Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dashboard

Dashboard
leperkuhn
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 08:15 AM

I've been doing some reading of a few different forums regarding dashboard, and it's interesting to read some of the thoughts. I have some of my own.

#1. The whole concept of the widgets are not new. yes they have been implemented by a third party developer but that happens all the time. who really complained when apple released safari?

#2. While konfabulator has some cool features, it will not convince anyone to buy a mac when they are using it at an apple store.

#3. Apple probably wanted certain widgets to be in the system. Does anyone expect them to release those widgets under konfabulator?

#4. I think this will be something that becomes an essential part of the OS. However, the tie in to Expose is what will make it so important to me. I can't even count how many times i've wanted something like this, and I have not been happy with what's out there already. Apparently Apple felt the same way.

The fact of the matter is that the goal of a computer company is to sell computers. Relying on another company to deliver something like this is silly. By including it with the OS you're increasing the value of the computer. I will be quite happy to see this included.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 29, 2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
I've been doing some reading of a few different forums regarding dashboard, and it's interesting to read some of the thoughts. I have some of my own.

#1. The whole concept of the widgets are not new. yes they have been implemented by a third party developer but that happens all the time. who really complained when apple released safari?

#2. While konfabulator has some cool features, it will not convince anyone to buy a mac when they are using it at an apple store.

#3. Apple probably wanted certain widgets to be in the system. Does anyone expect them to release those widgets under konfabulator?

#4. I think this will be something that becomes an essential part of the OS. However, the tie in to Expose is what will make it so important to me. I can't even count how many times i've wanted something like this, and I have not been happy with what's out there already. Apparently Apple felt the same way.

The fact of the matter is that the goal of a computer company is to sell computers. Relying on another company to deliver something like this is silly. By including it with the OS you're increasing the value of the computer. I will be quite happy to see this included.
Agree++

That and the fact that some of us are old enough to have used Desk Accessories. The kids these days...they think this stuff has only been around a few years. It's been around for 20 years folks.

I still think Apple could (and should before release) do a better job at making these widgets not look so ugly.

When I saw those leaked screenshots, I was sure they were fake 'cuz I couldn't believe something so ugly could come out of Cupertino.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 08:22 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=218405
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=218479
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=218342

Don't want to be rude... but maybe your thoughts would be better in one of the many threads openned on this subject

Forum Links
Forum Rules