Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > dual boot (OSX + XP) questions

dual boot (OSX + XP) questions
little a
Feb 9, 2007, 12:36 AM

hi all

former mac user (my first computer was a performa!), currently long time windows user, thinking about coming back but i have some questions:

i'd like to get a macbook but i would need it to run windows XP. if i use boot camp, is there a way to set up the macbook to run windows natively (or almost natively)?

what, if anything, will not work on a macbook as it would on say a thinkpad?

thanks,

alfio

ibook_steve
Feb 9, 2007, 01:58 AM

That's what Boot Camp does. It lets you run Windows XP natively. What's important is what works on the MP that wouldn't work on the ThinkPad. Why, it runs Mac OS X, of course!

Steve

pcguy1
Feb 9, 2007, 09:16 AM

and the only reason why your ThinkPad would not run OSX?
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

little a  (op)
Feb 9, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by pcguy1 View Post
and the only reason why your ThinkPad would not run OSX?
pcguy, if i get your question, yes, you are right, my thinkpad could run OSX but it would never really do so natively. it's close, very close these days, but it wouldn't really work perfectly with my graphics card and i'd have to get a new wireless card. i'm lookin for stability + dual booting. until that's possible on a thinkpad running OSX, the only other option -- at least IM) -- is to go the macbook route.

alfio

Bollo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 01:54 PM

Some questions on installing XP on the partition:

Does it matter if I use the OEM version?

Could I use an HP operating system CD which is for reinstallation and repair only?

Thanks

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2007, 04:49 PM

The OEM version XP install disc "should not" matter, unless the installer looks for some sort of hardware ID-Dell discs do this and Dell has a way of hiding what it's looking for somewhere deep in the machine so you can't find the spot on some other hardware and spoof it. (This is why you can get a full-blown copy of XP Pro (Dell only) for about $10 at computer shows.)

The only bad thing that could happen is that the Windows XP installer would quit on you because your Mac is not an HP. No permanent problems.

A "reinstall and repair" disc is NOT a standard Windows install disc, and probably won't do what you want.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Bollo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 06:05 PM

ok so just a normal OEM disc from a windows package will be fine?

also as i dont really know about these things-what is the difference between an oem and a normal version?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 07:32 PM

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture, Sold with Hardware of some description, designed to be bundled with a built pc. Doesn't come with a fancy box or even a manual.
'Normal'/Retail = The shrink-wraped version in green/blue boxes that you see on computer store shelves (or you did before the Vista launch).

The disks for both versions are identical, as far as I am aware. Although some large PC manufactures do modify the XP installer to ether look for hardware 'keys' (see Dell above) or stick loads of crapware on the default install.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
The disks for both versions are identical, as far as I am aware. Although some large PC manufactures do modify the XP installer to ether look for hardware 'keys' (see Dell above) or stick loads of crapware on the default install.
...or BOTH!!! Again, see Dell above.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Bollo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 05:53 AM

Can you buy one which is not linked to any manufacturer and bypass the potential problems?
it just stikes me as odd that they sell both and theres no difference except the ridiculous price

Forum Links
Forum Rules