Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > No sound in XP. Sigmatel. Any fix?

No sound in XP. Sigmatel. Any fix?
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 07:37 AM

I've tried installing from bootcamp (drivers) several times, i've tried opening the sound drivers on the dvd, and i've even copied and pasted the installer onto the desktop and opened it there. no matter what i try the sigmatel drivers will not install. it states that there is a problem with that driver, but since it's 3.30 and i've been getting 4 hours of sleep a night (or less) trying to get bootcamp set up properly (first time i couldnt upgrade a regular xp install to sp2 even with sp2 disks, but now that i found a workaround, i find that i have no sound at all.

no sound device either.

but sound is totally fine in os X.

Anyone have a fix or some kind of updated driver/installer?

Thanks.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 29, 2007, 09:13 AM

Did your installation actually include SP2 or not? SP2 introduced a completely different driver model, so the drivers provided with Boot Camp ONLY work with SP2 and later updates to XP. Unless you REALLY have SP2 installed, a LOT of the Boot Camp drivers will not work.

Check the "slipstreaming" thread in the reference sub-forum for how to make an install disc that includes SP2 from an original that doesn't.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 03:48 PM

hmm it's supposed to have sp3 beta. all the other drivers loaded fine, just the audio device. =/

the only options i have is xp without any service pack (i have sp 1, and sp 2 on seperate disks sent from microsoft. (they dont seem to install the service packs afterwards)

and this one with sp3 beta. do i need to find one with sp2 only, and try to re-install again?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 29, 2007, 10:45 PM

Never heard of SP3, beta or not-but I'd stay away from any betas for an initial install in any case. I'd go specifically with XP+SP2, which is what Boot Camp was designed around. And since I don't know anything about an SP3 I can't say, but it's possible that another driver platform tweak is part of that, which could hurt drivers written to work with SP2.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules