anyone has gotten a new PowerBook LCD (whatever the reason) from Apple recently, please let us know how long it took! Or if they still have your computer...

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 04:25 AM

I'll just get the box, as you did, and wait it out. Luckily at work, I utilize an external monitor, but it sure is getting annoying, staring at it, when I do look at the, ahem, anomalies.

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 10:08 AM

For me, I sent my Powerbook back on Tuesday the 4th for issue mentioned, the same day I got my box, and it was on hold for parts for a week and a day. It just came back last Tuesday, the 18th.

I haven't seen it yet, as I'm at my apartment at college, and I sent it to my house. But apparantly they replaced only the LCD, not the enclosure as some people have had--it was part 646-0175. From the Apple forums, it seems this part is an LG display, and people with it have had good results with respect to the problem, but forgive me if I'm skeptical.

machem
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by BearOso:
For me, I sent my Powerbook back on Tuesday the 4th for issue mentioned, the same day I got my box, and it was on hold for parts for a week and a day. It just came back last Tuesday, the 18th.

I haven't seen it yet, as I'm at my apartment at college, and I sent it to my house. But apparantly they replaced only the LCD, not the enclosure as some people have had--it was part 646-0175. From the Apple forums, it seems this part is an LG display, and people with it have had good results with respect to the problem, but forgive me if I'm skeptical.
They are now replacing the whole lid/display. If they just replace the LCD, the problem will return, I'm pretty sure. My first repair was just the LCD (I have a little mark on the bezel that was still there after the repair).

I think it is safe to send in machines for repair now. They have a fix, but it may be slow going. Normally this repair would have a three-day or less turnaround. I think right now it could be anywhere from those three days to three weeks (!).

It may be a good time to peruse the "Special Deals" section of the Apple Store --- 1.25GHz SD PBs for $2099. I'm sure this particular PB will be there soon.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 12:21 PM

I sent mine in last wednesday after about three weeks of living with the 'problem'. I was waiting because of all the posts I saw of people sending in their PBs two and three times. So I finally got the box and sent it in. I called Applecare yesterday to check up on the repair and was told that it was done and being tested. The tech told me that there was a couple day delay while the LCD was on order, but all repairs had been completed and it should be shipping out either yesterday or today (Thursday). It would be nice to get it back before the weekend. I'm sure I won't get it until next week. Especially with Airborne's delivery track record. They can never find my house!!

-b

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by machem:
They are now replacing the whole lid/display. If they just replace the LCD, the problem will return, I'm pretty sure. My first repair was just the LCD (I have a little mark on the bezel that was still there after the repair).
That was my first reaction. "They replaced the LCD only? That's not going to fix it." But perusing the apple boards for my part number shows people happy, so we'll have to see what happens. My theory is that maybe they are just replacing the whole lid for simplicity--rather than fixing the problem, just replacing it. This may be especially true given that it is difficult to get the LCD off the machine, resulting in damaged bezels. But as I said, I'm skeptical. Is there anyone here with just part 646-0175 that can comment?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 20, 2003, 02:43 PM

Don't try to trick me. I read these threads, not just the titles.

Use the existing thread. Yup, the sticky one you don't wanna mention.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules