Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > XT-Stand

XT-Stand
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 11:30 AM

I saw an add in a recent issue of MacWorld for the XT-Stand, a retractable laptop stand that appear to blow most everything else out of the water. The website says it will work with any laptop between 12-19 inches. I know many Powerbook users (like me) are always in search of the 'perfect' laptop stand for their Powerbook, and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this stand. At about $50 its not cheap, but the design and look of it would be well worth the money.

http://xt-stand.com/

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
I saw an add in a recent issue of MacWorld for the XT-Stand, a retractable laptop stand that appear to blow most everything else out of the water. The website says it will work with any laptop between 12-19 inches. I know many Powerbook users (like me) are always in search of the 'perfect' laptop stand for their Powerbook, and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this stand. At about $50 its not cheap, but the design and look of it would be well worth the money.

http://xt-stand.com/
Holy Engrish Batman. The translation on that page leaves something to be desired, but the product looks interesting. Does anyone have real world experience with this?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 12:19 PM

The website in the USA is www.xtstand.com

George

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 12:32 PM

My aunt has this for her 17 inch PowerBook, she likes it a lot better than iCurve, as do I.

meatyocre
Jul 31, 2006, 02:43 PM

Hmmm...for half the price of the X-Stand the Targus Mobile X delivers the features and quality.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 11:57 PM

i have the xtstand with my 12" powerbook, love it.
i got my GF one for her 15" pb...

having said that, the targus ripoff, i mean, similar stand looks like a good deal...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2006, 12:29 AM

I prefer the iCurve, the main reason I have it is because I don't have to slouch down to look at the screen. I can just sit back without having my neck hurting all day. Plus, it's cheaper too.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
I prefer the iCurve, the main reason I have it is because I don't have to slouch down to look at the screen. I can just sit back without having my neck hurting all day. Plus, it's cheaper too.

the xt stand (and the targus) are great, as they fold up small.
i take mine when i travel, and to coffeebars (where, actually, no one laughs at it).
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2006, 07:42 PM

I use an iCurve, and like it, but if I were buying now, I might go for the Laptop Desk Ultralight, because unlike the X stands, it doubles as both a desktop cooling stand and lap heat shield. Doesn't look like it raises the 'book quite as high on the desktop as the iCurve though, so I wonder if it'd cause neck strain when I'm using it on the desk with an external keyboard.

mak743
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 10:46 PM

I just got an ILap I think its great I use it on the couch a lot it is very comfortabke

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2006, 05:07 PM

Looks great... I'm tempted to get one, but all their pages on their USA site appear to be dead links... gallery/reviews/contact/reviews etc...

You can still buy through paypal... but I just don't have the confidence to do so right now...

Unless anyone else can verify a recent successful purchase through their site?

w.jeffrey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 05:24 PM

the dead links and all are what deterred me from ordering the xt stand. instead i found the nearest best buy to my house and bought the targus mobile x stand and am using it now. works great

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=AWE09US

just type in your zip code to see where it's sold

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by siflippant
Looks great... I'm tempted to get one, but all their pages on their USA site appear to be dead links... gallery/reviews/contact/reviews etc...

You can still buy through paypal... but I just don't have the confidence to do so right now...

Unless anyone else can verify a recent successful purchase through their site?

[FONT="Arial Black"]Sorry about the dead links on the www.xtstand.com. It looks like the ISP made a change and I wasn't aware of it. My webmaster came back from vacation today(my son) and he did a temporary redirect until the ISP fixes the problem. We are still accepting orders and are aware of the Targus rippoff. Thanks for your interest and comments.
George[/FONT]

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2006, 04:49 PM

I have THREE of the Targus X stand, and I'm very pleased with them. They're light, easy to use, very effective and only $30. I like that!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cLin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 03:04 AM

For those X stands, can I put that on my lap or is it something more of a desk thing. I need to find something for my lap that is also small and portable so I can take it to class since I like to type notes on my lap rather than the desk (too high, very uncomfortable for my hands).

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 08:56 AM

The XTStand is designed for use on flat surfaces like desks, not laps....

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by cLin
For those X stands, can I put that on my lap or is it something more of a desk thing. I need to find something for my lap that is also small and portable so I can take it to class since I like to type notes on my lap rather than the desk (too high, very uncomfortable for my hands).
What kind of desk are you using? I've never had a problem with the typical lecture hall notedesk that's part of the chair-at least not with the height of the desktop. I have had problems with no legroom, wrong seat height and so on, but not desk height. On the other hand, the tables used in some smaller classrooms can be a real problem. They might be quite tall, quite short, or just not work with the chairs they put in the room. Colleges aren't great on ergonomics sometimes.

You could use any of the X stands on a notebook placed on your lap, but it wouldn't be very stable at all.

cLin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 07:19 PM

It's jsut that the desk is too small. Since it is a lecture hall, we slide the desk table out of the side and it can barely fit my laptop let alone have my arms in a comfortable situation. I found the best to just have it sit on my lap but it gets so damn hot I need to move every 10 seconds. I wish there was something portable similiar to the iLap

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 03:55 AM

FWIW:

The XTstand is nice and solid, and seems very durable.

I really don't know how the Targus one compares.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2006, 07:52 AM

The Targus stand is light, yet substantial. Once you put it on a surface and put your computer on it it's THERE and won't move around, and neither will the computer move around on it. My wife's iBook is now permanently on her Targus X stand on her desk-until she takes it out to the patio (which won't happen soon-we won't see sub-100ยบ highs for a long time!), when she'll take the stand with her and put it on the table out there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules