Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screens on MBP

Screens on MBP
Bollo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 01:25 PM

Hi, just a quick question:

Is there a significant/worthwhile difference between the glossy screen and the matte?

Thanks.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 03:16 PM

Common users find the glossy screen to have more rich, vivid colors, while graphic designers and the like prefer the matte screen for its more accurate color reproduction. Some people claim the glossy also has problems with reflections, but in general it's not a problem.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Common users find the glossy screen to have more rich, vivid colors, while graphic designers and the like prefer the matte screen for its more accurate color reproduction. Some people claim the glossy also has problems with reflections, but in general it's not a problem.
To that I'd add some people claim the matte also has problems with washing out in sunlight, but in general it's not a problem.

spanties
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 11:18 PM

Crap, I can't decide if the glossy or matt is better for me, the glossy has REALLY NICE color but the matt doesnt have that reflection problem. Anyone??

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2007, 01:12 AM

Take the glossy; it just looks so much better. For the once a month situation where you have glare, reposition yourself and your laptop a bit and it goes away.

Black_Rain
Jan 3, 2007, 02:54 AM

i was in the same boat as you... and me not being a graphic designer... i chose glossy

the glare problem is more minimal than i thought and i RARELY ever have a problem...

but make sure u get a good alcohol free/lint free/amonia free screen cleaner... if u are anal about your screen like i am...

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2007, 10:58 AM

You don't have to be anal to want to clean the glossy screen regularly-it shows stuff more easily than the matte screen does. I use a high quality "paper rag" type paper towel dampened with filtered water to clean my matte screen, and it works fine on my son's glossy Dell screen too. Make sure you do not leave the screen wet, because whatever it in your water may evaporate out and stay on the screen-YUCK!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules